oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Maritime Raceway (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   increased Tyre Wear? (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120860)

s22jgs 30-01-2013 12:23 AM

increased Tyre Wear?

Anyone else noticing this?
i seem to be doing a set of rears a night at the moment.

bomber 30-01-2013 12:27 AM

Yes the layout is very hard on he rears.

I think Colin has roughened the surface :lol:

Maritime 30-01-2013 07:02 AM

Hi Steve

As said must be the lay out and we have not done anything than change the track lay out.

Ian Knight

s22jgs 30-01-2013 12:22 PM

What other feedback have you had on carpeting the whole venue Ian?

I know when we used to race at west berks which was all carpet, tyres worked from the outset, and stayed working until you pretty much wore them through to the insert.

I had one set of rears last me 6 weekend rounds and 2 full practice days

AK.customz 30-01-2013 02:09 PM

Try a harder compound of tyre if there wearing to fast for you unfortunately the faster people go the more the tyres wear thats racing its much worse in touring cars:)

discostu 30-01-2013 02:22 PM

I think the tyre wear is no different you are probably wearing them out faster buy wheel spinning to much sort that out and the tyres will last longer.

If not use mini spikes they will last longer but are not as fast I've ran blue mini spikes on the 4wd in the past they also work well.

To be honest the current layout has more carpet on the hard excdkerstion points than both previous layouts.

Stu

AK.customz 30-01-2013 02:41 PM

+1^:lol:

s22jgs 30-01-2013 02:42 PM

im in no way complaining. Just interested in others views after Ian asked me and others about views on carpeting the whole track.
i found that on original first layout i could get 3 or 4 nights from a set whereas now once scrubbed in in getting one night. That said they layout is so much better now.

its not wheelspin Stu, im probably the least throttle happy person i know, i don't push the car

Burty248 30-01-2013 03:17 PM

i havent noticed a increase in tyre wear but then again im not really pushing the car to its limit.

As for carpeting the whole surface i kinda enjoy the fact that going offline on the old floorboards and getting my pins covered in crap just adds to the challenge of driving on a multi surface track. if it was all carpet i think that a lot of the more challenging parts of the track would be gone and there could be just too much grip everywhere.

bomber 30-01-2013 03:38 PM

I do agree it is a challenge to drive on and fun but the tyres can be a pain, mini pins take about 10mins to bed in so you either need a bedded in set ready to go or you have to put a new set on every Tuesday bed in on practice so your guaranteed to have good tyres all night

s22jgs 30-01-2013 04:00 PM

the multi surface track is good and i wouldn't want to see multi surface disappear. I do agree with bomber though, if you put a new set of rubber on first your first round of qualifying, they don't come good until the finals. You then get a bit of practice and 4 runs the week after and they are shot. The following week you are back to square one.

Ill do what i need to do to go racing, so im planning on running 4 or 5 sets of rears at one time so i can give each a 5 minute scrub each week in practice and then once the cycle is running ill have good rubber each week for the racing.

bomber 30-01-2013 04:05 PM

Yes that's my plan, just ordered 5 sets of rears so I can scrub them all in

discostu 30-01-2013 07:07 PM

Or you could just run a long practice. Like maybe a 10 min run

There are upsides and down sides to the track surface as most people here have touched on we either carpet astro the whole lot and the tyres work from the outset but loose the multi surface aspect

Or we leave as is and have to scrub tyres

Only time will tell I'm pretty sure out feirless race directed Ian is taking all comments on bored and no dought the majority correct decision will be made.

Stu

LD RACE-TECH 31-01-2013 08:55 PM

Its racing and tyres will wear thats what happens in any form of racing. The venue is great and nothing about it needs changing. Well done to the organisers.