oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Team Associated (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   C4.1 Chassis (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86056)

TommyG 22-01-2012 07:40 PM

Did you take the optional weights and if so which ones?

bigviking 16-02-2012 06:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I borrowed a C4.1 chassis from a Danish pro driver and you can see on the picture how the kick-up front is seriously bend to the right.(front view)

I borrowed this chassis because I need a mold/guide for my C4.1 carbon fiber chassis. I like the Rudebits idea of a carbon chassis for the C4.1.
I will post my C4.1 carbon chassis in a few days:)

Stef 17-02-2012 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigviking (Post 621706)
Hi,

I borrowed a C4.1 chassis from a Danish pro driver and you can see on the picture how the kick-up front is seriously bend to the right.(front view)

I have the same problem, my chassis is bent in length after two races ...
CML is what is going to find a solution?

Chris-DC5 17-02-2012 11:53 AM

A composite chassis is the way to go but people need to stop cutting into the chassis to mount motors .5mm lower or add weights. etc. it takes so much strength out of the chassis.

Looking forward to your results.

TommyG 18-02-2012 03:22 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I drove the RudeBits carbon chassis tonight for the first time.

First let me say that I'm new to racing and so my ability is average as well as my descriptive knowledge of how the car drives so forgive my simplistic view on the chassis.

I've now raced 5 meetings at Ribble and every time I've ended up in the C final.......until tonight! :woot:

I made the B Final!! With the new chassis I instantly took a second off my lap time and in the final heat took 2 seconds from my personal best. In my mind that speaks volumes of the chassis, I can't see that my driving has improved so much in one week so it can only be the chassis, which proves what an improvement the carbon chassis is over the original. I think it grips so much better than the ally one and the car feels like it has much more steering through the corners. It feels light on it's feet if you will and more precise, I think the word is nimble.

Now, if only my driving was as good as it looks :lol:

bigviking 18-02-2012 07:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm in the making of carbon fiber chassis for the C4.1.
it only took 1 day to make 3 pieces. I will test 2 different types of chassis. one with 2 upper carbon chassis braces and one without.

sosidge 21-02-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigviking (Post 622547)
I'm in the making of carbon fiber chassis for the C4.1.
it only took 1 day to make 3 pieces. I will test 2 different types of chassis. one with 2 upper carbon chassis braces and one without.

Ever considered running the un-milled chassis, with a small spacer under the gearbox instead?

That full-width slot on the chassis looks like an enormous stress raiser.

mistkerl 22-02-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigviking (Post 621706)
Hi,

I borrowed this chassis because I need a mold/guide for my C4.1 carbon fiber chassis. I like the Rudebits idea of a carbon chassis for the C4.1.
I will post my C4.1 carbon chassis in a few days:)

I have the same problem! Any Statement from CML yet?

bigviking 24-02-2012 07:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is my latest version of the C4.1 carbon chassis.
It has 6 x 6mm brass sides (weight of chassis is about 200 grams)
The chassis will be testet by a Danish pro driver next week.
More pic will come later.

janus_77 24-02-2012 08:05 AM

:blush: oeps.... accidental post

flipside 24-02-2012 11:15 AM

Looks like everyone is trying to protect their chassis :thumbsup:

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94400

http://www.rc-offroad.be/komet-products.htm

Chequered Flag Racing 24-02-2012 12:32 PM

CML have posted similar chassis brace on FB

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...11547009_n.jpg

flipside 24-02-2012 12:42 PM

Seen it too... Komet brace is intentionally not carbon fibre, and the spacer setup makes it a lot better than screwing it directly onto the chassis (tested on track).

Also the komet brace goes over the front assembly posts, making it stronger also in that area (I had a chassis that was bent there, even though you would think it is rigid there). You do need to drill extra holes, but you don't need new front posts :)

DCM 24-02-2012 12:48 PM

The only downside of doing chassis mounted bracing, is it still won't fully protect against the chassis bending on frontal impact. The bracing would need to go from the upper part of the front bulkhead to the top of the front battery posts.

flipside 24-02-2012 01:08 PM

Even that will not protect it 100%. My chassis was even bent in the front, before the 3 posts where the whole bulkhead construction sits.

Plus, I would rather get rid of these battery posts, and making a topdeck so high will probably touch the bodyshell and be in the way of electronics etc...

You would be surprised how much stiffer it gets 'longitudinal' (is that the correct word?) by simply using the spacers under the brace, it creates a structure like a real topdeck.

If you still bend the chassis permanently with these braces, that would equal a broken chassis if it would be plastic. You can't make it bulletproof :)

DCM 24-02-2012 01:13 PM

No, I agree, if you make the chassis bullet proof, then you smash everything else. The issue really, is the use of alloy was there as a handling provision, it made the car softer than a carbon chassis, but in doing so, the zero bracing from bulkhead to battery leaves a weak zone, so anything is better than nothing.

flipside 24-02-2012 01:21 PM

Yes that's how I see it too :-) And after trying to make a bent chassis flat again, I decided to reduce the risk of bending in the first place... (cause bending it back was no big succes :()

I was surprised that the torsional flex was still ok with the brace attached, and I also believe that the torsional flex in the nose and no torsional flex in the back (where it already was stiff because of the battery U-shapes and battery brace on top), is no good. I'd rather have a slightly stiffer chassis that has a constant flex over the whole length, than a softer one with varying flex.

DCM 24-02-2012 02:41 PM

The option for that, is to go with a thicker chassis plate, and possibly mill pockets for the lipo and rear end to sit in, this would give you a stronger chassis, little extra weight, and probably only need 8th scale type bracing.

bigviking 24-02-2012 06:26 PM

Both the epoxy and carbon bracing won't prevent the chassis from bending and 30 € is a little stiff. My carbon chassis with side brasses is only 100 €
I made these carbon chassis in cooperation with some Danish C4.1 drivers and they told me to put brass on the sides.
More info regading test of this chassis will come soon.

Cooper 24-02-2012 09:35 PM

why o why would you want to put weight on the sides? :confused: