oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electrics (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   sticks / grip beginners (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98340)

RobS101 11-04-2012 11:48 AM

sticks / grip beginners

Afternoon all,

I raced 15 years ago using a conventional stick transmitter, now im looking to get back into RC and when looking on various websites see the majority of beginner priced sets are all the pistol grip type.

Are these easier to control? or as I have raced (allbeit a long time ago) using sticks I will find it very hard to use?

Incidentally, I found my old car, a '93 full carbon YZ-10 in my dads garage a few days ago. Will it be worth much?

sosidge 11-04-2012 02:10 PM

Sticks or wheel is really a personal preference. There is a better selection of wheel radios at a good price though. I know people that have successfully changed from one to the other, and I also know people who couldn't cope with the change.

Your Yokomo might be worth something, there are people who are interested in collecting them. An ad on this site may find a buyer, eBay definitely will.

jim76 11-04-2012 04:32 PM

the best value stick set is the Core Code 2.4gz. Has all the full function of expensive sets, but can be had online for under £80. the basic set with no additional functions is only £40.
You will most likely find it very hard to adapt to a wheel once you are brought up on sticks. Maybe go along to a local club and ask someone if you can try their wheel for a few laps, see how you like it. The steering isn;t usually too bad, it's the throttle on the finger that gets people.

acorn28 11-04-2012 06:01 PM

When I first raced in the mid nineties I used a stick radio. Returned to racing last year and went for a Spektrum wheel handset which I'm getting on great with. Given the length of time you've been away, adapting to a wheel handset shouldn't be difficult.

ianjoyner 11-04-2012 07:43 PM

I hate to say anything that may mean less of us on sticks. But have to admit that coming back after a break that big could be a good time to go with the flow and change to steer wheel.

How long did you race for previously? Are sticks well and truly engrained in you? I raced all through my teens with sticks, I tried a wheel for a few months and went back to sticks because I couldn't get comfortable. I only tried wheel to open up more choice of transmitters.

RobS101 11-04-2012 08:19 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I raced from about 14 till I was 18 all on sticks so it was pretty engrained on me at the time, however im now 32 and not touched a transmitter since I was 18, so I suspect my muscle memory will of vanished by now!

Im operating on quite a tight budget so don't want to have to buy another radio down the line, but the wheel options are a lot more cost effective it seems.

At least the radio tech seems easy enough to understand, this whole brushless motors, ESC's with sensor cables and fans on them and lipo batterys you store in bags is taking some headscratching to work out, I've still not got a clue what a decent but not too expensive ESC and motor would be a good first buy?!

At least the car choice seems relatively easy, got it down to a DEX410 V3 or a Schumacher CAT SX3...