oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRCA Nationals & Regionals (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Legalise Lipos (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13551)

The race controller 28-08-2008 08:35 PM

Legalise Lipos

BRCA AGM is coming up. How about legalising Lipos ? (Not just tenth off road either.)

burgie 28-08-2008 08:56 PM

there has been lots of threads and discussions on this very topic....not much point in starting a new one.

The race controller 28-08-2008 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burgie (Post 154585)
there has been lots of threads and discussions on this very topic....not much point in starting a new one.

I tried to search for same but got loads of lipo stuff but none to put it to the AGM for legalising.

Chrislong 28-08-2008 09:19 PM

Hi Roger,
I have sent a proposal to Charlie Fraser, and Jonathan Clark has used the proposal to re-write the rules in the handbook in preparation.

All we need now is attendance at the AGM in order to get the votes. Im glad you are supporting them, personally I don't want to use cells again - just Lipo's now.

Are you attending the BRCA AGM?

Chris

The race controller 28-08-2008 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrislong (Post 154597)
Hi Roger,
I have sent a proposal to Charlie Fraser, and Jonathan Clark has used the proposal to re-write the rules in the handbook in preparation.

All we need now is attendance at the AGM in order to get the votes. Im glad you are supporting them, personally I don't want to use cells again - just Lipo's now.

Are you attending the BRCA AGM?

Chris

Why ? is the AGM being held in Radcliffe ?

Chrislong 29-08-2008 07:11 AM

:eh?: No

terry.sc 29-08-2008 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The race controller (Post 154606)
Why ? is the AGM being held in Radcliffe ?

The point is that you can sit there and say as often as you want that you want lipo to be legal, but unless people go to the AGM and more people vote for them than vote against them it's never going to happen.

If you don't go to the AGM and vote, and lipos aren't made legal you can't complain about the decision.

The race controller 29-08-2008 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terry.sc (Post 154694)
The point is that you can sit there and say as often as you want that you want lipo to be legal, but unless people go to the AGM and more people vote for them than vote against them it's never going to happen.

If you don't go to the AGM and vote, and lipos aren't made legal you can't complain about the decision.

Well Terry, of the AGM's I have attended all the talk is about Nationals.
That, is not why I do all the running around at Bury.
That bloke that turns up to race at Bury is the bloke I do it for and he wants to run Lipo's.

mole2k 29-08-2008 11:20 PM

If it's just club racing then there has never been anything stopping you running lipo's. The rules only apply to brca affiliated events hence why they talk about the nationals at the AGM's as they are the only events offically affected by it. (not sure if regionals are allowed to modify the rules as they see fit or not)

neiloliver 30-08-2008 08:57 AM

There is of course more to it than just "legalise them", a full set of construction rules are required regarding voltage, capacity, cell type, casing type, dimensions, safety tests etc etc... otherwise any sort of lithium ion polymer cell configuration could be used.. to do all of this is a lot of work. it is not an enviable task!

N

terry.sc 30-08-2008 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The race controller (Post 154943)
Well Terry, of the AGM's I have attended all the talk is about Nationals.
That, is not why I do all the running around at Bury.
That bloke that turns up to race at Bury is the bloke I do it for and he wants to run Lipo's.

As has been said if someone wants to run lipos then it's up to the club to decide whether to let him, nothing to do with the BRCA rules at all which are written specifically for national meetings. It's down to the individual clubs whether they use the same rules or not.
Touring cars already use lipos in the ProStock class and the bikes have been using soft cased ones for years in their national meetings.

There's already a set of BRCA construction rules regarding lipos and even an Electric Board list of approved hard case lipos here

cjm_2008 30-08-2008 03:00 PM

I ran at this years 2nd BRCA welsh regional back in june.

it was great - except that, even though I qualified 5th overall, I had to start at the back of the grid, in the lowest final, racing against the kids.

nothing wrong with that, at the end of the day we all love lapping 7 year olds (!!!!)... but it was all due to the fact I was running Lipo cells.

obviously I won the final. but I couldn't get a trophy because I was running Lipo.

I'd like to run a full national campaign next year - it's been an ambition of mine since I was 14 - but I'm buggered if I'm going to go out and buy six+ sets of expensive and outdated nimh cell packs which are useless after 40 race cycles :)

Gaz_Stanton 30-08-2008 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjm_2008 (Post 155004)
I but I'm buggered if I'm going to go out and buy six+ sets of expensive and outdated nimh cell packs which are useless after 40 race cycles :)

You definitely don't need that many! I've done the Nationals and Euros [6 days solid of 6 runs a day] this year, both classes, on just 3 packs of Neil's Stormforce 4500 cells. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Northy 01-09-2008 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mole2k (Post 154955)
(not sure if regionals are allowed to modify the rules as they see fit or not)

There are very few rules that regional championships can alter, and running non BRCA homologated cells and motors is not one of them.

G

Jonesy 01-09-2008 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz_Stanton (Post 155005)
You definitely don't need that many! I've done the Nationals and Euros [6 days solid of 6 runs a day] this year, both classes, on just 3 packs of Neil's Stormforce 4500 cells. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'll second that one!! Until I recently bought a pack of Stormforce from Neil I've been running on 3 set's of 4500 from Glyn Ward all year!

ben 01-09-2008 09:29 PM

Same here. I bought 4 packs but a cell went down on one pack. So have just ended up using 2 or 3 packs at each national :thumbsup:

Kopite 01-09-2008 09:32 PM

me too, ran 4 packs all year for both classes.

hey, with LiPo, i'd only need 1 pack:drool:

terry.sc 01-09-2008 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjm_2008 (Post 155004)
I'm buggered if I'm going to go out and buy six+ sets of expensive and outdated nimh cell packs which are useless after 40 race cycles :)

1) Those cells that destroyed themselves have effectively been banned from racing, so you wouldn't be using them.
2)As others have said you don't need 'one run' packs any more.

But if you want lipos I hope you'll be at the AGM voting for them:thumbsup:

Bungleaio 02-09-2008 08:08 AM

Where and when is it?

stegger 02-09-2008 08:23 AM

It's on the 26th October, but unsure where.