oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Team Durango (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Ride height on dex210 rtr (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170734)

arceye 14-08-2015 10:19 AM

Ride height on dex210 rtr

First off, I'm not very good with set ups or tweaking stuff. Only been racing 7 months with no previous experience. I bought the rtr as it seemed to be a decent starting point, then spent hundreds getting it up to spec, just fitted the +8mm ally chassis this week.
My question is about setting the ride height, I watched the official Durango video on it (adjust the springs) but doing this on mine still left me up in the clouds (about 28mm) Looking at some set up sheets for a base set up on astro ( for Batley regional at weekend) they seem to all run at 19/ 20 mm. Now I've managed to get my ride height down to this by using the droop screws to push the wishbones up. Can I do it this way or will it just drive like a dog? If not, how do I drop the ride height? Prob an easy answer but Im a bit clueless. So any advice guys?

Steven Forster 14-08-2015 10:47 AM

You can put shock limiters (washers) under the piston in the shocks itself to help with droop/ride height....

A good basic starting point will be to run wishbones level on the front and driveshafts level at the back...

Check this out....

http://users.telenet.be/elvo/

Ashlandchris 14-08-2015 10:56 AM

I don't know Durango set ups, but if the car is sitting at 28mm standard and even having the springs fully let out, will it not make the suspension "stiff" by forcing the ride ht lower. Does this not need softer springs?

arceye 14-08-2015 11:25 AM

God Dex, I need a degree to understand all that lol. I have gullwing wishbones so not sure what's level, the washers on the shocks I've heard about before( jason asked how many i had in my yoko, i just shrugged lol) gone over my head, anyone know what part number it might be? Lol.
So what will what I've done do to the handling?

arceye 14-08-2015 11:31 AM

Ashlandchris, your guess is as good as mine. The standard springs are pretty soft, so it might work? I couldve hit the set up jackpot or more likely I'll pop like a jack in a box doing 40 down the straight. :lol: soon find out Sunday and its not a big job adding the droop back.

Ashlandchris 14-08-2015 12:04 PM

I'm just surprise that the car is sitting at 28mm on soft springs at full extension.:confused:

I race at Batley and though I am no "set up" expert, my standard kit Yoke yz2 only sits at ~18mm without any need to put limiters on. I'm surprised that a rango wouldn't be similar (as you say, most set ups suggest 19mm so the rtr would usually give a standard set up

Does car have batteries and all the other gubbins in when you measure it, and do you hold it 6inches from ground and allow it to drop and "settle" on a flat surface before measuring?

Steven Forster 14-08-2015 12:14 PM

Here you go mark......took all of 20 seconds to find :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKTfEGZom4Q

Steven Forster 14-08-2015 12:38 PM

Also...

http://www.team-durango.com/ttt-arti...rticle_id=3292

arceye 14-08-2015 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Forster (Post 922388)
Here you go mark......took all of 20 seconds to find :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKTfEGZom4Q

Which is the vid I mentioned at the start, keep up numpty! Where in that vid does it show stripping shocks down and adding shims? It just magically ends up right. Lol.
Plus I did have the battery and everything else on when I checked, surprisingly for me.

mattr 14-08-2015 07:08 PM

Which holes do you have the shocks in on tower and wishbone? Too far inboard at both ends can jack the ride height up.
How much rebound do you have on the shocks? (I have none).

Just checked mine with no battery and it's 22mm rear, 20 front. There's still another couple of mm to go, both ends, if I lift it manually. (I run short packs as well.) Running height is 19 all round.

arceye 14-08-2015 07:23 PM

Rebound? Ain't the foggiest lol, probably none. I haven't stripped the shocks down since I bought it, just re-done the oil a couple of times. Shock mount positions are are in middle at the top front and back, outer hole on wishbone at front and mid hole on rear. As I say, I'm clueless with set ups and I never really change owt. I Figured I should get competent at driving then go looking for added performance.

Steven Forster 14-08-2015 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arceye (Post 922446)
Rebound? Ain't the foggiest lol, probably none. I haven't stripped the shocks down since I bought it, just re-done the oil a couple of times. Shock mount positions are are in middle at the top front and back, outer hole on wishbone at front and mid hole on rear. As I say, I'm clueless with set ups and I never really change owt. I Figured I should get competent at driving then go looking for added performance.

Haha....me a numpty.....its not me who's asking about ride height and doesn't know what rebound is lol :p :woot:

If you've got a manual have a look at it....if not download one.....Google/YouTube things.....they don't all have to be all Durango specific....just in general......or you could strip shocks down to see all the parts.....depending on your car, you may or may not have a washer under the piston on your shock shaft.....if not try one....if you have try adding another one.....what weight oil have you got in the shocks....what rate are the springs....need more Ino to help out.....post some pics up as well....

Dombrasky 14-08-2015 08:13 PM

The rebound of the shocks is how far the shaft returns after being pushed fully in with no springs attached, ideally none as mattr mentions above
if the shocks have too much oil,(or air) in them, the shaft would have too much rebound, and would jack the car up making the ride height too high

mattr 14-08-2015 08:28 PM

How did you "do the oil"?
Properly, or just fill and close the cap?
If it's the latter you may well have 100% rebound, which will make the car handle like shit. And you'll leak oil all over the place, so the car will be unpredictable too!

I'd suggest downloading the Hudy guide, the Dex210 manual, a stock setup sheet and spending an hour or two on the Durango website, watching the top tips. And rebuilding the car to a sensible starting point.

