oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Race Chat (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Removing tyres - Boiling them - How To's (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126598)

jo90 10-04-2013 08:28 AM

Removing tyres - Boiling them - How To's

I need to now start recycling some used rims. I know many use Acetone but I have no where safe to do this with small kids about so ideally I want to boil them off.

So, how to do this ? Of course, boil, but for how long etc etc roughly. Should the water be litterally boiling away on no a very steady high simmer where the water is bubbling ?

Will this affect the rim afterm aking them brittle at all ?

Cheers for help, its appreciated

RobW 10-04-2013 08:56 AM

I started boiling tyres for same reason as you re small children around and found it so effective just carried on even when children now older.

I use an old saucepan and lid as I would not want to eat food prepared in saucepan afterwards due to superglue.

I slice tyres down middle to take insert out and leave whole tyre on as this gives me something to pull on once I've boiled them.

I boil with a lid on for about hour and 15 mins. Tyres then come off really easy. Water needs to be bubbling the whole time so need to put lid on and gradually turn heat down until it is just bubbling and not boiling over, once you have done it once you'll know how high temp you need to leave it on.

You'll need to make sure water does not boil dry - I usually boil a kettle of water about half way through to refill saucepan. I set an alarm as I am usually in garage when I am boiling tyres and once you have the smell of burnt tyres in your kitchen once you'll do the same! I also need to put extractor fan on full and leave a window open otherwise kitchen steams up.

Never had a problem with brittle wheels - I've boiled associated, proline, schumacher, kyosho, Losi wheels.

Rob

jo90 10-04-2013 10:18 AM

Thanks Rob, that answered it all. Plan to boil these on one of those portal stoves so its outdoors..and yeh old saucepan and wont be used for nothing but tyre boiling :)

cheers

Pacman 10-04-2013 11:08 AM

I tried boiling wheels and tires back in the 90's on my Cat 2000 wheels. Unfortunately the wheels shrunk, so haven't tried it since. However modern wheel materials may be different, so I'd advise you try it on your worst condition wheels first.

RichyUK 10-04-2013 11:51 AM

i boil them if i need a speedy removal, if not then i use acetone. I fill up a shot glass of acetone, pop in the middle of an airtight container surrounded by the wheels i need rubber removed from (i cut most of the tyre off and remove inserts first), pop the lid on, then i leave the container out of harms way up on top of a kitchen cupboard. The fumes in the container soften the glue nicely :)

Matt Butcher 10-04-2013 12:39 PM

acetone for me too, soooooo easy :)

Danny Harrison 10-04-2013 12:46 PM

£1 nail varnish remover for me, stick em in a tub, pour a bit over and leave em on the fridge with lid on. 4 hours later they peel off nicely :)

jo90 10-04-2013 02:18 PM

I like the idea of acetone doing this quick, but with kids about and possible smell i need to boil them outdoors

thanks though guys for the replies

cutting42 10-04-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jo90 (Post 764595)
I like the idea of acetone doing this quick, but with kids about and possible smell i need to boil them outdoors

thanks though guys for the replies

I use a sealable sandwich box and get no smell at all. I take the box outside and put the tyres in so the smell does not get inside. The box I use has very tough clips as well and I just keep the acetone in there and on a high shelf out of small peoples reach.

Chequered Flag Racing 10-04-2013 02:51 PM

I use the oven when she's out :woot:

10 to 15 mins on 100c.

Use 'rigger' gloves or similar and peel tyre from rim.

RichyUK 10-04-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutting42 (Post 764601)
I use a sealable sandwich box and get no smell at all. I take the box outside and put the tyres in so the smell does not get inside. The box I use has very tough clips as well and I just keep the acetone in there and on a high shelf out of small peoples reach.

same as. mine is totally airtight, no whiffs of acetone in my kitchen :D

paulc 11-04-2013 05:51 AM

Doe's boiling them have any affect on the tyre i usually use acetone but wanted to try and save some tyres of old rims if possible and acetone makes some compounds go hard so thought about boiling them

Origineelreclamebord 11-04-2013 06:39 AM

I really like boiling, but results depend on how well the glue bond is (what quality glue, if the wheels and tire beads were properly cleaned, etc) - and the glue residue remains to be hard. On the wheel it's not a problem (Screwdriver, Knife, Dremel), but on the tire it is if you want to use it again.

naomiswanson 11-04-2013 09:24 AM

Boiling is one of my basic techniques and it is considered as a best for removing the quality of some tires. But i try to use some acetone because I am going to save some part of my tires.

1rcdad 11-04-2013 09:57 AM

Always boil for 10 minutes then put into iced water for about 5 minutes,tyres fall off rims and glue residue just peels off.

mrspeedy 11-04-2013 10:21 AM

I always boil mine off .. usually around 30 mins in a pan is long enough .. only problem I've found is it can make the rims go out of "round" with some makes ... but I do it anyway :p

Hpi_guy 11-04-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chequered Flag Racing (Post 764608)

10 to 15 mins on 100c.

No no no no :o , when you bake them the glue gives off cyanide, boiling and acetone is the safe way :D

Hpi_guy 11-04-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulc (Post 764772)
Doe's boiling them have any affect on the tyre i usually use acetone but wanted to try and save some tyres of old rims if possible and acetone makes some compounds go hard so thought about boiling them

Nope, boiling does not effect the tyre

Robby 11-04-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chequered Flag Racing (Post 764608)

10 to 15 mins on 100c.

+1 :thumbsup:

AJ Roberts 11-04-2013 09:52 PM

I always boil, I done a set of 1/8th buggy wheels today and had the old tyres off and new ones glued back on the old rims in under an hour ;)