oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   1/18th & Micro stuff (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Help with FTX Blaze (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6785)

dbizzle5 10-12-2007 04:24 PM

Help with FTX Blaze

I have just bought one of these and was wanting some advice on what I need to upgrade? I bought the ARTR version so have only got the kit motor. I am using a Nosram Dominator Evolution as a speedo in it and a good fast futaba servo. What essential upgrades for the car do I need and what motor should I be looking at? Also what wire and connectors do everyone use? Ive put deans connectors on but the wires Im using are just the standard thickness that you get with any normal speedo and seem a little excessive! Do people use thinner wires at all?

Lots of questions!!!! Awaiting answers!!

Ta!

AmiSMB 10-12-2007 04:43 PM

I got the ARTR as well. I immediateley took the kit out of my helicopter so it now has the following brushless Hacker B20-15L and a Schulze Future-11.20e ESC. For battery pack I run a 3S 910mah Li-poly pack which gives it alot of speed and is very light in weight. As for the car I purchased alloy knuckles, Steel CVD's, Ball diffs for front and rear and steering link turnbuckles. I got a selection of spur gears and made a modification to the way the shocks mount onto the towers as this is quite weak but with some long 2.0mm screws the job was done. Once I had done this the car is fast and reliable.

Chris Green 10-12-2007 04:48 PM

I'd say the essential upgrades would be...

1. Ball Diff. At least one in the rear, as if / when you land on throttle, the gear diff will give up.

2. Steel Driveshafts all round. The FTX ones are best, and these come with steel outdrives for the geared diff too. If you keep the kit diff in the front, make sure these are fitted.

3. new shocks. Either Mini-T 3 Racing ones, or FTX Pro Alloy bodies shocks. If you use the FTX shocks, a lot of people use the kit silver shock shafts, and not the hardened gold ones that come in the kit. (The hardened ones are brittle).

4. FTX Alloy front knuckes or FTX Pillow Ball Coversion kit. I wouldn't bother with any other alloy knuckles, such as 3 racing or GPM. The FTX ones are best.
However, the PBS conversion is pretty strong, and very popular at the moment. Its only £16 for a conversion kit. FTX alloy knuckles are about £25.
If you are on a budget, I've got a set of 2nd hand FTX alloy knuckes for sale.

5. foam tyres, assuming you are running indoors?. The kit tyres offer good grip, but will only last about 5 rounds if you are lucky. Gecko foams are popular at the moment. I run them. They are cheap too.

6. Motor - FTX Pro 32000 rpm motor is pretty popular. The kit motor can be competitive though, especially if you advance the timing.

14g is a bit thick for wiring, but its alright, it makes the cell pack a little bit too tight in the battery tray. 16g wires would be better. Lighter too! Deans are the most popular connectors by far.

Hope this helps.

dbizzle5 11-12-2007 04:08 PM

Thanks for the advice Chris!

Where can I buy all this from? What are the best online shops that stock micro stuff?

ta

c0sie 11-12-2007 04:10 PM

Speak to Keith at Microtech. Give him a ring, hes a great bloke and enjoys the micros :)