oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRCA Nationals & Regionals (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   National wireless coverage (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10717)

Southwell 12-05-2008 08:50 AM

National wireless coverage

Is there a plan to improve the service which is offered? A couple of decent access points cabled to the edge of the pit area should give pit wide access then.
They could be cabled to someones tent and put inside incase it rains?

niggs98 12-05-2008 04:28 PM

would be nice as we havent been able to get a signal for 2 nationals now

Danny McGee 12-05-2008 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niggs98 (Post 122995)

Must admit i did hear that quite alot this weekend. Anyone knows whats happened from last year? Are there no funds to "update" it all. Im sure it would be highly appreciated.

super__dan 12-05-2008 05:01 PM

I think we all realise that in the scheme of everything in running the national this is obviously down the list of priorities. However it is such a usefull service and from last year one we all got used to having. I think Sleigh was involved in trying to improve the signal for last weekend but it didn't work out for whatever reason. Perhaps if/when he reads this he can let us know?

Southwell 12-05-2008 07:35 PM

IF my workmate goes to another school that we gave equipment to then perhaps he can give me some of the 26 access points we chucked out last year :thumbdown:

stuartw 12-05-2008 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niggs98 (Post 122995)

The program that you run has been modified, so if you are running the "old" version you may experience problems.
It would be interesting to know from people who have the latest version if they are receiving ok?

At Kiddy, we had the Hub located on the rostrum - some people had no issues at all, whilst others closer to the track did have issues.
For Oswestry the Hub was connected via wi-fi to race control and was located in Phils tent, at the top left hand corner of the track as viewed from the rostrum (i will let Phil explain the techie bit if you really need to know :D).
Both the commentators laptop and the referee's laptop on the rostrum were also connected to the Hub via wi-fi. During the 2wd event, neither of those could maintain a signal, so we reverted back to having the Hub in Race Control and connected the commentator screen via cable, and the rostrum screen stayed connected via wi-fi. If I remember correctly, no further issues arose on those screens on Saturday.
However, using the same setup on Sunday for 4wd, we seemed fine for approx 3 rounds of qualifying, but lost signal after that and could not see a wireless Network at all.
As a last resort we powered off the Hub and plugged it back in again, connectivity was then re-established. I think that the Hub came out in sympathy with us as it was fairly warm.

We are working to try and resolve the problem, but hopefully you will agree that the commentry screen and ref's screen should take priority in these situations, over the "nice to have" screens in the pits.

Body Paint 12-05-2008 08:19 PM

Totally agree Stuart, rostrum and race control must take priority. Would it be totally impractical to hardwire the rostrum laptop?

I heard several people at Os saying they had interferance on 2.4ghz on the weekend, very strange things like the car turning off and driving round in a circle before regaining control.

I wonder if there was something local affecting the wi-fi signal aswell, that is 2.4ghz isn't it? Or could the on the rostrum hub going on and off actually been creating the interferance?

Southwell 12-05-2008 08:36 PM

Would a wired setup for officals laptop be a better solution anyway, or is that not fiesable? Having not seen your equipment it is possible that too many people are trying to connect to a 'home grade' hub (if thats what it is) and causing drop outs?

MattW 12-05-2008 08:36 PM

We couldn't get much at Kiddy - it was hit and miss on sat, and nothing on sun.

This weekend it wasn't too bad on saturday - but not great. Really surprised to hear where the gear was in Phil's tent, as i really wasn't that far from there, would have expected a much better signal to be honest, based on what we had most of last year.

Sunday i didn't bother getting laptop out, as screen had died on sat, and it wasn't all that great looking at netscreen with all colors effectively inverted - not happy with 15 month old HP laptop. :thumbdown::mad:

Southwell 12-05-2008 08:39 PM

Could be the inverter board up the pan?

MattW 12-05-2008 08:45 PM

Pass, i'm no laptop hardware expert unfortunately - looking for someone who is though!! :lol: It's fine when hooked up to my desktop monitor i do know that - and it was fine on Friday evening, just when i powered it up on sat morning it wasn't playing.

DCM 12-05-2008 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Body Paint (Post 123106)
I wonder if there was something local affecting the wi-fi signal aswell, that is 2.4ghz isn't it? Or could the on the rostrum hub going on and off actually been creating the interferance?

I dunno, as I understand, the 2.4GHz system is just a carrier wave for a digitaly encoded signal, that the receiver is bound to the transmitter, and it has parity checking, so it there was an error on the parity check, you get a signal drop-out not errant activities.

With sudden shutdowns, it is usualy voltage supply to the receiver, and it being warm, may have affected it more.

Southwell 12-05-2008 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattW (Post 123122)
Pass, i'm no laptop hardware expert unfortunately - looking for someone who is though!! :lol: It's fine when hooked up to my desktop monitor i do know that - and it was fine on Friday evening, just when i powered it up on sat morning it wasn't playing.

If the screen isn't on it's normally the inverter, cheapish thing to try, worst case, your screen is shot.