oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   X-Factory (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   carbon or alloy chassis (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90628)

adey 15-01-2012 05:42 PM

carbon or alloy chassis

hi guys. I am making my own chassis for my x6 squared and want peoples opinion on materials used. My idea follows the centro design of a single lower deck in either carbon or alluminium with a 25 degree kick at the front. It will use saddle lipos and centro body and undertray. I enjoy making my own parts and wanted to make a slim x6. So.....carbon or alloy ?

Tom3012 15-01-2012 05:46 PM

Alloy will be much much cheaper! Also flexes differently, id read the 'under the lid' about the C4.1 on here it talks about the differences...
Just depends on your budget though really :woot:

janus_77 15-01-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adey (Post 607605)
hi guys. I am making my own chassis for my x6 squared and want peoples opinion on materials used. My idea follows the centro design of a single lower deck in either carbon or alluminium with a 25 degree kick at the front. It will use saddle lipos and centro body and undertray. I enjoy making my own parts and wanted to make a slim x6. So.....carbon or alloy ?

I would make it in alloy 1st. To keep cost down.

You could use a GT2 nose to keep it simple.

Also you could design it around the newer shorty lipo's, gives a lot more room in the chassis.

adey 15-01-2012 06:47 PM

the chassis will be made by fibrelyte or in hi grade alloy by a local workshop. Had considered a gt2 nosepiece but was told i would have to make the front much wider.

kevh 15-01-2012 07:09 PM

You can use the original x6 nose piece - this is still available and it is being used for the upcoming SCX-60CF, so it will be availbale for a long time to come

adey 15-01-2012 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
not the best pic but here is the first sketch

jk007 15-01-2012 11:26 PM

AC S6 PROTOTYPE

6 Attachment(s)
You mean something like this.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: tryed alloy,now testing carbon.

adey 15-01-2012 11:39 PM

like that. How did it go. More pics please.

lsdevey 16-01-2012 09:23 PM

x6

wat kind of fish is that you have drawn is it a kipper or a skate ??:lol::lol::lol:

sparrow.2 16-01-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk007 (Post 607779)
You mean something like this.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: tryed alloy,now testing carbon.

More pics, technical drawings, a price or just sell me the whole thing :thumbsup:

Any chance of letting us know any more details?

YoungChazz 17-01-2012 05:43 AM

We have tested a CF X - 6. We think we'd sell a zillion of them, if it worked. It didn't, which is why we don't have them available. Several Team drivers have tried them, and every one has gone back to the molded chassis. The "plastic" one does flex a bit more than the "graphite" one, and that can help on some tracks, especially in U.K. It seems that often -- not always -- graphite is better on dirt and plastic is better on astro.

As to aluminum, we don't like that either. Aluminum bends. And when the bend is not large, you don't see it, but the car is tweaked. You can 't bend it back. Once bent, it's toast. Very expensive. Heavy too.

So why CF chassis on the SCX - 60CF and X - 7? They have been designed for it, and they work. The 6 & 6 Squared were designed to be virtually zero flex cars, so that's the way they work.

You certainly can go for it -- we always encourage the Family to try new stuff -- but our experience so far shows you'll be no faster, and quite possibly slower.

adey 17-01-2012 06:48 AM

i wanted to try this as i enjoy making my own bits. I have had my x6 squared a while now and just wanted to update it in my own way. What updates, if any are you planning for the car chazz. ?

YoungChazz 17-01-2012 06:57 PM

We have several relatively minor changes in the development stage now. We are an ultra-small company, just 1 3/4 full time people, counting me as 3/4. In order to do anything right, it's one thing at a time, especially when you consider all the routine work like ordering, stocking, shipping, finances, etc we must do daily. Every time we try doing several R & D things at once, we bugger it up.

We do have tremendous help from the Team and the Family, especially Ellis and Elvo. Paul, Ellis, and Elvo send messages back & forth several times most days. Between them and the others, it's almost too many inspired ideas.

Right now we've got to finish the first production run of SCX - 60CFs and get the latest and, we hope, last prototype X - 7 out, so nothing at all will happen with the 6 until then. There are several things in the works, including tower forward and a new CF front tower that will fit the B4 too that we hope to do after that.

So the answer to your question is, no major revisions are currently in the works for the X - 6 Squared. And, we always encourage The Family to experiment and try things. Let us know how it turns out!

arransmith27 17-01-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsdevey (Post 608224)
wat kind of fish is that you have drawn is it a kipper or a skate ??:lol::lol::lol:

:woot:

arransmith27 17-01-2012 08:05 PM

How do you plan to mount the transmission to the chassis Ade?

_sleigh_ 17-01-2012 08:36 PM

Same way as they've done on the Phat Bodies Chunk Micro???? - http://www.uk-microrc.co.uk/forum/in...howtopic=15269

arransmith27 17-01-2012 08:58 PM

Aaaaahhhh.... simple really.

adey 17-01-2012 10:30 PM

i will suspend the gbox on alloy spacers and have designed a totally new rear bulkhead. Very simple. Hope to finish my design over the next week and then try to get it made. Fibrelyte will make it for me but it will be over a hundred quid. I am thinking of making a new rear tower mounted further forward which will have the camber link mounted on the front and shocks on the rear.

arransmith27 18-01-2012 07:28 AM

It'll be good to see the finished product, are you gonna have it ready for urban x?

adey 18-01-2012 11:09 PM

nah, it will be a while yet. Going to run the x6 as i have just put my new esc in it and want to try it.