oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   X-Factory (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   X6 lipo retention (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14846)

ScottyP 10-10-2008 11:58 PM

X6 lipo retention

1 Attachment(s)
What method are you guys using to retain lipo packs? I've seen various methods, with the best being the custom brace using by Kinwald. He should produce this under the DDP brand. I'm sure they would be popular!

Cheers,
Scotty

Paul_Sinclair 11-10-2008 12:16 AM

The easiest way to hold in a Lipo in an X - 6 is to flip over the stock battery brace. Check out the pic here to see what I mean: http://www.2wdrc.com/images/TechImag...iPo_02-big.jpg

The way to mount the battery with a CF piece is to drill and tap some holes down into the 4 ejector pin pads located around the 4-cell area. You can roughly see those locations in the pic of BK's car above. I have a CF brace like this and just hold it in with four long screws/washers, screwed down through the CF and into the chassis. Brian has a system a little neater and more secure than that; he mounted some Lunsford quick-change shock mounts into the ejector pads, spaced up so the CF brace had something flat to rest on, and then used the AE thumb nuts to hold the brace on.

ScottyP 11-10-2008 04:03 AM

Thanks Paul.

I have to mount my speedy (Speedpassion GT) in the 2-cell position since it is slightly too big to fit in the side pod. This mean flipping the brace will not work.

Regarding the servo brace, I notice Brian runs without it. What's your opinion on this? The chassis does seem very stiff so I am also considering leaving the brace off too and using AE FT servo mounts.

Cheers,
Scott

super__dan 11-10-2008 09:59 AM

Scotty,

This is how I run mine for stick pack Lipo. I too now run the speedo in the middle (much neater and better weight distribution), it looks quality.

I've cut the brace just in front of the little ridge that holds tha pack, however I've also folded a peice of lexan over so that it really holds tha pack in well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...n/pic003-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...n/pic002-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...r__dan/pic.jpg
Lastly I don't run the front brace now either. The chassis is very stiff in that area and now I don't need the servo mount or battery strap mount it's neater to mount the PT up there.

HTH

Dan

GRIFF55 11-10-2008 10:15 AM

That looks really tidy Dan, i'm going now to get the dremel out:thumbsup:

ben 11-10-2008 10:26 AM

Yes, very neat indeed Dan. Have you dremelled the battery slots down so the lipo sits down lower on the chassis?

Ben

Spencer Mulcahy 11-10-2008 12:44 PM

I have read in another thread not to do that as the chassi wont be as stiff Ben.

Spencer Mulcahy 11-10-2008 12:49 PM

But it looks like he has in the picture. Is that a azurashi front wing I can see and what is the velcro for in the battery tray. Looks bloody good Dan.

Mike Hudson 11-10-2008 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spencer Mulcahy (Post 167816)
But it looks like he has in the picture. Is that a azurashi front wing I can see and what is the velcro for in the battery tray. Looks bloody good Dan.

Velcro to hold the lipo in place and yes thats the azarashi front wing, if you dremel th cell slots it could make the chassis a little more flexible but nothing major I don't think, in all honesty I don't think theres any need to do that as the car will already be very well balanced

Paul_Sinclair 11-10-2008 05:09 PM

Running without the servo cover should be fine, Scott. Its not really much of a brace, but rather a hold-the-servo-in/mount-the-battery-strap/mount-the-transponder piece.

For the others, those little vertical braces are still there in the pics. Look closer; if they weren't there you'd see dremel-marks from the process of removing them.

And you'd be surprised what those little braces do for the chassis stiffness. The outside walls look stiff (and nice and tall) but they like to bow outwards because they're straight along there. I really don't recommend removing the little braces. Also, those little braces make excellent little areas to put lead weights when your car is too light because of the lipo.

Also, Lipo + speed control in center = ace :thumbsup:

janus_77 11-10-2008 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul_Sinclair (Post 167874)
ace :thumbsup:

....... have you been following some sort of UK integration class, or does Dan have your login code ?? :woot:

super__dan 11-10-2008 06:31 PM

OK,

Spence, Yes it is an Azarashi front wing, they are proper good. Thicker that the J concepts or Proline ones and you don't have to screw it to the tower, it's held on by the shock top screw. Thoroughly recomended!

I've not dremelled down the slots underneath the cells. They do add stiffness and becasue the Lipo is lighter some extra weight transfer probably isn't a bad thing. I have dremelled out the centre one in the 2 cell box. Personally I don't think this adds much stiffness because the 'box' that surrounds the 2 cells is 3 times taller and so it's I beam value will be much much higher (Paul do you want to work that out??? ;) ). I've mounted a peice of lexan the exact size of the box so it's stuck down on either side and down the middle.

I've only tried 1 lipo so far which was a 5000mah ish one i.e. one of the heavy ones. It was clear it moved the weight balance to the back a bit, I eventually ended up adding 40g of weight to the front to get the balance back with no other setup changes. Ellis has done some calcs and says that 40g is about right for a very heavy pack. However the normal 3200 - 3800mah packs are lighter to the point the weight balance is very similair to where the car used to be with Nimh, but obviously MUCH lighter, likely not too much over the minimum wight limit on mini spikes, possibly even under the limit!!!

All is VERY good running an X6 with Lipo!!! :D

ScottyP 12-10-2008 11:47 PM

Thanks Dan. Looks like a good method for the batt pack. I'll do same. Nice layout too. Very clean.

Cheers,
Scott

nickhudson 13-10-2008 08:45 AM

3 Attachment(s)
i designed my own carbon lipo strap - it mounts on 4x steel hex posts screwed through holes drilled on the ejector 'pads' and uses stainless thumb-nuts to hold the whole thing down. couldn't resist putting the x-6 logo on it either !!:D:D

also made some carbon plates to fit into the now redundant forward battery locations for the brushless esc

chemax92 13-10-2008 09:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my simple version of lipo battery plate using the original rear post and some old turnbuckles (see the plastic nut).
Two cell vertical braces removed to fit the ESC and little holes dremeled in the horizontal ones to pass the sensor wire below the lipo.
Ready to test and planing to cut new plates in CF.

Regards,

Northy 13-10-2008 09:31 PM

Isn't the word 'retention' just top draw? :woot:

G

Lee 14-10-2008 09:58 AM

Agreed G, it just adds a bit of class to the XFactory section that others seem to lack :thumbsup:

derek5 16-11-2008 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottyP (Post 167718)
What method are you guys using to retain lipo packs? I've seen various methods, with the best being the custom brace using by Kinwald. He should produce this under the DDP brand. I'm sure they would be popular!

Cheers,
Scotty

Hi all,
any more suggestion about the battery strap? i just want to run using lipo only, Kinwald's one looks really cool~

MHeadling 16-11-2008 10:47 AM

How about the battery strap from the X60 truck, that fits and I think the spares and kits are on the way to the Uk. Get in touch with Dms they will sort you out!

mattym0310 16-11-2008 03:53 PM

can the motor wires not be run under the lipo like the Sensor wire is on 'chemax92's' car? Might make it a little neater if they fit :)