oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Race Chat (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Disabled access (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64772)

neil1967 05-03-2011 05:42 PM

Disabled access

Hi all,

Just a question i am 43 years old and have been racing since the age of 18, but for the last 4 years i have been in a wheelchair and you guessed it still want to race, but the trouble i have is no clubs have any kind of access to the rostrum at all for anyone in a wheelchair.

Now i understand this but feel that really more could be done for people in wheelchairs Lewis Hamiltion the F1 racer his brother races in nitro 1/18th and he is disabled but again he struggles onto the rostrum you would have thought that we would have some kind of help. I have approached lots of clubs by e-mail one mailed me back the others well they just ignored me i am not going to name any clubs but if they read this they would know.

I am not asking for a miracle or you would have thought i am, all i am asking for is a little understanding and maybe some access to allow me to carry on with the sport i love so much.

Stu 05-03-2011 06:10 PM

What part of the country are you at?

There are a couple of clubs up in the North West that have chair access, one 8th and one 10th.

neil1967 05-03-2011 06:12 PM

Hi sorry, i am in wiltshire west country

sldmodels 05-03-2011 06:37 PM

I mentioned wheelchair access to John @ Ardent and within a month, he had a ramp built.

I think part of the issue is, there aren't many racers who are also wheelchair users, but if you're a wheelchair user, and see the rostrum, and see no access to it, what can you do, and will a lot just not bother mentioning anything?

If this was a big business, then you should be able to expect full access, but since it isn't, all I can suggest is approaching individual clubs (as you've done already), but also following up, and looking into some kind of funding for those clubs to make the adaptions needed.

Frecklychimp 05-03-2011 06:56 PM

I was going to mention Ardent Raceway as i noticed the ramp access rostrum yesterday, a great facility if you like indoor carpet racing.

I run a club for 1/8th nitro and 1/10th electric offroad and was approached by a couple of guys last year needing wheelchair facilities to come and race, as a club we just could not afford to improve the outdoor venue safely so approached local council and Lottery funding for help, were turned down flat for any funding to help improve access :mad:

We are building a second rostrum for another integrated track so are trying to design in a raised platform which has ramped access and is high enough to give good visibility.

if i see any other clubs that cater for wheelchair users then i'll let you know :thumbsup:

davidmog99 05-03-2011 08:24 PM

moto arena

When i visited Moto arena, there was a guy in a wheelchair using the second floor (accessible by lift), as he couldnt use the rostrum.
Seemed to give a good view of the track, and i think the rest of the facilities looked wheelchair friendly.

ch!3f 06-03-2011 12:11 AM

some clubs dont have a rostrum big enough for a wheel chair like at don valley also wombwell near me.if more clubs offered wheel chair access there would be more people able to race.best thing you can do is speak to they guys who run the club about racing there and see if its possible for something to be done for you.the only problem is the cost of doing it but there are companies out there who made ramps with abit of blagging will sort a ramp at cost or even free if you go in with a camera and pretend your filming for tv.

Dudders 06-03-2011 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neil1967 (Post 471716)
Hi sorry, i am in wiltshire west country

I'm in the process of designing a new build metal restrom for a new venue in North East Hampshire, one side will be a ramp, the other steps.

If think in time good old Health and Safety and peoples human rights will come into play soon enough.

ch!3f 06-03-2011 12:39 AM

you have to remember that it has to come out of the clubs pocket which most clubs are none profit so all there money goes on booking venues and new bits for the tracks when needed.i would try the melinda messenger method and blag a ramp free from somwhere

Dudders 06-03-2011 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ch!3f (Post 471826)
i would try the melinda messenger method and blag a ramp free from somwhere

Prefer to try Melinda Messenger full stop :woot::woot::woot::woot:

ollie 06-03-2011 12:50 AM

Maybe this is something the BRCA could look into as there are both companies and charities out there that help and support funding to enable disabled access to leisure and sport activities within the community.

Frecklychimp 06-03-2011 01:05 AM

If anyone one knows of support available for clubs or if any r/c clubs have had help from any associations recently then please let us know,

We would happily provide the facilities but with limited funding its not possible, especially when health and safety of drivers/visitors has to be priority,

our local authorities and Lottery application were refused as we were technically a private membership driven club and governed by BRCA, told it would be down to BRCA to support their disabled members, which i would be surprised if that was possible due to number of clubs and venues associated.

David Church 06-03-2011 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neil1967 (Post 471703)
Hi all,

Just a question i am 43 years old and have been racing since the age of 18, but for the last 4 years i have been in a wheelchair and you guessed it still want to race, but the trouble i have is no clubs have any kind of access to the rostrum at all for anyone in a wheelchair.

Now i understand this but feel that really more could be done for people in wheelchairs Lewis Hamiltion the F1 racer his brother races in nitro 1/18th and he is disabled but again he struggles onto the rostrum you would have thought that we would have some kind of help. I have approached lots of clubs by e-mail one mailed me back the others well they just ignored me i am not going to name any clubs but if they read this they would know.

I am not asking for a miracle or you would have thought i am, all i am asking for is a little understanding and maybe some access to allow me to carry on with the sport i love so much.

