oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Gloucester Electric Racing Car Club (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Buggies at GERCC (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80813)

R4BX 17-09-2011 12:48 PM

Buggies at GERCC

Sup Dudes!

This forum is very small haha! Nethertheless, it seems a few people seem curious of buggies racing on friday nights so...

I've revived my old Yokomo MR4BX from the top of the shelf and it is now in full race winning order ;) Sadly not many other buggies seem to be running, there were 2 this week just gone but im not sure if they will stick at them if a few more people don't get their old scrap out!

Ill be running mine certainly for the next championship regardless of there being a specific heat for them or not, so if anybody feels the urge to race one, be assured there will be another one there :)

Ill upload some photos this evening of some cars i've owned over the years as a kind of name and shame exercise ;) and to get some colour onto the forum!

Ed

RogerM 17-09-2011 02:10 PM

Great news ... I will hopefully soon be a regular with my current Kyosho cars and I'm going to be bringing my mate Adam along too, also Kyosho (what else???)

LongRat 17-09-2011 06:20 PM

Hm, I'm tempted myself too. I'd have to buy a buggy though, although Jon's Losi 22 was definitely a tempting prospect, it's a great looking car. I would take a lot of pleasure in thrashing you with one of those Ed ;)
I have a spare Hobbywing 13T setup now too (plus that receiver Ed) so just need a rolling chassis. I might be up for it. Definitely going to stick with the HPI too though.

Simion Wabs 19-09-2011 10:31 AM

talking of spare recievers.... does anyone have a spare 40mhz Futaba rx? I think its an rj152e or something. Can any 2 channel 40mhz rx work with a Futaba transmitter? My buggy has intermittent forward action, no issues in reverse. I have changed the esc and motor but the effects are the same so must be either rx or tx. Have tried alternative transmitter rx combo and it runs fine. Would like to try alternative rx so I can eliminate/identify the faulty part.
Cheers

Si

RogerM 19-09-2011 11:10 AM

I've got a few 40MHz RXs that I've used with Futaba TXs in the past, just need to find them!

Simion Wabs 19-09-2011 11:40 AM

@ Roger,

would be good if you could bring them along on Friday.

I might need to take them away to try on the buggy if that is ok with you. Running two cars I won't have the time to test the buggy aswell.:(

Cheers

Si

LongRat 19-09-2011 05:59 PM

AM and FM issues aside (these are not interchangeable even if you are on the same band) there are to my knowledge at least 2 common encoding methods for 40MHz FM RF. Futaba have PPM and PCM which is a standard some other manufacturers use. As far as I know all of their car stuff is PPM, the PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) is reserved for the more expensive 35MHz air radios. I think the PPM method is what most other manufacturers use, I am most familiar with Hitec as that is what I used to run. I still have several Hitec receivers and a spare transmitter which I can bring down on Friday.
To be honest I would suspect the crystal before anything else though.

Simion Wabs 20-09-2011 07:46 AM

cheers dave,
are you saying the cheapo types will be compatable but the more expensive types won't due to the signal modulation technique incorporated. I'll change the crystals and see what happens. Will bring buggy on friday but as you are aware space in a Mr 2 is very minimal :yawn:

ryan edwards 20-09-2011 03:42 PM

sup peeps

just wondering whos coming on friday and what there racing

LongRat 20-09-2011 07:06 PM

Simon,
I am saying I am pretty sure most 40MHz FM car radios run what Futaba call PPM. So they should be compatible. There may be a difference with KO as I think they have their own modulation, wouldn't be surprised if it is PCM. Sorry, re-reading it I realise that last post of mine was totally unclear.

Ryan,
s'appenin gangsta? I can't comment for anyone else but I am coming on Friday and will be racing my HPI in touring, with a load more new kit on it if I can get the work done in time. Oh yeah and Simon said he was coming too.

RogerM 21-09-2011 11:22 AM

I've used the same recievers with Futaba PPM and KO radios so no problems there ... As for Friday hopefully, buggy if I can make it.

Simion Wabs 21-09-2011 01:29 PM

update

tried new crystals, still have glitching on full throttle. Still need to determine rx or tx fault. :thumbdown:

ryan edwards 21-09-2011 03:47 PM

k i will be racing a mardave there friday

Simon
Just wondering when u are next bringing the onboard camera

Simion Wabs 22-09-2011 02:11 PM

@ Ryan,

if I remember I'll charge it up and bring it along. It's just that the memory taken up by a 6minute video is massive and it takes an age to upload onto youtube on a wireless laptop!
See you on Friday night with or without camera :)

Si

ryan edwards 22-09-2011 04:00 PM

k:) see u tommorow

RogerM 24-09-2011 09:35 AM

Forgot how much like hard work it is to get a buggy around in there, especially one still setup for proper off road!

Was fun though, I will be back and I will bring others :)

ryan edwards 24-09-2011 11:43 AM

Last meeting was fun i will be there in two weeks wish everyone luck for next week

LongRat 24-09-2011 02:21 PM

All I can say to the buggy boys - grow some balls and lose the front drive!

Simion Wabs 24-09-2011 04:54 PM

@ Roger and RB4X
thought your final last night was excellent to watch. Close racing with two well setup buggies:thumbsup: all you need now is on board footage!!

Wabs

RogerM 25-09-2011 08:49 AM

Simon, my car was still set up for proper off-road so was FAR from ideal on such a small and tight high grip carpet track! Was fun though.

As for onboard footage feel free to provide a solution to that and I'll be happy to strap it into my car for next time :)