oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vintage RC (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Lazer zxr (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26223)

isobarik 26-06-2009 10:21 AM

Lazer zxr

http://proxy1.pixbox.se/arkivet/synl...0/28269100.jpg

Have an shorter fron tower so i can use s shocks instead of m shocks.

mvh isobarik

Panic 26-06-2009 03:30 PM

Here is my lazer

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...7/IMG_1874.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...7/IMG_1885.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...7/IMG_1872.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...7/IMG_1886.jpg

Welshy40 26-06-2009 03:50 PM

Panic Wow!!! Looks almost identical to my original. Nice work, have you tried it yet? More of a balanced feel. Also is the servo in correctly (looks like you dont have the servo plate on) as the servo fits within the undertray and the servo horn almost touches the belt. Also the red wire going over the top can go under the top deck as there are two slots on the top deck close to the esc specifically for you to tie wrap the wire to the top deck in between the belt. Still looks good and i understand why you redesigned the front tower, so top notch!!! Great job

Ema 04-07-2009 09:43 PM

Hi guys,
just came back from some vacation ...

Seems that now your Lazer is finished and ready to race !! And it also looks really super :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: !! Definitely a great work !!

I really hope to have some free time in the near future in order to be able to build my zxr ...

Please let us know how it runs ;) !!

Bye
Ema
P.S. Are your running a 6.5 or a 5.5 ?

Welshy40 05-07-2009 01:06 PM

Id say a 6.5 would be the wise decision. When you upgrade to lipo you will see why.

Robbiejuk 28-07-2009 11:37 AM

I have just started racing mine again and it's ace :) 6.5 and LRP Lipos and it wheelies nicely out of the corners. :thumbsup:

isobarik 02-08-2009 05:47 PM

Here is mine with the new LA-118 on it. have miss placed the spur but what the heck i´ll just order some more from RW.

http://proxy1.pixbox.se/arkivet/synl...0/28831747.jpg

mvh Isobarik

Welshy40 02-08-2009 08:47 PM

Wise choice, makes life easier. Ive just sorted my zxs and finally managed to stop it from wheelying as well as rolling due to over grip. Im getting a few extra items made up for me and when fitted the pics will be posted on the petit website. I will put the link on when posted. Then its time to see how competitive it really is. Spurs, didnt think rw did 100 but schumacher do a 98 which does work but if you can find a 97 then just go down one tooth on the pinion.

isobarik 03-08-2009 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welshy40 (Post 271004)
Wise choice, makes life easier. Ive just sorted my zxs and finally managed to stop it from wheelying as well as rolling due to over grip. Im getting a few extra items made up for me and when fitted the pics will be posted on the petit website. I will put the link on when posted. Then its time to see how competitive it really is. Spurs, didnt think rw did 100 but schumacher do a 98 which does work but if you can find a 97 then just go down one tooth on the pinion.

I have ordered 100 tooth spur from rw and will do it againg... :lol:

48Dp available from 45 tooth to 105 tooth.

mvh isobarik

Welshy40 03-08-2009 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isobarik (Post 271056)
I have ordered 100 tooth spur from rw and will do it againg... :lol:

48Dp available from 45 tooth to 105 tooth.

mvh isobarik

I didnt know that, thanks. :thumbsup:

caneye 03-08-2009 07:22 AM

are those the standard shocks that came on the zxr?
seeing that i'm only familiar with the zx5, how does the zxr differ from the zxs? :confused:

and is the zx-r the most "race-capable" of the series?
i saw a couple of lazer alphas and they looked to have mainly black plastic chassis & shocks (comparable to the lazer zx5 rtr in the market today)

Welshy40 03-08-2009 01:20 PM

Those shocks are upgrades and better than the standard kyosho shocks. I think they are 3racing and almost the same except for a solid bottom on the shock body. I prefer this design to the protos i had.

The zx5 hubs, steering from the original and shocks were all developed for the zxs, funny tho that it made it onto the zx5. In my opinion the zxs is a better buggy on clay than the zxr was but i do agree with you that i prefer the zxr on carpet to the zxs as its easier to dial.

I think the alpha design was kindof used on the zx5 with cheap plastic parts for the basic kit. Its funny that kyosho got to design a better buggy one after the other then went backwards with the zx5. Pity.

caneye 04-08-2009 01:47 AM

hi welshy - how about the original lazer zx? how does that stack up against the zxr, zxs?
do u know if there's a place that lists the incremental differences between the zx, zxr, zxs?

Welshy40 04-08-2009 12:34 PM

The zx could make an indoor carpet a final with ease, just so long as you replace the shock towers for carbon fibre or glass fibre. I put one into the top ten in the uk indoor champs with gear diffs (the only car there with them) and worked well.

