oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electrics (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Servo centre point keeps changing (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194760)

TheBinarySheep 11-01-2018 01:57 PM

Servo centre point keeps changing

I'm experiencing some steering issues since I replaced a cheap 120a ESC with a SkyRC Toro 120 ECU, I don't know if the ESC is the problem or whether it's a coincidence.

I noticed the problem when I turned everything on and the centre point of the servo had the wheels pointing all the way to the left. I thought it was odd, so I removed the steering arm from the servo and connected back on with the servo in it's central position. All worked fine for 5 minutes or so when next time the same happened, but this time the centre point had the steering pointing all the way to the left, again, I fixed the issue but it just keeps happening for no reason at all. At one point I thought it was fixed, picked the buggy up and as I did I saw the wheels point all the way to the left again, all on their own with no input, and it's stuck like that.

I've placed marks on the servo to confirm that the steering arm isn't slipping, and it's not, it's the actual servo. The servo isn't that old and is an Alturn metal gear servo that I've not had any issues with until now.

My radio gear is a cheap FlySky FS-GT3B, which again could also be a cause of the problem, but I'm not sure since I've had no issues with it previously.

If I turn the ESC on, without having the transmitter on, then the steering points all the way to the right, but doesn't straighten up when you turn the transmitter on, so it's like the centre position on the servo ends up being whatever it defaults to when the power is switched on.

Has anyone had a similar problem? any ideas? Could it simply be that the FlySky radio gear isn't compatible with the SkyRC ESC?

TheBinarySheep 11-01-2018 10:08 PM

I've plugged in an old servo, and this too is experiencing the same issue so it's not a server related problem.

Is is possible that the ESC is at fault?

mattr 12-01-2018 07:52 AM

ESC, no. Unlikely. All that does is provide power to the receiver. Unless it's providing massively the wrong amount of power. Which would probably blow the receiver anyway.

It's more likely that the receiver or transmitter has a fault.

You have got it all plugged in correctly and re-zeroed since fitting the new ESC haven't you?
It shouldn't make a difference, but it often does.

TheBinarySheep 12-01-2018 09:42 AM

Hi Matt,

Yep, I've re-centred everything 3 or 4 times.

I've dug out the old speed controller this morning and re-soldered all of the wires, and even with that ESC in place the problem still occurs. So it's not the ESC, it's not the servo, only leaves the transmitter/receiver.

I have also noticed that when I press 'enter' on the transmitter it's no longer taking me into the menu, so I think there's an issue with the transmitter. I only bought it last August and I've only used it for 7 or so race weekends, so I'm in contact with the seller now to see about getting a replacement.