Just throwing it together and driving won't allow you to become competent, unless you are incredibly lucky. The Durango cars have absolutely masses of adjustability out of the box and getting it right by luck is pretty unlikely.
(And its worth reading the manual, as Durango shocks have a washer under the piston already, if you didn't read the manual, you wouldn't know that!)

mattr 14-08-2015 08:34 PM

http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/showfile.p...2bef0706315e0c
Hudy guide download.

The Durango stuff is on the website "in the pits" or on petitrc.

arceye 14-08-2015 08:47 PM

Deffo no rebound then, shocks went fully in when I bled them.
Dex, everyone knows I ain't the foggiest when it comes to technical jargon, I just go blank. That's why I'm asking stupid basic questions on forums lol.
But back to an earlier point that no one really answered, using droop screws to lower ride height, what will it do to the handling. Cos not all makes use em, my yoko has non, so I guess the shim in the shocks is the main way to drop the ride. So surely they could be used for such a purpose? Lol, I don't know

arceye 14-08-2015 08:58 PM

As I said in the title, its the rtr. As i was completly new to it so i took the easy root. My yoko was second hand too, so ive never built a car yet ( next car I promise I will lol) I've just repaired what's broken on it and changed gearbox around.

Jason A 14-08-2015 09:00 PM

Hi arceye

First off were are you measuring this 28mm from ?

I just measured the RTR cars i got here and with the shock collars wound fully up and the battery in the ride height is about 12mm.

I have never had to add internal washers to limit the droop on the shocks on the 210 personally.

Have you got the little rubber bump stops on the right side of the cup ie the spring side ?

Also are the ball ends wound fully onto the shock shaft so you can see no thread.

arceye 14-08-2015 09:30 PM

Hi jason, I measured from the floor to the underside of the chassis plate with my trusty steel rule at the very back and just behind the front wishbones where I can see the chassis plate clearly. I've no proper Rc style measuring devices. (Yes I know....) So am I doing it right ish?

arceye 14-08-2015 09:39 PM

The rest is as it came from the factory btw as regards ur other 2 points

luniemiester 14-08-2015 09:45 PM

Is it possible for you to load a couple of pictures of your car from front and rear so we can see if there's anything obvious?

If you have your springs collars wound all the way to the top of the shock the car should be pretty low - only think I'm wondering is of your car has the wrong shock spring bottoms fitted instead of the buggy ones?

arceye 14-08-2015 10:09 PM

4 Attachment(s)
This it with my droop screws setting the height

arceye 14-08-2015 10:25 PM

Reet, taken droop stops off and wound shock collars up and checked again. Cocked up at the front, that measures 15mm as someone said. The rear is measuring 25mm tho. Got red springs on the rear, so is that too stiff? Got the original light blue ones if they might make a different?

luniemiester 14-08-2015 10:26 PM

I'm confused by your use of the term "droop screws to set the ride height". Droop screws aren't used to set the ride height they are there to adjust the amount of droop the arms have when the car is off the ground in effect and can be used to adjust the ride in bumpy tracks or the amount of on/off power steering the car has (to be fair I never used to even fit the droop screws when I last ran my buggy)

Looking at your picture of the rear it doesn't look like 28mm to me. Are you measuring from the floor to where the bottom of the chassis is at the back or higher up?

arceye 14-08-2015 10:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That pic was with the droop screws about 2.5 mm out from the rear wishbone which pushed it all up. So that ride height was 20mm. Just loosened it all off and it measures 25mm. So my 28mm was a little ott sorry.

luniemiester 14-08-2015 10:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by arceye (Post 922470)
That pic was with the droop screws about 2.5 mm out from the rear wishbone which pushed it all up. So that ride height was 20mm. Just loosened it all off and it measures 25mm. So my 28mm was a little ott sorry.

I'm getting confused. You say the first picture you put up the ride height was 20 but now you've loosened it off its gone up to 25mm?

Have you got the head of the droop screw wound all the way in so it is touching the arm as you look from underneath

Also the first picture shows the shocks with the rubber boots on but second picture with ruler they're missing. Have you changed anything between the pictures?

If you have the kit spring then measure the red and blue side by side. They should be almost same length

Ashlandchris 14-08-2015 11:06 PM

But it looks on the pics like you could screw the shock collars a good 5mm at front and a good 3 mm at rear. This would lower ride ht?

arceye 14-08-2015 11:15 PM

Yeah I took the boots off. Think I've got it somewhere near now thank God. Sorry to mess everyone about. Just me being useless as normal. Ask Dex lol. The droop screws are not in use now you'll be pleased to know:blush:

ekt 15-08-2015 02:41 AM

The dark red springs are the hardest springs in TDs black series of springs, so that would have an effect on your ride height, try the light blue ones and see what that does for you.

honrico Diablo 15-08-2015 07:33 PM

sorry if this has already been covered Mark, but make sure the cars is fully loaded (battery in etc), then drop it from about 10 inches onto kitchen bench (which the wife will love) then measure the height. Adjust with the spring collars not the droop screws. About 20mm is fine. Higher will produce more grip, but with greater chance of grip roll. Lower the opposite effect. I found with the durango is not make to many changes at once, as it easy to create a car that's a pig to drive and you wont know why!

Has yours still got the gear diff? I found mine a pig with that in. Ball diff was much better.

Weights make a big difference too..

few handy vids here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/WatchTeamDurango/videos