The zx and zxr mk1 chassis batt positioning were fractionally further forwards than the zxr mk2. The zx had two top decks and gear diffs (which work better on high grip carpet tracks than the ball diffs) and the slipper clutch had balls on the spur and i admit i did like it as this did act like another diff and made the drive train smoother but also added weight to the layshaft. It also altered the way the car performed but that idea may be something that i will try in my zxs. The wishbones had webbing and made them much stronger evan though these very rarely brake due to the material used to make them. Also shock towers were alloy and fragile on the zx, also the steering plate was straight across and was prefered to the zxr which had angles at either end as it helped reduced bump steer to zero.

Other than that the rest of the zx/zxr/zxrr used the same hubs, wishbones,pivot pins,pivot holders,steering,gearboxes. Ok the zxrs had ball diffs and the mk1 had a two pad slipper pretty much the same as whats on the rc10 b4, and the mk2 had a plate on a single slipper pad so you can screw your spur gear on without messing the slipper adjustment, so much like the rc10 and rc10 b2. Shock towers did alter from the mk1 and 2 fractionaly.

Wheels and shells were also different.

I hope this makes sense. Pm me your email address so i can senf u pics of the zxs so u can see all the differences (which is ninety percent) from the zx and zxr.

isobarik 06-08-2009 06:19 AM

Welsh where in uk can i get some chrystals for an JR radio ???

mvh Isobarik

Welshy40 06-08-2009 06:24 AM

Unsure, may be a better idea to post a message in general talk and see what they say.

terry.sc 06-08-2009 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caneye (Post 271394)
do u know if there's a place that lists the incremental differences between the zx, zxr, zxs?

For a full list, have a look here

Welshy40 06-08-2009 12:32 PM

Terry,

To the rescue again. Blimey I missed off quite a bit didnt I.

What do reckon though on the slipper system on the ZX being used now with the brushless motors. Ok so the layshaft gears may need to be bigger on one side to account for the 60/40 system. Im tempted to give it a go.

terry.sc 08-08-2009 02:23 AM

Not sure about the ZX centre ball diff, but then I ran mine with the balls removed so it became a crude slipper as the diff sending all the power to the spinning front wheels wasn't the best design idea in the world. Fitting the reverse one way rear drive hub on the layshaft would also sort it, but obviously the cheap option was to leave the balls out.:woot:

I know the ZX-R should handle brushless, my runner has been totally reliable (ignoring accident damage!) with 10 - 12 turn brushed motors in it for some time now.

Welshy40 08-08-2009 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terry.sc (Post 272927)
Not sure about the ZX centre ball diff, but then I ran mine with the balls removed so it became a crude slipper as the diff sending all the power to the spinning front wheels wasn't the best design idea in the world. Fitting the reverse one way rear drive hub on the layshaft would also sort it, but obviously the cheap option was to leave the balls out.:woot:

I know the ZX-R should handle brushless, my runner has been totally reliable (ignoring accident damage!) with 10 - 12 turn brushed motors in it for some time now.

Terry the zxr slipper can easily handle a ten (mine had a 19 upto 23 pinion) and a nine turn but the problem is the slipper pad if old deteriorates and dies and the only replacement is associated pad as kyosho stopped making them and no stock is anywhere.

The centre diff can be finely tuned to give more power to the rear or front or equal and can be used as a slipper that wont wear out very quickly.

Well im trialing one soon and will update, once that is i have a new spur gear molded specifically to use the balls on an 87 spur.

Panic 12-08-2009 05:13 AM

Hey guys , i know it might sound insane but i m trying to find a carbon fibre tub chassis for my ZXR ...I read somewhere that in the past a chassis like that existed . I ve emailed fibrelyte if they had something ...but no luck.

Any ideas ?:confused:

Welshy40 12-08-2009 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panic (Post 274242)
Hey guys , i know it might sound insane but i m trying to find a carbon fibre tub chassis for my ZXR ...I read somewhere that in the past a chassis like that existed . I ve emailed fibrelyte if they had something ...but no luck.

Any ideas ?:confused:

Contact Stephen at fibre-lyte, and ask if he can dig out the design for the first carbon fibre tub chassis ever made for the ZXR (mk1 version) that was designed for James Instone in the early 90's. He should be able to find it, and it works like a dream on the car. I would recommend asking for the cell holes to be filled in if your going to use lipos, as it was designed with the original with cell holes in the chassis like a flat chassis.

Hope this helps. If you get no where let me know by PM and I will see what I can do.

terry.sc 12-08-2009 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panic (Post 274242)
I read somewhere that in the past a chassis like that existed.

Yeah, it was made by Fibre-Lyte.

If you can persuade them to make one for you expect it to cost £120-150 though!

