oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   1/10th OFF ROAD (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   wheel cleaning ! (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153069)

shaun m 27-06-2014 09:56 AM

wheel cleaning !

Whats the best way to keep your wheels looking clean and bright ? , most of my shuey white wheels are going a bit iffy!!

I normaly clean em , accetone the tyres off ( cut the majority off first ) then wash them again using a scotch brite pad , but just hate the yellowy / off white tint !!

have tried bleaching them and also put them in a bowl of caustic soda and nothing seems to help !!

:thumbsup:

Big G 27-06-2014 10:07 AM

I just wash mine under the hot tap with a nail brush. they only get dirty when racing on damp grass though. don't find the usual astro racing gets them dirty

Jason A 27-06-2014 10:15 AM

Hi,

Brake cleaner on a bit of cloth normally does the trick when wheels look bit shabby.

Thanks

DCM 27-06-2014 11:24 AM

Jiff kitchen cleaner....

Col 27-06-2014 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaun m (Post 864047)
... scotch brite pad ...

That's your problem. You are scratching off the shiney, smooth, protective layer. Everytime you do it they will look better, but actually be worse.

dpackster1980 27-06-2014 05:43 PM

Baby wipes are best at cleaning everything, just don't let the missus catch you.

Andyp 27-06-2014 05:56 PM

The yellow/off White should wipe off with some clean acetone on a rag.

Danny Harrison 27-06-2014 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaun m (Post 864047)
Whats the best way to keep your wheels looking clean and bright ? , most of my shuey white wheels are going a bit iffy!!

I normaly clean em , accetone the tyres off ( cut the majority off first ) then wash them again using a scotch brite pad , but just hate the yellowy / off white tint !!

have tried bleaching them and also put them in a bowl of caustic soda and nothing seems to help !!

:thumbsup:

Trainer whitener works a treat

Pacman 27-06-2014 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Col (Post 864104)
That's your problem. You are scratching off the shiney, smooth, protective layer. Everytime you do it they will look better, but actually be worse.

There's no protective layer. These wheels are made from one material only.

Danny Harrison 27-06-2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pacman (Post 864124)
There's no protective layer. These wheels are made from one material only.

I think what col meens is that by rubbing with scotchbright it turns the shiny polished finish into a rough engrained finish, which attracts the dirt much more.

Trainer whitener, quick and easy, win ;)

shaun m 27-06-2014 10:50 PM

thanks for all your help , i know wha col is saying about using a scotch brite , it obiusly will dull them down , but i'm no bothered about the dullness , its the stained/ tinted colour i'm not liking !!

thanks for the help , but the trainer whitener sound cool , will try some of the other tips tomorrow , before i glue some new boots on!! cheers :thumbsup:

Col 29-06-2014 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Harrison (Post 864127)
I think what col meens is that by rubbing with scotchbright it turns the shiny polished finish into a rough engrained finish, which attracts the dirt much more.

Trainer whitener, quick and easy, win ;)

Spot on Dan. A rough finish will stain easily, whereas a smooth one will not.

Origineelreclamebord 30-06-2014 06:21 AM

Just out of curiosity. why not use fluor yellow rims? Brands sometimes hues slightly different colours/hues, but other than that it just seems as if dirt can't stop the yellow from being bright :lol:

PS: I must admit, I use white rims too. However, once my current wheels are just too far gone I will switch to yellow for its good colour retention.

PS2: I can second what's been said about rough surfaces attracting dirt: I race Tamiya rims and they have a texture on them out of the package. You can get them relatively clean again, but they get stained very easily (you can't just wipe off the dirt like you can with smooth surface wheels).

tomtom 30-06-2014 10:32 AM

I use an acetone free varnish remover (the one to remove nail varnish) to clean my wheels of when they got tires on, very nice.

After rubber could be removed by the acetone bath I use some fresh acetone on a cloth to remove any residue and put the wheels on my dishwasher at the highest temp and they keep their condition pretty nicely.

Not all wheels are equal, I use Kyosho stuff, maybe some lower quality wheels might not like the 70deg dishwasher

Welshy40 30-06-2014 03:43 PM

Anti bacterial wet wipes remove rubber marks from wheels and bodyshell plus removes paint as well.

jimmy 30-06-2014 03:57 PM

Motosave - 4 tyres removed for £10.
Take them to my mates and bead blast them for free.

A048 tyres £500.. shit.

bodgit 30-06-2014 04:22 PM

Some old threads

http://www.oople.com/forums/search.php?searchid=4507130