oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electrics (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Brushless motor maintenance (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203741)

A_McT 20-07-2019 07:09 AM

Brushless motor maintenance

Hi,

Just looking for people's opinions on cleaning/maintenance of the brushless motors in their race buggies.

Is it case of post-race meeting, pulling the motor out and stripping it down to remove dirt/debris. Then relube and reassemble for the next meeting? Personally this would be my choice in an ideal world, but the rest of life can get in the way!

Also what products do people recommend for this?

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

warhead3000 23-07-2019 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A_McT (Post 1000560)
Hi,

Just looking for people's opinions on cleaning/maintenance of the brushless motors in their race buggies.

Is it case of post-race meeting, pulling the motor out and stripping it down to remove dirt/debris. Then relube and reassemble for the next meeting? Personally this would be my choice in an ideal world, but the rest of life can get in the way!

Also what products do people recommend for this?

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

Hi Buddy

Like you it would be great to know also as I'm just getting back into this sport as well so would be great to know.

Yorkiebar 24-07-2019 12:19 AM

They really don't need that much - depends on the surface you're running though - i.e. if wet and muddy then will obviously need a bit more than usual.

I race outdoor all year and all mine gets is a strip, blow out with the airline, quick clean with some brake cleaner and a check/clean/lube of the bearings (or replace if shot). Think I've done this 3 times in the last 10 months and it's never been that bad at all. Certainly nowt like cleaning the brushes between races like in the bad old days!

mattr 24-07-2019 07:20 AM

Couple of my indoor motors haven't been touched yet in 3 years. Beyond picking the fluff off the shaft and the 30 second blast with a compressor to get the carpet dust off the chassis.
Outdoors they just get a quick blast with a compressor and the bearings checking every 6 months.

A_McT 24-07-2019 06:58 PM

Thanks for the info, sounds like after every race meet is a bit of overkill then. That's good to know as I've not managed that yet!!

I'm a bit sad really as I find a quiet afternoon sat on my own in the garage stripping down and maintaining my buggies really good fun. So I think I'll just have to take the opportunities when I can and that should be enough TLC for them! :thumbsup:

danDanEFC 25-07-2019 07:02 PM

I have never even opened a motor can in the 10 years we have had brushless motors.

warhead3000 25-07-2019 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorkiebar (Post 1000615)
They really don't need that much - depends on the surface you're running though - i.e. if wet and muddy then will obviously need a bit more than usual.

I race outdoor all year and all mine gets is a strip, blow out with the airline, quick clean with some brake cleaner and a check/clean/lube of the bearings (or replace if shot). Think I've done this 3 times in the last 10 months and it's never been that bad at all. Certainly nowt like cleaning the brushes between races like in the bad old days!

Thanks Guys great info to know!!!:thumbsup:

Lee1972 26-07-2019 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danDanEFC (Post 1002482)
I have never even opened a motor can in the 10 years we have had brushless motors.

Ditto mate

bassman7755 06-08-2019 01:48 PM

People maintain their motors ? :confused: