oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Schumacher (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   New KF2 SE owner looking for advice (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195470)

Peter_B 09-02-2018 01:42 PM

New KF2 SE owner looking for advice

Hi,

I used to race when I was younger. Was a member of Silverstone Buggy Club many moons ago. Last time I raced I ran a ProCat (still got it, waiting to get round to a rebuild/restore).

I rediscovered the hobby a few months ago and acquired a few bashers for myself and my little boys.

I've ordered a Schumacher Cougar KF2 SE kit, with the intention of using it for a return to some racing after 20+ years.

To go with it I have:
  • Speed Passion Reventon Pro 1.1 ESC
  • Speed Passion 6.5T brushless motor or (and most likely to start with) Speed Passion 13.5T brushless motor

KF2 SE has the low grip conversion and mid motor conversion in the box to go with the standard forward motor position.

I'm trying to determine whether or not I need to order the U4706 shorty conversion to allow using a shorty behind the motor, when the motor is in the standard forward position, or whether those parts are included in the SE kit. Can anybody confirm for me?

Don't have the batteries yet (only have NiMH packs at the moment) but I think I want to go shorty as the other motor positions require shorty packs and I want to be able to use the same packs no matter what position the motor is in. Am I right there?

Of course I have no idea which motor position to go for - my local club at Daventry race on carpet. I was thinking to start with the standard forward position and go from there. Sensible thinking?

To be fair, first time out it will likely be totally standard kit setup. Other than perhaps the shorty conversion if that is needed.

For a servo I've been debating between a Savox SC-1251MG or SC-1252MG or a Bluebird BMS-621DMG from Hobbyking. I have a couple of those Bluebird servos already in my RC10 Team Car and Top Force. They seem decent enough but neither of those cars have done any running yet.

Tyres - I'm going to get a pair of pre-glued Schmacher yellow Cut Staggers for the front and a pair of Schumacher yellow Cactus for the rear.

Kit doesn't come with a pinion, it has an 83 tooth spur in the box. Looking at some setup sheets online I've seen people, running 6.5T motors, use a 23 tooth pinion with the 83 spur. Good starting point?

No idea which way to go for the 13.5T motor.

Doesn't help that I will have zero chance to test anything or even setup the slipper until the first time I turn up at the track.

Any experience and/or advice?

cjm_2008 09-02-2018 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_B (Post 984157)
Hi,

I used to race when I was younger. Was a member of Silverstone Buggy Club many moons ago. Last time I raced I ran a ProCat (still got it, waiting to get round to a rebuild/restore).

I rediscovered the hobby a few months ago and acquired a few bashers for myself and my little boys.

I've ordered a Schumacher Cougar KF2 SE kit, with the intention of using it for a return to some racing after 20+ years.

To go with it I have:
  • Speed Passion Reventon Pro 1.1 ESC
  • Speed Passion 6.5T brushless motor or (and most likely to start with) Speed Passion 13.5T brushless motor

KF2 SE has the low grip conversion and mid motor conversion in the box to go with the standard forward motor position.

I'm trying to determine whether or not I need to order the U4706 shorty conversion to allow using a shorty behind the motor, when the motor is in the standard forward position, or whether those parts are included in the SE kit. Can anybody confirm for me?

Don't have the batteries yet (only have NiMH packs at the moment) but I think I want to go shorty as the other motor positions require shorty packs and I want to be able to use the same packs no matter what position the motor is in. Am I right there?

Of course I have no idea which motor position to go for - my local club at Daventry race on carpet. I was thinking to start with the standard forward position and go from there. Sensible thinking?

To be fair, first time out it will likely be totally standard kit setup. Other than perhaps the shorty conversion if that is needed.

For a servo I've been debating between a Savox SC-1251MG or SC-1252MG or a Bluebird BMS-621DMG from Hobbyking. I have a couple of those Bluebird servos already in my RC10 Team Car and Top Force. They seem decent enough but neither of those cars have done any running yet.

Tyres - I'm going to get a pair of pre-glued Schmacher yellow Cut Staggers for the front and a pair of Schumacher yellow Cactus for the rear.

Kit doesn't come with a pinion, it has an 83 tooth spur in the box. Looking at some setup sheets online I've seen people, running 6.5T motors, use a 23 tooth pinion with the 83 spur. Good starting point?

No idea which way to go for the 13.5T motor.

Doesn't help that I will have zero chance to test anything or even setup the slipper until the first time I turn up at the track.

Any experience and/or advice?

1. You shouldn't need any additional bits to run a shorty lipo.

2. Saddles will fit, but shorty packs are much easier to work with & the car has been designed with those dimensions in mind - including the ability to move fore & aft to fine tune the weight distribution.

3. I'd start the other way round - motor rearwards, battery ahead of it. Understeer is easier to deal with & tune out. You want a car that pushes as you're re-learning (unless you're happy with a squirty car!). I can't remember what's recommended in the manual. go with whatever that says. And don't mess with it until you're able to lap consistently & accurately judge what you want the car to do.

4. gearing seems fine (go smaller if the track is twisty), but run a fan on your ESC if you're not already doing so.

