oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   The PlayGround (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Top Gear Disappointing?? (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89015)

bodgit 28-12-2011 10:06 PM

Top Gear Disappointing??

I have looked forwards to this as the highlight of christmas television but felt it was all too same old same old. Nothing really funny about it apart from May running out of platform chasing the train.
The mini getting its front end ripped off was so staged with hammond pretending not to notice.
All the cars upgraded for the climb up the mountains but the Allegro went up as standard.
Top gear have run out of ideas, it was for me a waste of 90 minutes.

axeman 28-12-2011 10:15 PM

yes with you there!!!!
I just didn't get it!!
the show had no direction and no point....

Can't believe i'm saying this as I love topgear

paulc 28-12-2011 10:23 PM

Yeah agree dissapointing :thumbdown:

poopers 28-12-2011 10:40 PM

That crap made Ice Road Truckers look like an Open University programme.

I gave up after about 20 mins, it’s the same stuff constantly rehashed these days. Been looking forward to it all day too.:cry:

Pops 29-12-2011 12:13 AM

Agreed...I knew it was going to be typical top gear but expected them to get better at being crap not worse..The only bit that looked real was when the lorry hit Clarkson and he being spineless with the driver..Proper reality tv:lol:

SDARCY118 29-12-2011 01:14 AM

i have come to the conclusion..this episode wasn't firing on all cylinders..lets just hope everything sort it self out for the sake of tv lol

SlowOne 01-01-2012 09:20 PM

Been like that for ages, I could write the scripts. Like all entertainment shows, they eventually flog their format to death, and lose viewers. Which, all in all, means that there are no motoring programmes left on TV - somewhat shortchanges the 27m people that drive !

sparrow.2 01-01-2012 09:26 PM

I watched the India special this weekend and was horrified at the awfulness. The one where they went through Africa was great, th one through Vietnam on bikes was brilliant but his was just crap. Bad jokes, the three of them not invested and just plain bad allround.

Very dissapointing and a real shame...

Spoolio 01-01-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowOne (Post 601453)
Been like that for ages, I could write the scripts. Like all entertainment shows, they eventually flog their format to death, and lose viewers. Which, all in all, means that there are no motoring programmes left on TV - somewhat shortchanges the 27m people that drive !

They're not interested anymore and it comes across in spades. Sadly they've all got complacent and lazy. The format needs another reboot. End of. And anyway, it hasn't really been a motoring programme for years, it's been an entertainment programme with some cars in it.

The current format was quite refreshing (once it found its feet after a couple of shaky years) particularly after the staleness of William Woollard linking segments on radial tyres and the "new" FWD Cavalier whilst reading a script that seemed to be clipped to his shoes*. However, as has been said its now been flogged to death, theres only so many ways you can send an old man down a mountainside in a bath on wheels (oh hang on, that was another BBC program that they took out behind the barn and shot).

* those old enough to remember it go on you know it's true, the bloke was always looking down at his feet before he did his lines. There's probably clips on YouTube to prove it.

eyeayen 02-01-2012 10:48 AM

Someone should send them a link to this thread so they know, especially Slowone, I'd put your writing skills forward mate, you might land yourself a job !

If no one tells them and we just post it on forums they won't know !

http://www.topgear.com/uk/contact-us

steveproracing 02-01-2012 10:52 AM

Blasphemy. Thou shalt love top gear!!!

nivek 02-01-2012 04:07 PM

top ****

so predictable.
whot a waste of time..........

lsdevey 02-01-2012 04:28 PM

top gear

toooo long in the tooth now needs a good revamp :thumbdown:

Richard Lowe 02-01-2012 04:31 PM

It's so staged now it's not funny at all, the whole 'look how useless we are' thing wasn't funny to begin with and it's only getting worse :(

The part where they wired May's horn to the brake lights was pretty funny though :lol:

pugboy 02-01-2012 05:55 PM

Like many I was looking forward to this but I agree it was the most disappointing of the 'specials' so far. I think they need to get the balance right, it all is so predictable and the fakeness, especially from Hammond, is just annoying. IMO Clarkson and May are both excellent presenters but the whole show needs a revamp as the good episodes (and there have been some great ones in the past) are getting rarer. I think Jonny from Fifth Gear should swap, and maybe get Vicky, or Sabine Schmidt.

Some say... Top Gear is too much same old same old these days, come on Beeb get some new ideas!

Chequered Flag Racing 02-01-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Lowe (Post 601694)

The part where they wired May's horn to the brake lights was pretty funny though :lol:

Best bit for me :thumbsup:, forget the rest :thumbdown:

colmo 02-01-2012 07:16 PM

My 1-2-3 is the Botswana, Polar and Vietnam specials, with the South American one as an honourable mention.

The common factor was that in all of them, the presenters were pushed out of their comfort zone - it got pretty tough at times. If you recall the 24 hour race they competed in with the BMW, that was good for the same reason.

There was none of that in the India special. It all looked a bit half-arsed and lazy.

Some new blood would help.

cigbunt 02-01-2012 07:23 PM

poo!

best thing about it was Hammond's mini! shame it got wrecked

Robocop 02-01-2012 07:28 PM

Yes i too was looking forward to this but to me only funny part was when the train split the banners in half.
Polar one to me was the best,then vietnam out of there comfort zone on bikes,even if the support vehicles are close by.

pugboy 02-01-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cigbunt (Post 601777)
poo!

best thing about it was Hammond's mini! shame it got wrecked

My thoughts exactly, I'm not a 'mini man' but it looked an absolute minter and somebody would have loved to have that car. Why not use cars that are at the end of their lives than destroy nice examples...

And agree, some of the other specials were excellent but this was piss poor IMO. It's annoying cause they can make brilliant and informative things too (the 24 hour in the diesel beemer, that article on Senna by Clarkson), both really good, mixed up with a bit of silliness, just getting the balance right.