oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Team Losi Racing (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   22 4.0 (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186956)

mes 03-03-2017 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daz75 (Post 968613)
There was some take a specific gear diff for the 22 3.0 in another thread so not sure if that would fit here too

The aluminium planetary gear diff should be out any day, part no TLR332067.

/tobys 03-03-2017 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizz (Post 968611)
Really like the look of this - mainly because I use to race Losi all the time back in the day and fancy some nostalgia :) anyone know if a gear diff is available before I put a deposit down?

https://www.rccarshop.co.uk/spares/t...-gear-all-22-p

daz75 03-03-2017 07:16 PM

Thanks for the insights mes not used the laydown on my 3.0 yet want to see what the 4 gear is like before I swap it

daz75 03-03-2017 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by /tobys (Post 968619)

Holy cow £66 :thumbdown:

mes 03-03-2017 07:53 PM

Quote:

Holy cow £66 :thumbdown:
Not a bargain for sure, but I guess machined alminium comes at a price. The Losi RTR gear diff LOSA2954 has been notorious for leaking, but can be improved with other O-rings. The Serpent gear diff is said to be a direct fit and to be a quality item, but also not really cheap and in its early days also had leaking issues. Maybe you can get your hands on a used non-leaking Serpent diff when other TLR drivers switch to the new aluminium one.

mes 03-03-2017 08:01 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the insights mes not used the laydown on my 3.0 yet want to see what the 4 gear is like before I swap it
You're welcome! With a 4-gear gearbox your buggy will shift more weight to the rear when accelerating and to the front when breaking. This is great for increasing forward bite on a slippery track, but not so good when you want to slow down just before entering a sharp turn. Once I switched to 3-gear gearboxes on my YZ-2 and T5M, I did not look back, neither in the dry nor in the wet.

daz75 09-03-2017 05:42 PM

Not much excitement for this then?

mes 09-03-2017 07:14 PM

If you are running on a slippery track regularly and/or prefer to let your car roll rather than brake hard before entering a turn, you might actually like the 4-gear, but if you are looking for more on-power steering and corner speed, I doubt it will help you.
If you are looking for corner speed an are a die-hard TLR/Losi fan, I'd say wait for the 4.0 and don't put too much money into the 3.0 any more. Other than that you could be happy with YZ-2 CA, Schumacher KC or the like right now. I really found test drives helpful in the past, in fact a test ride made me buy the YZ-2 when I was set not to buy a new kit for another half year or so back in the day... :D

mes 29-04-2017 07:11 PM

Some of Horizon Germany's team drivers got their 4.0 kits already and I was lucky to grab the transmitter of one of them today a couple of times and tinker a littlw with the car in the pits. Apart from the springs and gear diff, the 22 initially was box stock. After some adjustments and adding the servo weight and 20 g of sticky weights behind the motor, the car was really great to drive, easy and fast. When the time is ripe for another 2WD, this kit is definitely on my shortlist! :thumbsup:

Cosworth 29-04-2017 07:16 PM

Built one today for a friend who wanted it done but didn't have the time.

My first time building a Losi kit. Goes together nice and looks a good piece of kit. Diff slightly notchy but hopefully that will go after a few runs. Happy days.

Jimmy Whitehall 04-05-2017 10:14 AM

A notchy diff from a 4.0 kit could be due to the bearing not seating correctly on the out-drive.

It seems like there was a bad batch of out-drives as I have heard of multiple people having the same issue...

tyreman 04-05-2017 03:43 PM

It's down to initially overtightning if you run it in the notchyness will go, nothing wrong with the outdrives.

matt 04-05-2017 05:14 PM

I've read on rctech that there was a bad batch of outdrives and they are sorting them out at the mo.

jcb 07-06-2017 05:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Received, built and raced my 22 4.0 over the past weekend.

Thanks to DMS Racing for the super quick shipping.

Seemed to be a pretty straight forward build with no headaches along the way. Worth tapping some of the stiffezel parts with a smidge of black grease, especially the rear wishbones and side pods. Also worth double checking the instructions and whats in the box as there are quite a few tuning parts included in the kit to adjust, trail, toe, kick angle, anti-squat and roll center so it's worth pulling out the parts that suit the track or your driving style from the get go.

During the build I swapped out some of the kit items to improve reliability, strength, reduce weight and well just because they look nicer than the stock part (in my opinion);
JConcepts Fin Titanium Turnbuckles, Mono wheels and 6.5" rear wing,
Exotek allow front camber block,
Avid shock springs and pistons,
RDRP caged thrust race and diff balls

For power I installed a Vampire SR1+ ESC and AB+ V2 7.0 motor and 4600mah 80c shorty pack while a Corally CV-4008 is installed for fast precise steering.

Compared to my previous 22 2.0 the 22 4.0 instantly felt more nimble when it came to direction changes, while there was also plenty of forwards traction on the grass despite using the laydown gearbox.

Does anyone know if the UK team set-up's are uploaded anywhere now-a-days and if so where as I'd be interested to see what is being used where.

daz75 07-06-2017 09:50 PM

Good to see someone post about the new car is there not a big uptake? Front tow looks a bit excessive 😁

jcb 08-06-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daz75 (Post 974045)
Good to see someone post about the new car is there not a big uptake? Front tow looks a bit excessive 😁

I was kind of hoping it might encourage a little more action on the thread.

It's running a degree of toe out, but the photo makes it look like there is much more.

magictorch 10-06-2017 09:51 AM

Just got one, built but not ready for the track yet.

Nice build, infinitely adjustable so plenty for the tinkers to play with, my first proper 2wd since the durango 210

As soon as I have a couple of race days under my belt I will be able to comment on performance but if its anything like my friends 3.0 with laydown it should be very competitive.

Did you set it up as per the manual carpet/astro set up sheet?

/tobys 10-06-2017 11:55 AM

3 Attachment(s)
thought i'd share some pics...

still getting to grips with the setup on mine, not running as well as my 3.0 LD yet - build was good though and the gearbox and shock tower changes are a big step forward.

jcb 12-06-2017 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magictorch (Post 974124)
Just got one, built but not ready for the track yet.

Nice build, infinitely adjustable so plenty for the tinkers to play with, my first proper 2wd since the durango 210

As soon as I have a couple of race days under my belt I will be able to comment on performance but if its anything like my friends 3.0 with laydown it should be very competitive.

Did you set it up as per the manual carpet/astro set up sheet?

I went LRC, shocks forward and lay down gearbox withb standard height diff as my first meeting was on grass.

If I were running on astro I would have automatically raised the diff, +3.5mm rear hubs, hrc front block and shocks forward.

I'll try and post a setup sheet this evening.

jcb 13-06-2017 04:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Grass setup