Hi Neil,

It's very good that you have come forward and asked for help on this.
Our sport/hobby crosses all kinds of borders, physical, age, race, gender, just to name a few and when racing there is no advantage, we all can buy the same kit, and have the same opportunity, if you can get on the rostrum.
At the EIR race this year there was a guy in a wheelchair and they had to carry him up and down for every run!
As out sport is moving forward I'm sure more and more clubs will provide wheelchair access, but we do need people like you asking the question, not having a go! So good job there mate :thumbsup:

ch!3f 06-03-2011 09:42 AM

i suppose if you struggle to get funding you can allways do a charity event yourselfs to fund something like this.people tend to do well holding events and most club members will be willing to donate a few quid maybe more and participate too to help raise the funds.
id have a scout on google for uk companies who make similar products and get in touch with them.

blue_pinky 07-03-2011 02:04 PM

Our indoor club has managed to blag a metal ramp to give one of our members who's in a wheechair acces to a rostrum. We have some rostrum boxes built that are bigger footprint than the other to better accomodate wheelchairs.

It's only a low rostrum, as our room isn't massive, and we were just lucky that another member knew where he could lay his hands on a ramp that is perfect for the job. If he hadn't we'd still be lifted him up onto the rostrum to race! That worked ok for a bit, but is certainly not the safest way to go about it for him or for anyone helping to lift him.

If we hadn't been gifted our ramp it would have been a considerable spend to provide one, so it would have taken a while to get it sorted. I think all cubs would love to be able to provide that access if they knew it was going to be used by someone, but funds are obvously tight everywhere, so it's just not as easy as we'd like it to be.

We're hoping to build a new outdoor track shortly, and for sure we'll do everything we can to try and accomodate our members needs if it's feasibly possible. It just isn't always that simple when you have limited resources.

Fingers crossed we'll come up with a solution we can afford, and other clubs find ways to help out with this where they can, I'm sure if asked they'd all try and do everthing they could to help out.

Neil, where abouts in Wiltshire are you? You say south west, we have guys who come over from all around the SW area, including one from around Swindon somewhere I think to race with us, so not sure if we might be close enough?

Take a look and see...

www.caldicotrcracers.co.uk

:thumbsup:

neil1967 07-03-2011 09:12 PM

Hi all,

Thank you for the time to read and reply, I have approached clubs and even offerd to either help pay, or even pay for a ramp, or some kind of lift contraption.

All was ignored the BRCA only affiliate clubs and therefore am unable to step in and help, i am sure one day that i may be able to race again soon, also someone mentioned Ardent i have raced my Mardave there and loved every minute of it so a big thanks goes to John at Ardent racing.

Again thank you all for the replys, PS if Melinda could supply a ramp i would be mor than happy :wub

sldmodels 07-03-2011 09:23 PM

I was watching Midlands Today earlier, and it said that the council's in this area are sitting on £70million worth of funds to go to "community projects". Say Tesco want to build a new supermarket, as a sweetener, they give so much money to pay for these things. I'm sure it's not just the midlands this happens in, but it might be worth applying for some of that money, also, if it can be organised through the BRCA, ordering more than just one off items, we could get any costs reduced.

Other than that, there are charities that could help, but it would be upto the person needing the help with the co-operation of the club concerned, so in Sam's case (my ex), we'd ask Scope (Cerebral Palsey charity), and then organisations like the Lions, the Rotary club etc.

Dazzler 07-03-2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neil1967 (Post 472491)
Hi all,

Thank you for the time to read and reply, I have approached clubs and even offerd to either help pay, or even pay for a ramp, or some kind of lift contraption.

All was ignored the BRCA only affiliate clubs and therefore am unable to step in and help, i am sure one day that i may be able to race again soon, also someone mentioned Ardent i have raced my Mardave there and loved every minute of it so a big thanks goes to John at Ardent racing.

Again thank you all for the replys, PS if Melinda could supply a ramp i would be mor than happy :wub

When you say you have approached clubs, have you actually visited and spoke to the people who run it? You may find that details like e-mail addresses are no longer being used, web sites not updated etc. Most clubs rely upon members with specific skills to help organise such things, and unfortunately members move on for whatever reason, and these things lapse. So to go there is a sure fire way of ensuring they know you would like to race there, and that you would like to find a way of making it possible / wheelchair friendly.

I'm sure if you visit your local club, see what facilities they do or don't have, make sure it's somewhere you actually want to go and race, then propose what would be needed, most clubs, individuals and committee's would see what could be done.

It sounds like you're giving up on a hobby you have previously enjoyed and would like to continue enjoying... I'm sure you could make this happen if you want it to. That's my thoughts and suggestion anyway.... :thumbsup:

sldmodels 07-03-2011 09:49 PM

it's something we all need to think about, as we're all getting older.

lotussmart 07-03-2011 11:28 PM

John from Ardent here, we have the privilege of being permanent, so a breeze block solid ramp structure was fairly easy to throw together, I sympathise with both wheel chair users and RC clubs as they will desperately want to accommodate you but sometimes factors get in the way, not just money, but permission, health and safety etc.. I do think that clubs that host BRCA (and other large events) should provide access and those clubs when looking for indoor venues to run from should look for buildings that have stages as rostrums and will therefore most likely have wheelchair access. There are charities that can help fund the improvement of facilities, we ourselves are looking at building a toilet block that has disabled access (this is currently a big problem and is very much playing on all our minds at Ardent). Watch this space and i'll let you know how we get on with it all. It would be useful for the BRCA to collate and report whether clubs have wheelchair access onto rostrums, just a thought. In the meantime good luck with your racing and hope we see you back soon.