Welshy40 12-08-2009 08:12 PM

Im going to have one made for my zx-s in the near future. Itll be a blinder like my design for the zxr tub. Still deciding what else to add to it.

isobarik 13-08-2009 11:09 AM

I have also emailed fiberlyte about an tube chassi but they said thet they didnt had any mold.:(

mvh isobarik

Welshy40 13-08-2009 11:28 AM

Ive just had a chat with them and its not that they dont have it, more that they dont have the time at the moment to look for the molds.

They will when they have some time look for me but as and when that is going to happen is another thing. These guys work hard and are always busy but they will look sometime soon (lets hope anyway).

Cost will definately be around the £120 - £150 mark. If you think its pricey then look at it this way, the chassis wont break and the bodyshell lifespan is x 4 as the chassis doesnt flex or break like the undershell.

Hehe just think if Jason Green hadnt stood on my ZX chassis and broken my top deck and esc the tub may not have been out as early as 93. Its sides were high to protect the esc and servo from people standing on the chassi when marshalling.

Panic 13-08-2009 04:49 PM

For me its worth spending the money, even though i dont use the car in the track anymore....zxr was my 1st rc car and i still love it :drool:. Guess we just have to wait and see...hope fibre lyte make it soon.

Welshy40 13-08-2009 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panic (Post 274874)
For me its worth spending the money, even though i dont use the car in the track anymore....zxr was my 1st rc car and i still love it :drool:. Guess we just have to wait and see...hope fibre lyte make it soon.

I will be dealing with them quite a bit over the next couple of months so will keep trying.

isobarik 14-08-2009 08:26 AM

Yeah im in for an tub chassi....

mvh Isobarik

bryn 14-08-2009 06:33 PM

hi folks. i'm in the carbonfibre business. all proper autoclave cured pre-preg stuff. i may be able to help if you are struggling with your carbon tubs. i could do them for a trade? (old lazers, ultimas, schumachers, tamiyas and possibly brushless bits)

cheers,
bryn

isobarik 23-08-2009 05:00 PM

and then we come to the problem we have to seperate us from oure preciuss cars..:D

http://proxy1.pixbox.se/arkivet/synl...0/29125790.jpg

I have fitted the la118 and some good looking correct size spur from rwracing looks kind of nice but i dont have an body ...yet...

mvh Isobarik

Ema 03-09-2009 08:50 AM

Is someone still searching for a tub chassis ?
Check out this link ;) :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=250492153284

Bye
Ema

isobarik 03-09-2009 11:49 AM

damn that red belt look sexy.:woot:...why cant i find one ???

hm ...hm or pink i got to start searching.

mvh isobarik

malkusson 03-09-2009 03:36 PM

I remember those red belts, bought them because I was told they would last "forever". And forever in my case was four runs then it snapped....
I think it was WASP that made them...????
But they look cool so for a shelf-queen it's a "must have"

//Kenneth

terry.sc 03-09-2009 05:15 PM

I ran a set of the 'low friction' WASP orange belts. The rear lasted no more than 3 weeks before having all the teeth stripped off it.

isobarik 03-09-2009 05:16 PM

Ja visst var det så men fn det ser ju så mycket coolare ut med en röd eller ännu bättre rosa.

Kommer ihåg att på sm skarpnäck för hundra år sedan gick remmen av innan målgång vilket gjorde att bilen snurrade samt att han blev inte etta som han säkert hade tänkt sig.....surt sa räven...

ngt tips att få caten att hålla och inte få in en massa sten i bakremen.

m,vh isobarik

Welshy40 03-09-2009 06:27 PM

I never ran them, as the word at the time was if you didnt get the tension right they stripped. Not worth the agro considering the standard items lasted a very long time. I got through two or three belts in ten years and thats three club events and a race event every week.

isobarik 04-09-2009 05:37 AM

but they did look good welsh at leats you can agree on that.
i remeber when i was at the swedish nationals not driving just as mechanic for a friend who was driving an procat.
Anyway there was an guy driving an lazer zxr he had an belt like thet and it snapped just before the finish line so instead of finish first i think he was 8 that sucked i belive....

mvh isobarik

Welshy40 05-09-2009 04:20 PM

Hehehe gutted. :thumbdown:

isobarik 07-09-2009 08:02 AM

Since i dont have any body for any of my lazers
i played around and started building this

http://proxy1.pixbox.se/arkivet/synl...0/29299230.jpg

Equalizer shocks and fiberlyte front shock tower have order one for the rear aswell and un hyperclutch set LAW 12
It already has balldiffs and composit craft chassi and carbon topdeck technacraft rods and losi ends so i think i just add the clutch, blue steering and the teamline hubs.

mvh isobarik