oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Race Chat (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Considering a return ! (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201442)

GrahamH7060 18-01-2019 06:33 PM

Considering a return !

Hi all hope you’re well !

I’ve been away from the RC scene for about 4 1/2 years now , sold all my gear last summer as I’ve been focusing on drones and been busy with other things
Also having no dedicated area to work on RC stuff ( as my wife hates it !) it’s been difficult to be involved

I’ll be making a workroom in my garage soon so I’ll have a place to tinker !

Anyway I’m considering getting back into it for the spring and was looking for recommendations for new gear

I’ll be racing 2wd 1/10th off road , on Astro , need stick Tx and I have a good budget , not saying money is no object but I can afford to buy decent stuff

So in summary
2wd kit
Stick transmitter
Speedo
Motor
Servo
Batteries
Transponder
Already have a charging set up as I kept that and my polybutler pit box
Hauler bag

Thanks in advance for your help

G

jonro7 18-01-2019 06:59 PM

Start up

Hi

I’ve recently done the same, packed in around 10 years ago and recently made a come back into 2wd off road. After looking into it and talking to several people I ended up buying a Kyosho RB6.6 (now I’ve upgraded to a 7) and kitted it out with all Orion gear. back in the day Orion were the electrics to have so figured they probably still are. Everything seems great, i don’t have any reliability issues (touch wood) and the help and support from the team guys is great!!

As for Transmitter, I bought a KO Esprit 4. Again touch wood no issues and they great as they used to!

Hope this helps a little!

GrahamH7060 18-01-2019 07:02 PM

Thanks for the response , I’ll consider all options at this early stage , last Kyosho I owned was in 1985! :thumbsup:

Rocker79 18-01-2019 07:32 PM

Yokomo YZ2CAL2 best car out of the box, there is a new version out around March though so be worth waiting for...

GrahamH7060 18-01-2019 07:38 PM

Thanks Rocker79 looked at the Yokomo looks a lovely kit , think a couple of guys at my local club run it too so I think I’ll pop down for a nosy

tonydevon 18-01-2019 07:47 PM

Buggy.. that is personal choice. I love the PR type R. Fully loaded out the box. And in my area very very popular.

Electrics i think the maclan are superb.
If you use android phone then no need for program box or pc/laptop to flash them etc.

Adjust everything your heart desires as well as data logging etc.

GrahamH7060 18-01-2019 08:09 PM

Thanks tonydevon I’ll take a look , I’ve already been advised on the Maclan stuff and it looks amazing , not running Android I’m afraid but with a programme card I doubt I’ll have any issues

Zipper 18-01-2019 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrahamH7060 (Post 996089)
Anyway I’m considering getting back into it for the spring and was looking for recommendations for new gear

I’ll be racing 2wd 1/10th off road , on Astro , need stick Tx and I have a good budget , not saying money is no object but I can afford to buy decent stuff.

G

Will be good to see you back... although I've not raced in months! :lol:

GrahamH7060 18-01-2019 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zipper (Post 996096)
Will be good to see you back... although I've not raced in months! :lol:

Be good to see you too mate ! Kids for you mate ! ... take over your life ! 😂😂
Been considering the B6.1 any good ??

Steve.T 18-01-2019 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrahamH7060 (Post 996097)

Are you thinking of all new kit or second hand gear?

GrahamH7060 18-01-2019 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve.T (Post 996098)
Are you thinking of all new kit or second hand gear?

All new stuff

Zipper 19-01-2019 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrahamH7060 (Post 996097)

I still run a B6, which is great. If I raced more often I'd definitely go for the B6.1.

Aire valley 19-01-2019 04:15 PM

Go to your local club and see what is favourite there..always a good way to get advice and support..
Cars, probably, the most popular are Yokomo Yz2 and Associated B6.1 , they are popular E cause they are good, and spares are readily available.
Electrics are subjective....Reedy are excellent as are LRP.. , however, Orion, Maclan are also very popular..
Transmitters, as always, Futaba, KO Sanwa are all popular..
Good luck..and enjoy..

GrahamH7060 19-01-2019 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aire valley (Post 996108)
Go to your local club and see what is favourite there..always a good way to get advice and support..
Cars, probably, the most popular are Yokomo Yz2 and Associated B6.1 , they are popular E cause they are good, and spares are readily available.
Electrics are subjective....Reedy are excellent as are LRP.. , however, Orion, Maclan are also very popular..
Transmitters, as always, Futaba, KO Sanwa are all popular..
Good luck..and enjoy..

Yes I’ll pop down for a look I think , cheers

GrahamH7060 03-02-2019 06:54 PM

After much deliberation I’ve decided I’m going to get a B6.1 ! Has anyone got any “must have” hop up suggestions that I should buy prior to building the kit ? And recommendations for diff / shock oils too please ? I’ll be running outdoors on Astro

I do like a bit of bling so I’ve been looking at JConcepts hop ups but not sure which are most important

Many thanks

G

johnboy 03-02-2019 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrahamH7060 (Post 996475)
After much deliberation I’ve decided I’m going to get a B6.1 ! Has anyone got any “must have” hop up suggestions that I should buy prior to building the kit ? And recommendations for diff / shock oils too please ? I’ll be running outdoors on Astro

I do like a bit of bling so I’ve been looking at JConcepts hop ups but not sure which are most important

Many thanks

G

After a break I came back and got the B6.1 great car extras I got were the alloy bellcranks and steering rack, the brass bulkhead, steel under servo weight. Start with kit set up for shocks and diff oil and see how the car goes.

GrahamH7060 09-02-2019 02:30 PM

Just thought I’d give a bit of an update!

Got the Associated B6.1 ordered , being delivered on Monday! Reedy RT1508 hi torque servo , avid triad slipper , few bits of bling coming too from DMS racing
Already got a Futaba T4grs radio
I will also be buying a Reedy 510R esc and Reedy Zapper shorty lipo

Zipper 09-02-2019 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrahamH7060 (Post 996626)
few bits of bling coming too

Of course you do! :lol:

matt 09-02-2019 09:40 PM

As have already been said alloy bell cranks but i kept the plastic drag link, Alloy servo horn as that busted 1st meeting, steel servo and speedo weights. Very nice cars.

GrahamH7060 10-02-2019 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt (Post 996641)
As have already been said alloy bell cranks but i kept the plastic drag link, Alloy servo horn as that busted 1st meeting, steel servo and speedo weights. Very nice cars.

Cheers Matt , was wondering which weights were most useful, I always use alloy servo horns anyway , is the brass front bulkhead necessary too ?