oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tamiya (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   COBRA (R) TRF 201 New Build !! (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205221)

xfactor 07-10-2019 07:51 PM

COBRA (R) TRF 201 New Build !!

Hi all and TRF Fans,

Being as the MAM (Midland Astro Turf Masters) is offering a (REAR MOTOR ONLY CLASS) I wanted to sort something for this. BACK TO THE FUTURE :cool:

So I have been in talks with COBRA Racing and its on. I will be building a COBRA (R) TRF 201 (REAR MOTOR) With the COBRA Racing chassis. I have explained what I wanted and its achievable.....:thumbsup:

I have enough brand new in packet spares to build this complete. Just a few bits and bobs awaiting from Hong Kong....:thumbsup:

As soon as the progress starts I will post pictures.....

COBRA (R) TRF 201 (REAR MOTOR) …...:cool:

Aire valley 08-10-2019 08:18 PM

Looking forward to that Mark....should be interesting..!

xfactor 10-10-2019 09:06 PM

Sure will Alan.....:thumbsup:

So been over to COBRA Racing to collect the chassis and other parts to complete the COBRA Racing rear motor TRF201 conversion.

Its now being sent to be anodised. As soon as I receive it back, I will post pictures and start the build......:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Aire valley 12-10-2019 05:16 PM

You must have more contacts than anyone else in the RC world..!...😉👍

xfactor 18-10-2019 11:47 AM

Build Ready !!!

Ive received the COBRA TRF 201 conversion back from the anodisers. Im now ready to make a start on the build.

Pictures coming......:thumbsup:

jasonrcb 18-10-2019 02:26 PM

Get a shift on then mate,you still got time to book in for the rear motor heat at kiddi on sunday :woot::p:thumbsup:

xfactor 20-10-2019 05:03 PM

COBRA (R) TRF

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Jason,

Had computer issues, but sorted now....:) I was also waiting a few little bits from Hong Kong.

So while Ive been waiting the computer issues to be sorted, Ive been bizzzzzzzy building up the COBRA (R) TRF from brand new parts. I will be building the COBRA (R) from an Original TRF201 XR Kit instruction paper.

Ive had the chassis back and had it anodised in Bronze to match the COBRA Layback....

So here we go, COBRA (R) Chassis and parts...……...:):):)

CLICK TO ENLARGE PICTURES.....

xfactor 20-10-2019 05:07 PM

COBRA (R)

2 Attachment(s)
So with the chassis back, it was time to start. I went for a new XA 3.5 rear toe hinge pin holder and new TRF blue alloy posts...…

CLICK TO ENLARGE PICTURES....:thumbsup:

xfactor 20-10-2019 05:11 PM

COBRA (R)

2 Attachment(s)
With the 4 TRF Blue alloy posts in place for the rear bulkhead, it was time to fit the new rear bulkhead with ballstuds and new white (foamy things) :D ready for winter racing….

I did get carried away a bit by fitting the rear tower, but did need to remove it later for the gearbox.....:rolleyes:

CLICK TO ENLARGE PICTURES......:)

xfactor 20-10-2019 05:19 PM

COBRA (R)

2 Attachment(s)
So knowing the issue with the TRF buggies and how the front bulkhead mounts to the later TRF 2WD buggies. The 3 main alloy posts are like Hens Teeth to get hold of. So I had an idea...:lol:

Would or wouldn't these posts fit. So I went for it, and YES !!! they are a perfect fit. All you need to do is put a tiny chamfer/burr on the end of the post to allow the front bulkhead to fit on.

The posts are from the TAMIYA TOP FORCE.

Long rear for the middle post
Shorter front for the outer posts.

So still keeping it all TAMIYA...…….:)

HAPPY DAYS !!! Monday, Tuesday HAPPY DAYS, Wednesday, Thursday HAPPY DAYS. Friday comes then Saturday comes, then off for testing.....:lol:

CLICK TO ENLARGE PICTURES....

xfactor 20-10-2019 05:25 PM

COBRA (R)

2 Attachment(s)
Next up was the bellcranks and the tiny tiny shims. New ballstuds and again (white foamy things).

CLICK TO ENLARGE...….:thumbsup:

xfactor 20-10-2019 06:43 PM

COBRA (R)

3 Attachment(s)
With the bellcranks fitted, I made up the front end with new parts. TRF Blue Titaiumn turnbuckles were used. This was a first fit for the TOP FORCE POSTs without the chamfer/burr on the end. As you can see, the bulkhead and bellcrank bracket wasn't perfect, but after a slight chamfer/burr all was perfect.....:thumbsup:

CLICK TO ENLARGE PICTURES...

xfactor 20-10-2019 06:55 PM

COBRA (R)

3 Attachment(s)
It was time to start the gearbox. Again all brand new parts used. I went for,

TRF Light Weight Layshaft Gear
TRF Light Weight Blue Idler Gear Roll Pin
Tamiya Optional Heat Sink Motor Plate (upgrade)
Black Idler Gear
Black Centre Diff Gear

The rest was all new Tamiya parts......:)

CLICK TO ENLARGE PICTURES.....

Aire valley 20-10-2019 07:32 PM

As always Mark, very interesting build..👍

xfactor 20-10-2019 07:45 PM

Thank you Alan…………..:thumbsup::thumbsup:

xfactor 21-10-2019 05:51 PM

COBRA (R)

3 Attachment(s)
With the gear box built up, it was time to fit the rear end.

New Rear wishbones
New Rear 0.5 TRF Blue alloy hubs
New Rear/Rear Blue Alloy mount
New Rear bumper
TRF Blue Titanium turnbuckles
New Ballstuds
And those (white foamy things)

You will also notice the Rear shock tower removed.....:)

xfactor 21-10-2019 06:06 PM

COBRA (R)

4 Attachment(s)
Now time to install the gearbox. This drop straight in to perfection. One tip is to fit the screws in all the holes in the rear bulkhead and bottom rear hangers before fully tightening, then tighten all the screws in sequence....:thumbsup:

Now were looking like a COBRA (R) TRF 201...….:D

xfactor 21-10-2019 06:17 PM

COBRA (R)

With the Rear end almost complete, I had 2 decisions to make.

1. Which Driveshafts to use.
2. Which Body to go for. 9most important)…...:D

With the Driveshafts I had the choice of New standard TRF201 (no retaining clip), TRF211 (with retaining clip) or the TRF Double roller.

I went for the TRF211 (with retaining clip) as this will be mainly used through the winter months outside.

Body was a bit more of a bigger decision.

I went for the B6 Jconcepts P2 and today I managed to spray it and sticker it up.....:thumbsup:

xfactor 21-10-2019 06:21 PM

COBRA (R)

3 Attachment(s)
With New TRF211 driveshafts fitted, New gear cover, MuchMore wing washer body clip, COBRA Side Rails and New Rear Large blue alloy wheel washers, it was time to build the New TRF BIG BORES and fit....:)

xfactor 21-10-2019 06:50 PM

Body !!

4 Attachment(s)
Body painted and part stickered, just awaiting COBRA Racing stickers...:D