5. don't worry about slipper setting, there's bound to be people willing to help & race control may be able to give you a minute or two on your own on the straight to tweak the adjuster nut.

The tyre choice you've gone for is pretty much the standard now across all 2wd carpet setups regardless of brand. Personally I much prefer the feel of the cactus tyres vs mini pins and the wear rate is vastly improved.

Peter_B 09-02-2018 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjm_2008 (Post 984158)
1. You shouldn't need any additional bits to run a shorty lipo.

2. Saddles will fit, but shorty packs are much easier to work with & the car has been designed with those dimensions in mind - including the ability to move fore & aft to fine tune the weight distribution.

3. I'd start the other way round - motor rearwards, battery ahead of it. Understeer is easier to deal with & tune out. You want a car that pushes as you're re-learning (unless you're happy with a squirty car!). I can't remember what's recommended in the manual. go with whatever that says. And don't mess with it until you're able to lap consistently & accurately judge what you want the car to do.

4. gearing seems fine (go smaller if the track is twisty), but run a fan on your ESC if you're not already doing so.

5. don't worry about slipper setting, there's bound to be people willing to help & race control may be able to give you a minute or two on your own on the straight to tweak the adjuster nut.

The tyre choice you've gone for is pretty much the standard now across all 2wd carpet setups regardless of brand. Personally I much prefer the feel of the cactus tyres vs mini pins and the wear rate is vastly improved.

Thanks for the reply.

I thought the belt would get in the way if trying to run a shorty lipo, rearward of the motor, without the conversion kit. I guess I'll know more when I can have a good look at all the parts in the box.

Are there any pictures anywhere that show the various motor and battery positions?

ESC has got a fan, I just need to get some screws to mount it. ESC was second hand and screws are missing.

If I run the 13.5T motor to start with, would you recommend setting up for a gear ratio in the same ball park as the 83/23 combination for the 6.5T?

Stu Dixon 09-02-2018 06:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have a KF2se and its a great little car to run, kit setup is your best starting point and see how you get on from there..

mine is in low grip config as you can see below

Stu Dixon 09-02-2018 06:32 PM

oh and if you click on the link it will show you the KF2's different motor positions..

http://www.neobuggy.net/2015/07/29/s...or-conversion/

Navek668 09-02-2018 07:37 PM

On high grip carpet at MB Models I have it set up with motor as far forward as possible, shocks on front of wishbones and have a foam spacer for the battery so I can move battery forwards or to to the back depending on level of grip, can’t get images onto here but if you pop an email address on pm and I can forward the pics to you if interested.

Peter_B 15-02-2018 10:48 AM

Thanks for the info.

If I could ask another question - what are the suggested spares to have on hand?

Is there anything that typically breaks, wishbones or shock towers for example?

Navek668 15-02-2018 12:42 PM

I would say front and rear wishbones and towers and the top portion of the front housing u4094 is a good starting point, not really broken anything else, but have seen a front axle snap

Peter_B 16-02-2018 07:25 PM

Thanks again. I've ordered up some front and rear wishbones to have on hand as spares.

I also ordered some spare ball cups for the rear turnbuckles. I followed the instructions and screwed them on fully before setting the length. But I over did it with one of them and the turnbuckle end poked through into the ball cup. That cup now binds and pops off easily.

School boy error! I blame being ill whilst building it.

Peter_B 13-04-2018 10:30 AM

Does anybody know if there are any alternative battery holder posts available for the KF2 that use thumb screws instead of body clips?

Navek668 13-04-2018 11:44 AM

You could try the K2 posts depending on battery position, u4764 posts u4765 thumb scre s u4774 alloy thumbscrews have a look on the K2 exploded view on Schumachers website for pics 👍

Peter_B 13-04-2018 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Navek668 (Post 987115)
You could try the K2 posts depending on battery position, u4764 posts u4765 thumb scre s u4774 alloy thumbscrews have a look on the K2 exploded view on Schumachers website for pics 👍

Thanks I hadn't thought of checking other cars. Looks like they should do the job.

mark christopher 13-04-2018 09:15 PM

Get the kc ones you get two sizes

Andyzboy 18-11-2018 05:21 AM

Running 17.5t on my KF2 SE

The medium stiffness front and rear arms are much more resilient to breaking. Included hard compound arms can break easily if you hit them just right. Medium flex lets you get away with a lot more. After tons of abuse the only parts I've broken are wishbones. (local track offers free practice, averaged at least 6 hours of track time per week for 3 months when I got the car)

The shock tower guards do their job very well. A lot of people at my track don't use them but they're worth installing imo. Especially up front, keeps the shocks and tower from grabbing the carpet and after a lot of abuse my tower and shocks look new underneath.

Motor position all the way forward or low grip (one step back) are both very good. Have run both, don't have a favorite, just different. With the car built to box stock setup other than motor in low grip position, it is excellent. I'd recommend to start with that. Great mix of forgiving and aggressive. With the motor all the way forward it can be pretty sensitive to adjustments but pushed harder....but crashed easier :thumbsup: