oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   News (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Lee Martin secures 4WD TQ & Win - AREA 51 GP race (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90683)

jimmy 16-01-2012 12:22 AM

Lee Martin secures 4WD TQ & Win - AREA 51 GP race

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/area51-2012/4wdnews.jpg

Lee Martin took the victory in the 4WD class on the second day of the AREA 51 race this weekend. Lee took the opening three rounds of qualifying with his Tamiya TRF502X to go TQ and pole on the grid for the 3-leg finals.
Darren Bloomfield took the final leg to sit second on the grid with Tom Cockerill third.

Lee took the first let but a collision on the opening lap of the second leg saw Lee Martin on his roof and down to 9th place - eventually finishing second to XFactory X7 prototype of Ellis Stafford who took the leg.
The final leg was another messy one for Lee as Darren Bloomfield took the lead until a mid-track chaotic exchange saw hard-charging Elliott Boots through for the lead and eventual leg win - from 10th on the grid!

The final positions were Lee Martin 1st - Darren Bloomfield 2nd - Elliott Boots 3rd.

The report has been updated during the day but finals and some polishing up and extra content will be added soon!
Check it out here: http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/area51-2012/index.html

Dudders 16-01-2012 10:10 AM

Any more photos Jimmy? Short Course etc?

GRIFF55 16-01-2012 10:21 AM

Nice one Lee! Good win with the 502

jimmy 16-01-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dudders (Post 607885)
Any more photos Jimmy? Short Course etc?

Yeah was too tired to do much last night when I got home - will put it up tonight

Dudders 16-01-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmy (Post 607930)
Yeah was too tired to do much last night when I got home - will put it up tonight

Slacker:woot:

Good to meet up :thumbsup:

5ohTwoX 16-01-2012 01:15 PM

Congratulations on your win Lee! It's nice to see the 502X on top :woot:

DavidAMS 16-01-2012 04:12 PM

re

nice one lee!!!!!!
502x FTW :thumbsup:

bzb 16-01-2012 07:58 PM

f### the trophy, i would take the babes on my lap on the picture, if i ever would be on the podium that is. :drool::wub

chemax92 16-01-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzb (Post 608163)
f### the trophy, i would take the babes on my lap on the picture, if i ever would be on the podium that is. :drool::wub

amen to that!...:wub

Stu 16-01-2012 10:22 PM

Ian Peckett?

jimmy 16-01-2012 10:31 PM

Sometimes I like to throw easter eggs in there stu. :lol:

No - its a reminder to myself to add something in. I've set all 6 videos rendering from the A finals. Thanks VERY much to Steve Pierce for stepping up and using my rather crap-to-use DSLR to video the finals. :thumbsup: Thanks Steve.
Thanks to Tom Cockerill for finding my tripod and bringing it to The Players race next weekend also haha.

mikeyscott 18-01-2012 03:02 PM

Great work as ever Jimmy.

Looking forward to the galleries :thumbsup:

gainsy 18-01-2012 03:15 PM

Did anyone get a video of the short course final?
I was watching the live feed & there was a bit when i was sure a truck was about to land on a marshals head when he got it very wrong on the tabletop!!!
It might have just been the angle of the camera but i would like to see it again as it looked like it missed him by inches

styleone 18-01-2012 04:31 PM

truck mullets?! ;)

There was afew close calls with table top exits, the marshal position was really close to the down ramp with the marshal facing away on a chair, a few guys nearly got a truck or buggy haircut! :D

Well done Lee! If you ever get the chance to watch Lee drive live you will find it hard to take in at first. For a racer who is truly awesome on the track he looks super relaxed on the rostrum, even under crazy pressure! A real pleasure to watch :)

RogerM 18-01-2012 05:18 PM

Actually Stuart I marshalled at both those points and it was fine, the guys laying things out either put lots of consideration in to the positions or got extremely lucky ... I prefer to believe the first one myself.

styleone 18-01-2012 06:04 PM

area 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerM (Post 609068)
Actually Stuart I marshalled at both those points and it was fine, the guys laying things out either put lots of consideration in to the positions or got extremely lucky ... I prefer to believe the first one myself.

I completely agree Roger. It was obvious a lot of effort had been put into the positioning as drivers did not experince many issues with marshal delays, even during some big tangles. I was mearly stating an observation that some of the guys at these positions had cars fly close to them with over shoot jumps of the table top.

Big points go to all who marshalled during the weekend as from what I saw on Saturday, it was smooth and professional duties by everybody, no exceptions :)

Again, well done to all drivers for creating a breath taking race experience, and top marks to the organisers for giving us all a quality experience :)

Well done

Stu 18-01-2012 06:10 PM

I just noticed the DogMilk links, we forgot about doing that :(

TARTMAN 18-01-2012 10:10 PM

would love to see it

Hope some one recored it, for my 3rd place win lol....
IF there is any recordings of the SC races/finals from either days, please post em.... cheers....

Quote:

Originally Posted by gainsy (Post 609011)
I was watching the live feed & there was a bit when i was sure a truck was about to land on a marshals head when he got it very wrong on the tabletop!!!
It might have just been the angle of the camera but i would like to see it again as it looked like it missed him by inches

Dudders 18-01-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gainsy (Post 609011)

Gainsy! You'd be proud! That was me nearly wiping out Ashley Caunt I believe.... Went over his head as he was sat down, skimmed him by 6" or so.... Good job he's little...

TARTMAN 18-01-2012 11:36 PM

LOL

and you stole the 2nd place from me with driving like that!!!!

LOLOL........ wheres the video!!!!:thumbdown:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dudders (Post 609234)
Gainsy! You'd be proud! That was me nearly wiping out Ashley Caunt I believe.... Went over his head as he was sat down, skimmed him by 6" or so.... Good job he's little...