oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   X-Factory (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   X-Factory slipper shaft brass flywheel (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53793)

alexb4 16-09-2010 07:56 PM

X-Factory slipper shaft brass flywheel

Just seen this on redrc whats everyone think of it it will it work ?

http://www.redrc.net/2010/09/x-facto...rass-flywheel/

Dave Dodd 16-09-2010 08:17 PM

i had look this today aswell.. sounds like a good idea saying it takes the edge off the motor which in turn keeps the nose down for better corner but its like a big flywheel on a car once you get it going, you try slowing it down at the end of fast straight...

so iam not sure :confused:

mark christopher 16-09-2010 08:20 PM

It will work on slippery stuff as it not spool up as easy but it will also take more slowing down into corners.

bert digler 16-09-2010 08:23 PM

isnt a hydradrive, better as it has the flywheel effect plus the variable traction control

DCM 16-09-2010 09:29 PM

I think it is there to remove the harshness from the acceleration and braking of the latest sintered rotors, as I am guessing they are having a lot of traction breaking on the slippy stuff, although I think it is far less essential on high grip.

MRD 16-09-2010 09:34 PM

Two things worry me about this part. One is that its esentially a gyro. Anyone tried to move a gyro at full whack? They don't like to change direction. The second is if the transmission is ballanced how will this effect its control in mid air. You need a biased rotating mass to pitch the nose up or down.

I'm glad to see theyre trying new things tho and it'll be ineresting to see if it works and if it does who'll be the first manufacturer to copy it :).

Darren Boyle 16-09-2010 11:07 PM

I sent the official UK Press Release with FULL details part number and prices on out to all UK shops on our mailing list last thing before we left work tonight, so all shops will have all the detials available in the morning. UK RRP is £14.99, first stock arrived into Heathrow airport early this afternoon and is now just awaiting customs clearance.

The weight can be drilled out with the supplied drill bit to reduce the overall mass and hence effect it has, only downside to this is once you have drilled the weight you cannot put it back on, so think carefully before you decide to remove some material if you get one. Will also fit other 2wd buggies, trucks and SC's too (ie Losi and AE etc)

Big E 17-09-2010 06:19 AM

This is a cool little tuning aid actually. Ran it most of the day at EPR and a few other tracks as well.

It does obvioulsy take the edge of motors which is a pretty good thing but it also helps with getting more steering on our high grip tracks.

As far as jumping goes didn't feel any negatives with it and I agree with the fact it should be harder to slow down but the level of brakes we have is more than enough to slow it so not really a proplem and not something any of us commented on whilst we were testing it.

E

jameswilkinson7 17-09-2010 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big E (Post 414548)
This is a cool little tuning aid actually. Ran it most of the day at EPR and a few other tracks as well.

It does obvioulsy take the edge of motors which is a pretty good thing but it also helps with getting more steering on our high grip tracks.

As far as jumping goes didn't feel any negatives with it and I agree with the fact it should be harder to slow down but the level of brakes we have is more than enough to slow it so not really a proplem and not something any of us commented on whilst we were testing it.

E

Any gyroscopic effect?

YoungChazz 17-09-2010 06:40 PM

I think any gyroscopic effect is minimal. As we said in the press release, The Boyz have been testing these for some time, and gyro effect has never been mentioned, even at the beginning when the flywheels were almost 20% heavier than production.

MRD 17-09-2010 08:38 PM

Cool. Are they compatable with the v2 slippers?

ScottyP 20-09-2010 12:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I ran the flywheel at the NSW state titles in Australia this past weekend.

I managed to scrape into the A final in 10th place having not used the flywheel at all during qual. My car was off the pace big time, just not feeling hooked up and very nervous. With nothing to lose off 10th, I put the flywheel on for the finals and it literally transformed the car!

In 20+ years of racing, I don't think I've ever seen a single change have such a big impact on handling. The flywheel seemed to settle the car down a lot and helped the car generate more forward traction, which is one of the main things I was lacking. It also made the car feel more stable under brakes, allowing me to brake later.

Flywheel aside, I don't think my car setup was optimal, but the flywheel sure did help a lot! In retrospect, I should have gone for a softer motor setup. 7.5 with 50c packs was just too much for the car. It was probably just spinning the tyres too much trying to accelerate off the corners. The flywheel helped tame this and smooth car out.

The track was very high high traction outdoor dirt with Proline Holeshot 2.0 as control tyre.

Cheers,
Scotty P.

Timee80 20-09-2010 06:13 AM

Can't you just turn the punch down on the speedo or run the slipper a bit looser?

janus_77 20-09-2010 06:19 AM

We started experimenting with this in 2009.
Been using this mod for over a year now, and its just :thumbsup:

http://www.oople.com/forums/showpost...0&postcount=24

http://www.oople.com/forums/attachme...9&d=1262261648

NitroArgi 20-09-2010 07:02 AM

Will it fit mt B4???

Hello all,

Will this flywheel fit my B4? I will be racing at a very low traction track at the end of the year and I would like to have as many tuning options as possible...where can I get one??

Regards
Argi

janus_77 20-09-2010 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NitroArgi (Post 415208)
Hello all,

Will this flywheel fit my B4? I will be racing at a very low traction track at the end of the year and I would like to have as many tuning options as possible...where can I get one??

Regards
Argi

Yes it will fit, but you might have to shim up your gear-cover a bit.

Richard Lowe 20-09-2010 08:48 AM

Yeah it fits the B4, same slipper :)

In the B4 though as it's a 3 gear transmission it will increase the motors effect on weight transfer instead of counter acting it.

Gordonm 20-09-2010 01:06 PM

Hi-Just nipped down the shed and made one for v2 slipper..Wider spring needs a recess in the brass and there's very little thread showing on the adjuster shaft even with the recess as deep as I dare go.Not sure if the one advertised would work with the v2?

elvo 20-09-2010 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Lowe (Post 415241)
Yeah it fits the B4, same slipper :)

In the B4 though as it's a 3 gear transmission it will increase the motors effect on weight transfer instead of counter acting it.

No it won't. It's spinning the other way :D

NitroArgi 20-09-2010 01:55 PM

I am confused now! So will it help my B4 in a low traction track or not??? If yeas where can I get one?

Regards
Argi