oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Race Chat (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   import charges? (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3531)

b4rs 04-05-2007 07:21 AM

import charges?

i want to purchase a few items from associatedparthouse.com and it amounts to $33 approximatly, which is really good price. but will customs tax me or charge me for them? has anyone else bought something from APH.com? did you get charged? what do oyu normally get charged for?. its just i dont want to be paying like half price which is basically what they are in america, and then be charged when they get to the u.k making me have paid more money in the long run.
thanks
Alex

Lee 04-05-2007 07:23 AM

If it comes in an envelope you usually miss customs;)

If it comes in a box ie a car etc then they usually nail you, it is still cheaper though

b4rs 04-05-2007 07:27 AM

well its some tyres,springs,screws,washers etc really i think the biggest thing im getting is tyres

bigred5765 04-05-2007 07:41 AM

listen u wont pay import duty, get it listed as scale model parts none import taxable, and will only pay vat 17.5% in uk dos so 33 dollars 16 quid time 17.5%

greyfox 04-05-2007 07:45 AM

Go here for full details:-

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...yType=document

BenG 04-05-2007 08:07 AM

I got a box of B4 bits from the US, It was RCBoyz.

It came in 1 week, and I got no charge for it.

sosidge 04-05-2007 08:15 AM

$33 dollars right now is £16.62.

VAT and duty are only due on goods over £18, so in this instance you should not have to pay anything at all.

Bear in mind though that the customs value is calculated INCLUDING shipping. So, if the shipping cost an extra $10 on top of the $33, then you will go over the £18 limit.

The VAT will be next to nothing on that - but what will kill you is the customs clearance fee of between £8 and £13.50. Your $33 of parts could easily end up costing you £35, not £16, probably a lot more than buying in the UK, but without the backup.

Oscar 04-05-2007 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee (Post 37289)
If it comes in an envelope you usually miss customs;)

If it comes in a box ie a car etc then they usually nail you, it is still cheaper though

Nonsense ! :eh?:

Simple, if its declared over GBP£18 you pay, if its under you dont !
Yes it is possible for a more expensive item to "Slip through", but its rare, after all royal mail make between £8 and £13 for every parcel they collect a charge on, so they have a vested interest in taxing wherever possible;)

BenG 04-05-2007 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar (Post 37302)

Yes it is possible for a more expensive item to "Slip through", but its rare, after all royal mail make between £8 and £13 for every parcel they collect a charge on, so they have a vested interest in taxing wherever possible;)

ahhh.

isn't that charge going up too? They told me last time I had to got heckmondwike for my parcel.

chrispattinson 04-05-2007 08:59 AM

Fancy a job as an accountant sosidge?

losixxx 04-05-2007 09:08 AM

lee is very correct,

if package comes via royal mail postman type delivery you have a 80% - 90% chance it will come through no problem, parcel force seem to be the only one's who impose charge's on almost everything.

Markoxx4 04-05-2007 09:12 AM

I picked up a nokak brushless yesterday from the Leeds depot, i had a nice £25.08 charge waiting for me. £13 release fee and the rest as VAT.

I asked for a breakdown of what they did for £13 and they couldnt tell me. so i asked to see a manager and he couldnt tell me.
I equated it to bank charges in the fact any charge has to be itemised to validate it . Sent them a letter today giving them 14 days to prove the £13 is valid or i will be making a claim.

I would sugest to anyone to do the same as all they have to do is sign a bit of paper to accept it. Not worth £13!!!!

BenG 04-05-2007 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markoxx4 (Post 37313)
I picked up a nokak brushless yesterday from the Leeds depot, i had a nice £25.08 charge waiting for me. £13 release fee and the rest as VAT.

I asked for a breakdown of what they did for £13 and they couldnt tell me. so i asked to see a manager and he couldnt tell me.
I equated it to bank charges in the fact any charge has to be itemised to validate it . Sent them a letter today giving them 14 days to prove the £13 is valid or i will be making a claim.

I would sugest to anyone to do the same as all they have to do is sign a bit of paper to accept it. Not worth £13!!!!

I asked this once.

I think the guy worked as like a free lance delivery dude for UPS.

They wanted £50 for a replacement part that was free.

He said that they open the box, and re-seal it.

thats it.

Also, he was that good, he actually opened it up, let me replace the new part with the broken part, then sent it back, as I had refused it.

What a guy. ;)

mark christopher 04-05-2007 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar (Post 37302)

if you know how to get it shipped you can avoid all charges ;) , i have so far a 100% free record

jimmy 04-05-2007 09:31 AM

wrapped in a condom and swallowed? :o

jcb 04-05-2007 09:51 AM

Import charges are only due on items with a value of the equivalent to £36 (around $70) and excluding postage or more. This is the value at which items can be gifted so generally there is no charge on anything up to that value.

Above that amount you are liable for VAT on the excess and more than likely a handling charge from your local post office. These are paid when you visit your collection office to pick up your parcel.

I generally order between $50 and $60 of stuff at a time from the US (at the shop mentioned) and have never had a problem with customs or the postman.

The bit the shops won't like is that even if you do get caught for import duty and a handling charge the items will still work out cheaper than you can buy them in the UK :wtf:

losixxx 04-05-2007 09:53 AM

charge's are due on good above £18 not £36 jon

jcb 04-05-2007 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark christopher (Post 37319)
if you know how to get it shipped you can avoid all charges ;) , i have so far a 100% free record

Thats also illegal, and can land you and the person doing the shipping a hefty fine or imprisonment :(

losixxx 04-05-2007 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcb (Post 37330)
Thats also illegal, and can land you and the person doing the shipping a hefty fine or imprisonment :(

can't get you into trouble only the person who send the package. there's no way they can do anything to you when you had nothing to do with the customs form labelling!

mark christopher 04-05-2007 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcb (Post 37330)

its only illegal if
1/ they catch you
2/ they can prove its not a warranty return item

speeding is ilegal, so is drinking under age but everyone has done it! and how many buy good on a holiday over the limit and dont declair it?

sorry but i pay enough taxes 25% on wages, 17.5% on most stuff i buy, road tax, fuel tax, council tax, think its only fair i get a bit back