PDA

View Full Version : How to widen the front track width of an FS2?

rcpower
29-04-2012, 06:24 PM
This weekend somebody told me that widening the front(and also rear) track width of my FS2 would be a good thing to counterstrike traction rolling(astro).
My tires(yellow mini spike) were already cut(front 2 rows outer - 1 inner, rear 2 rows outer, 1 inner), ride height 18mm, front stabi(1.5) but still it was sometimes tricky.

After measuring the car it was 246mm in front(so there is some room to adapt). How on earth can one do that on an FS2? Is there an aftermarket brace with inserts for the front available(just like the ones on the rear? Or do you guys uses different front arms?

rcpower
29-04-2012, 07:03 PM
don't know if anybody realized already that law36-37 are a direct fit for the front too :D and we have an adjustable front (very easy to widen or narrow)

http://users.telenet.be/kempower2000_/rc/IMG_4261.JPG

DaSloth
29-04-2012, 07:11 PM
i guess the easiest way to change the track would be to add washers between the hex and wheel, but to be honest, i wouldnt personally be using track to remove grip roll.

HTH

traffman
29-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Just remember when it comes to scrutineering the car must fit in the box , and widening it may cause issues.

Gayo
30-04-2012, 08:00 AM
A friend tried to widen his FS2 with homemade arms holders, but with +2mm each side he was loosing the dogbones.

By looking at your pics, you seem to have a really low roll center setting. On the front camber links, try a 1mm washer inboard and 2mm washer outboard, it should help with the roll. Also, I think that your front roll bar is too thick, 1.2mm is a max, any more and it can lead to more grip roll, not less.

HTH!

njc11
30-04-2012, 11:29 AM
If you want to widen your track use the new wider wheel hexes.. :thumbsup:

http://www.jespares.com/electric-models?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=13093&category_id=1285&keyword=umw5

They are approx 2mm wider

Cheers

Nick
:thumbsup:

rcpower
01-05-2012, 08:31 AM
Many thanks for all you replies, I will certainly follow your advice (roll bar settings, camber link washer).

Now that we are talking about grip roll, what are the most important steps to tackle this problem and in which order of importance? Please complete this list and correct me if I am wrong.

1) cut some rows of spikes front and rear
2) roll bars (not too thick then I guess ?)
3) ride height/shock limiters
4) camber link angles

thanks in advance guys!!!

RogerM
02-05-2012, 11:34 AM
It very much depends on what is causing the grip roll (front or rear end sliding then biting, too stiff ARBs / springs, too much tire ... etc etc etc etc).

The more info you can give about car setup, track surface, layout and when the grip roll bites you (into/out/mid corner ... sweepers or rapid direction changes etc etc etc) the more help I can offer.

I'll do my best :)

rcpower
02-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Okay Roger, we mostly race on outdoor high grip, not really bumpy, astro tracks. The sweepers aren't the problem, it's more on enter or mid turn sections(rapid direction changes like you say). I was told that an arb can cure this problem, so I did put in a 1.5mm rollbar? Like Gayo earlier said it might be just too thick?

Here are some settings(out of my mind)

front: ARB 1.5, silver springs, 2c piston 450 kyosho oil, 2,5mm internal limiters, outer hole on arm, inner hole on tower, schumacher medium inserts (too soft?) , yellow mini spike, 2 outer and 1 inner row cut, axle spacer is up, 7degree caster block
front toe 1degree in

rear: no ARB, light yellow springs(too soft compared to front?) 3b piston 350 kyosho oil, 1mm internal limiters, middle hole on tower, outer hole on arm, schumacher medium inserts, yellow mini spike, 2 outer and 1 inner row cut. (don't know exact law36/37 insert combination but rear toe was set to 2degree)

ride height front/rear 19mm
camber front/rear 1degree

pinned slipper

Roll center, caster etc are all standard settings

I will be happy to find out if it's a real bad setup or almost there...

many thanks!

RogerM
03-05-2012, 11:30 AM
The important bits missing are the camber link positions / spacing.

I only ever run in the outer hole on the wishbone on MEGA grip smooth carpet, otherwise it's always mid on front and in on rear. By running out on the wishbones you increase your @ wheel spring rate (stiffer= more likely to grip roll) and put lots of inclination (angle) in the shocks (so increasing the tendency of the car to roll mid corner).

I will try to get you a full setup ASAP but in the meantime please look up your link positions / spacing.

rcpower
04-05-2012, 06:28 AM
Front camberlinks: longest position with 1.5mm under inner ballstud
Rear camberlinks: longest position with 2mm under outer ballstud(on standard wheelhub)

Thanks for the help, it's highly appreciated Roger!

RogerM
04-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Those links are a little long ... will post up a setup later from Ledbury (grippiest astro I've come across)