oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Team C Racing (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=189)
-   -   TC02C diff issues (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123946)

dicky14 07-03-2013 10:15 AM

TC02C diff issues

Might be a daft question (usually are), having replaced my diff balls with hpi ceramic items ive noticed the diff slips more than with steel balls, ive used wet and dry on new diff plates and the diff started slipping(this was after running in the diff) i swaped the diff plates over and repeated the process( it lasted 3 races and chewed up the plates) i've since built a new diff using standard parts and so far so good. What have i done wrong? Its not like i'm a novice with this kind of thing.:thumbdown:

Robbiejuk 07-03-2013 01:15 PM

Did you compress the diff spring a few times with a pair of pliers before you put it in?

If you don't you usually end up with a screw that won't tighten any more and a slipping diff.

How are you running your diff in?

dicky14 07-03-2013 01:21 PM

diff screw compressed and i still cant tighten up the screw:bored: and im running the diff in by holding one of the rear wheels and slowly rotating the diff with the throttle trim on the tranny, is this right?

nicVEGAchildJR 07-03-2013 03:01 PM

are your hpi diff balls 2.38mm or 2.4mm ???

IntegraMark 07-03-2013 04:05 PM

what rings are you using?

I used the the B-Fast kit with carbide diff balls. worked good for me when i was running the TC02C

200sx 07-03-2013 09:26 PM

I noticed the bearings in my diff were slightly too wide. Initially they are okay as long as you don't sand the diff rings, but as a groove is formed on the rings, no matter how tight you set the diff it will slip.

Here's what I did. I used a 0.1mm shim on the outdrives beneath the rings.

welshmerlin 07-03-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 200sx (Post 753723)
I noticed the bearings in my diff were slightly too wide. Initially they are okay as long as you don't sand the diff rings, but as a groove is formed on the rings, no matter how tight you set the diff it will slip.

I never thought of that - makes sense. Great tip. You have explained why after grinding the rings we had problems in the past. After changing to new plates the diff worked fine. Didn't know why until now :)

dicky14 14-03-2013 01:18 PM

Having spoken to 200sx last night whilst racing you keepone ball race and put one bronze bush in the centre of the diff, so thats what i will be doing tonight to both cars.:thumbsup:

IntegraMark 14-03-2013 02:26 PM

B-fast pro drivers kit comes with 2 copper shims to put between the outdrives and the diff rings. removes almost all play. That kit alone almost renewed my faith in ball diffs.

Darrin70 14-03-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dicky14 (Post 753511)
Might be a daft question (usually are), having replaced my diff balls with hpi ceramic items ive noticed the diff slips more than with steel balls, ive used wet and dry on new diff plates and the diff started slipping(this was after running in the diff) i swaped the diff plates over and repeated the process( it lasted 3 races and chewed up the plates) i've since built a new diff using standard parts and so far so good. What have i done wrong? Its not like i'm a novice with this kind of thing.:thumbdown:

Just a question, but is your t-nut tabs facing in or out?

mr_g 15-03-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IntegraMark (Post 756046)
B-fast pro drivers kit comes with 2 copper shims to put between the outdrives and the diff rings. removes almost all play. That kit alone almost renewed my faith in ball diffs.

Down here in AUS we use b4 diff plates -inside diameter opened up and HoBao part 21005 (Aluminium Head Gasket.3mm) - inside once again opened up works a treat.

B4 pltes are .8mm and shim is .3 so .1 over stock which removes side play all diffs seem to have. if you feel the diff is a touch tight side play wise just sand down gaskets a touch. .1 copper are also available if you use standad plates.

Diffs are great and last for ages (My last was 7 meets till it needed a rebuild) gaskets can be reused too.

mr_g 15-03-2013 11:49 AM

OOps sorry....

dicky14 15-03-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrin70 (Post 756254)
Just a question, but is your t-nut tabs facing in or out?

T- nut as per kit, facing outwards.

Joe_K 26-03-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 200sx (Post 753723)

Where did you find a shim that will fit between the outdrives and rings? I've looked but can't find them in the right size.

mr_g 28-03-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe_K (Post 760079)
Where did you find a shim that will fit between the outdrives and rings? I've looked but can't find them in the right size.

Try this one H21004 - HYPER 21 BRASS HEAD GASKET 0.1MM you will need to dremel out the centre a bit but will work nicely.

Or use my method with b4 rings and part H 21005 a couple of posts before this one.