oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Race Chat (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   ***SPAM Radio Control Free Gift Warning*** (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19065)

DaveG28 06-02-2009 10:38 PM

***SPAM Radio Control Free Gift Warning***

All,

Receved an email earlier on tonight saying I had won a free gift of a Cyclone TC kit, this was from a demonpowerproducts.com

PLEASE BEWARE, demon power products use .co.uk, not com. I have communicated with the actual shop and IT IS NOT THEM. They think whoever it is is using some old database. .com domain is still under constructon so no idea who this is. However as part of the gist they are asking for a utility bill to be scanned and sent to them. I can only assume this is SPAM and an attempt to get addresses, so thought I would pass this on.

Please note, it is NOT DEMON POWER PRODUCTS doing this, don't hold this against them, I have always found them great to deal with, this is some separate group of people somehow. Demon have said its ok for me to post on here a warning, in case anyone else is receiving similar emails!!

May be worth postig here if you do, to see if this is a widespread issue.

Thanks,

Dave

warped 06-02-2009 10:53 PM

No, I don't think it is an attempt to get addresses.

I received that email, and it contained my address and phone number!

Needless to say not impressed wih Demon, and the security of their servers.

Rich D 06-02-2009 11:00 PM

Likewise !!!!!!!!! :thumbdown::mad:

great service as a shop but this is dire - i just got the same email message offering me a free Cyclone Tourer !

Assumed it was dodgy for the above reasons but i was going to ring them tomorrow - thankyou for the heads up Dave

More Scam than spam but im unsure as to what the objective is ? They already have an address, how would a utility bill help them scam me ? Or is it someone trying to harm their sales by making people lose confidence in the security of their servers ?

Decal Designs 06-02-2009 11:09 PM

Just received the same email.

Kev

DaveG28 06-02-2009 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich D (Post 205890)
Likewise !!!!!!!!! :thumbdown::mad:

great service as a shop but this is dire - i just got the same email message offering me a free Cyclone Tourer !

Assumed it was dodgy for the above reasons but i was going to ring them tomorrow - thankyou for the heads up Dave

More Scam than spam but im unsure as to what the objective is ? They already have an address, how would a utility bill help them scam me ? Or is it someone trying to harm their sales by making people lose confidence in the security of their servers ?

Hmm, I wondered that, but they didn't have the first line of my address, did they have yours? In fact, the address info they had for me can be got simply from postcode, but if the first line is missing maybe they ONLY had postcode?

What I wondered is, some places use utility bills as proof of address, so maybe they are after them for this reason.

In fact, where I used to work, mobile phones, does just that.... the worrying thing is do they have card details? Can't remember if I use Paypal with them!?

Also, wouldn't specifically have a go at Demon for using bad servers, I mean Amazon and otherplaces have been got, I am not sure what they can do really!

The thing pissing me off is I need to check all my CC's in case those details have got out.

Dave

Decal Designs 06-02-2009 11:20 PM

Not only did it have my correct full address, but my mobile phone number as well. :mad:
Nick just sent me an email confirming that it was spam, but the web address if you go to it using the demon-powerproducts.com does get redirected to the genuine demon website.

Kev

dave g 06-02-2009 11:22 PM

sounds like someone has gotten hold of their database then..not very clever :(

DaveG28 06-02-2009 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decal Designs (Post 205899)
Not only did it have my correct full address, but my mobile phone number as well. :mad:
Nick just sent me an email confirming that it was spam, but the web address if you go to it using the demon-powerproducts.com does get redirected to the genuine demon website.

Kev

Hmm, maybe its an attack on Demon? Who know's, but its a royal pain in the Ass. Still, can happen to any site, didn;t Oople get taken over by Al Qaieda a couple of times a while ago???

matt 06-02-2009 11:24 PM

I've just got one aswell with my full address and number.
This is the Email

Congratulations!

Here are the details for your free gift at demonpowerproducts.co.uk:
--------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Matthew Barton

Address: ********

GIFT: Hot Bodies 67700 Cyclone TC Competition Touring Car Chassis NEW

Postage: £ 0.00
Grand Total: £ 0.00
For security reasons you must provide us a clear scanned/photo copy of the utility bill.
Please send it via email to: security@demon-powerproducts.com and we will dispatch your gift tomorrow!

Kind regards,
Andrew Phelps
Demon Power Products

I have edit my address.

dave g 06-02-2009 11:25 PM

difference is oople dont keep your personal details on file..

DaveG28 06-02-2009 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave g (Post 205907)
difference is oople dont keep your personal details on file..

Yeah I know its different, but people like Amazon get hit too. I know cos my folks cards got don as part of that one!

Shame its a Friday night, but next working day (Mon) I'll ring the security guy at my old mobile phone place, find out if online/copied utility bills are accepted by anyone as proof of address?

craigosh 06-02-2009 11:30 PM

If you Whois the demon-powerproducts.com it's registered to someone in Kings Lynn apparently, and there is a phone number listed, maybe we should all call them and have words !!!

I just got the mail by the way, had my number and address.

dave g 06-02-2009 11:31 PM

well lets hope no one gets stung for anything,weird i was on demons site earlier going to order some o rings and stuff and thought sod it i will leave it while in the morning :)

never know someone might have ordered them for me lol

dave

Rich D 06-02-2009 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave g (Post 205913)
well lets hope no one gets stung for anything,weird i was on demons site earlier going to order some o rings and stuff and thought sod it i will leave it while in the morning :)

never know someone might have ordered them for me lol

dave

Yes Dave they had my FULL address phone number the lot. If the tw*t wants to ring me for a chat over a game of baseball then im all ears. I shouldnt think it would be too tricky to find out who registered the domain name.

jono83 06-02-2009 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich D (Post 205917)
Yes Dave they had my FULL address phone number the lot. If the tw*t wants to ring me for a chat over a game of baseball then im all ears. I shouldnt think it would be too tricky to find out who registered the domain name.

I had the email to. i was also thinkng it shouldnt to hard to find where the doman is registered.

Chrislong 06-02-2009 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich D (Post 205917)
I shouldnt think it would be too tricky to find out who registered the domain name.

Lets do it. I haven't been emailed but it looks like plenty have, publish their details on here in full - someone might follow them up, in full (and then some) ;)

craigosh 06-02-2009 11:45 PM

I looked it up and the owner is apparently in Kings Lynn and there is a number, just called it and no answer, will try again tomorrow!! there is also an email but i fancy giving someone some verbal abuse!!!

Rich D 06-02-2009 11:48 PM

LOL we have our own Hercule Poirot - good work dude ! :lol:

jono83 06-02-2009 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigosh (Post 205929)
I looked it up and the owner is apparently in Kings Lynn and there is a number, just called it and no answer, will try again tomorrow!! there is also an email but i fancy giving someone some verbal abuse!!!

i think you should publish the phone number on here

craigosh 06-02-2009 11:52 PM

Lol i was on it straight away when i got the email..
I was bemused by it going to Demons site, and even more bemused by the apparent registered date being tomorrow!!
I would post the number but want to confirm its not some innocent persons first. There is an address as well which will be added to my shit list that are getting letters this week!