oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   R/C Graphy! (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Joo's paint! (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71772)

styleone 13-07-2011 11:40 PM

shells

Really nice work there mate...keep up the clean designs :thumbsup:

QuackingPlums 14-07-2011 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julianb (Post 508720)
Cheers, here's a few more I dug out... and a bit of warhammer for the boy!

Wow, I only just found this thread and now I finally know who inspired my first attempt at airbrushing! :D

As I mentioned in my post here, I found a photo of that green and yellow Mardave whilst doing a Google search but didn't know who painted it at the time! Thanks for the inspiration matey!

julianb 15-07-2011 02:33 PM

Cheers for the heads up with the waterslide decal stuff. I found some inkjet material in the local ironmongers. I'll knock up the artwork in Illustrator on the Mac, then just print it out. A coat of matt poly and she'll be off around the pond!!!

cheers

J

julianb 15-07-2011 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuackingPlums (Post 526773)
Wow, I only just found this thread and now I finally know who inspired my first attempt at airbrushing! :D

As I mentioned in my post here, I found a photo of that green and yellow Mardave whilst doing a Google search but didn't know who painted it at the time! Thanks for the inspiration matey!

Cool - I prefer your colours!!!!!

;-)

eyeayen 15-07-2011 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julianb (Post 527166)
I'll knock up the artwork in Illustrator on the Mac

That's exactly what I would have done ! I got bored of trying to replicate intricate little parts on scale helicopters when I painted them so I sorted it out that way. I did one mega job and the bloke won everything he entered for a while. Then they changed the rules and said no 'pro' paint jobs so he couldn't enter any more :lol: it was one of the most difficult jobs I'd done because of the complete precision on it.

Post up when you've done it, I'll be interested to see the finished result !

julianb 25-08-2011 11:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another shell almost identical to a previous design. Keep having issues with static after removing mask. Tried wiping down each freshly unmasked area with a cotton bud and denatured alcohol. Sometimes this creates smears tho!

Wondering why it keeps happening. I think humidity. Never used to happen with Fasmask, only RCS (which I do prefer as it goes - it cuts better and is less stretchy than the Fasmask) Just wish I could get to the bottom of it. Nearly wrecked another shell tonight!!!

any ideas?

Ju

jonmiller 26-08-2011 07:14 AM

lookin good buddy :)

the rcs mask grips to the shell alot more which can create static. aswell as static there may be some surface residue from your fingers or the mask.

just come out with rcs body prep, 1 or 2 light mist coats drying off between (only takes a second with heatgun in order for it to evapourate) coats on the exposed surface and yer good to go. works wonders.

U1timate PigDog 26-08-2011 08:18 AM

Looking good with that one :thumbsup:,

as for the static issue, are you sure your not causing the static off your clothing or something?

Its very rare that I experience any serious static problems and I'm also using RCS mask.

I'd be tempted to try jons body prep or this may sound a little crazy but buy a anti static wrist strap and wear it whilst painting, you could discharge the static on the body by touching it with the strap on your wrist and it will prevent you from causing static.

Rebelrc 26-08-2011 08:22 AM

Dust off static marks with soft bristle paint brush before applying next coat

julianb 26-08-2011 10:26 PM

Must be my electric personality !!!!:thumbsup:

Will order some of Jon's prep. See how we go. Need some more paint anyway...

cheers

Ju

GRIFF55 26-08-2011 10:29 PM

Try a tack cloth between colours? Might help?

telboy 27-08-2011 09:05 PM

Yeah, I just wipe down with a cloth when i have to do dark fades with a white/light main colour. Always happened to me, even with fasmask.

Liking the Space Marines! :) Thats where I started off painting.....many years ago! :)

julianb 31-12-2011 02:57 PM

Another...

3 Attachment(s)
Another shell in my lads favourite design and colours.
Got loads to do for club members and haven't painted for a month or two so i thought it best to get my eye back in with one for the boy. No doubt it will be trashed in less than a month...ah well...

eyeayen 31-12-2011 04:05 PM

Very neat, nice work !

julianb 31-12-2011 06:36 PM

Cheers, reasonably pleased with it after blowing the cobwebs away. Some of the pinstriping is a bit wavy, but the static issues seem to be solved - A gentle rub with a Halfords panel wipe after removing each section of mask did the trick. Just got to clean up the glue residue from the window masks and I'll be even happier!

Just got some new colours from RCS - amazing service, in the brush less than 24 hours after ordering!!!

One down, eight to go....

cheers

Ju

julianb 31-12-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonmiller (Post 545317)
lookin good buddy :)

the rcs mask grips to the shell alot more which can create static. aswell as static there may be some surface residue from your fingers or the mask.

just come out with rcs body prep, 1 or 2 light mist coats drying off between (only takes a second with heatgun in order for it to evapourate) coats on the exposed surface and yer good to go. works wonders.

Hi John, is this a clear base - like Auto Air's? Or is it a cleaning product?

Would like to order some - couldn't see it on the website.

cheers

Ju

eyeayen 01-01-2012 06:39 AM

It's not on Jon's website yet. If you email him you can order it that way, can't remember how much it is though ? Sorry.

It's completely transparent, you spray it on. Helps to eliminate that marbling effect static can cause after you remove film or LM and it evens out fades and stuff to make them much smoother.

I don't think transparent base would work in the same way as this as this will lay on perfectly where as the transparent base would still pick up the pattern.

julianb 01-01-2012 02:01 PM

Defo got to try some of that then!

John you about?

Happy New Year

Ju

jonmiller 01-01-2012 06:04 PM

cheerz bud

yes, is a cleaning product and not a trans base type thing.

drop me an email etc mate.

happy new year to you and everyone else on here too.

julianb 02-01-2012 03:02 PM

Another...

4 Attachment(s)
Why is it the simple jobs take the longest. The brief was specific. Eye scorchingly bright, but a simple design to follow previous shells.

Jesus. These fluoro's are transparent!!!! I backed everything really well with white, but at some angles the pink shading is just discernible under the green. Also wasted a load of time adding a brighter yellow edge to the green where it meets the pinstripe - the green just swallowed it up! Always learning!!! I wonder if subtly backing it with a more solid yellow would have held it?

Also had a mare removing the pinstripe masking. Serves me right for being tight with the liquid mask!!!

Shame the pics don't do the colours justice. It is LOUD!

cheers

Ju