oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   1/10th OFF ROAD (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   Differential maintenance (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191091)

The Colonel 04-07-2017 10:12 AM

Differential maintenance

Hi,

I am about to order replacement parts for my ball diff and have a question about what type of grease to order. I was told by a veteran racer to use black for the larger balls and white/clear grease for the smaller ones.

Does this sound right and if so, what grease do I need to buy as there seems to be a few variations of the stuff.

Thanks

Volition 10-07-2017 08:51 AM

For AE ball diffs. IU would suspect all too. Black on the thrust bearing(normally fewer balls) clear on the balls in the gear itself the ones in contact with the diff rings.
try and download a manual for the car your diff goes in and confirm that way. Im 90% you have it the wrong way around.

Mash Potato 10-07-2017 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Colonel (Post 975089)
Hi,

I am about to order replacement parts for my ball diff and have a question about what type of grease to order. I was told by a veteran racer to use black for the larger balls and white/clear grease for the smaller ones.

Does this sound right and if so, what grease do I need to buy as there seems to be a few variations of the stuff.

Thanks

Other way around I'm afraid.

neallewis 10-07-2017 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Colonel (Post 975089)
Hi,

Thanks

yeah as above, that's totally the wrong way round, and you'll kill your fresh balls and plates first run if you do that.

Black moly grease is for the small thrust race. This is a molybdenum disulphide metal lubricant for parts under pressure/friction or load.
Clear silicone grease is for the large balls and plates. Lots of the major brands versions are good to use. Some swear by Associated diff grease. I personally like the kyosho grease. The silicone grease isn't actually a lubricant, it contains silica and is used so the balls actually grip the plates. the "better" greases tend to contain more silica.

CHEVY 10-07-2017 01:51 PM

When i run pred used to rebuild diffs ounce a year no problem's using standard parts and grease

The Colonel 11-07-2017 08:15 AM

Looks like I just got the grease the wrong way around. Thanks for correcting me everyone.

When rebuilding it, is it wise to replace the plates and balls regardless of their condition to be on the safe side?

Also, what product is best to use to actually clean it all? Some form of spray cleaner?

Allan1875 11-07-2017 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Colonel (Post 975402)
Looks like I just got the grease the wrong way around. Thanks for correcting me everyone.

When rebuilding it, is it wise to replace the plates and balls regardless of their condition to be on the safe side?

Also, what product is best to use to actually clean it all? Some form of spray cleaner?

I'd replace it all personally.

Just use brake cleaner to clean all parts prior to building. Or bearing blaster from Schumacher.