oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electrics (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Lipos, how to get approval. (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144862)

andy110m 05-02-2014 08:07 PM

Lipos, how to get approval.

Anyone know what the procedure is to get lipos approved on the BRCA list?

I've heard it costs £40?

I've been talking with a few people about putting a few quid in each to get lower cost lipos approved. It'll save us all money in the long run over having to buy the much higher cost big brand cells.

I just don't know where to start.

neiloliver 05-02-2014 08:21 PM

You need to contact Paul Worsley. Paul's contact details are in the BRCA handbook.

Neil

Northy 05-02-2014 08:21 PM

Read this:

http://www.brca.org/content/electric-board/1396

and this:

http://www.brca.org/content/battery-...procedure/1399

G

beale 05-02-2014 08:22 PM

I'm sure you have to be an importer and that's the point as long as there are uk sellers and after sales service the addition may only be £40
I could be very wrong but sure I read it somewhere

grimidol 05-02-2014 09:12 PM

i looked at a few of the new shorty packs and some no one sells in the uk lol.

Cremegg 07-02-2014 09:57 AM

id love to do this too

get the Turnigy Nanotechs Saddle/shorty packs approved

very popular and cheap too

shame these cant be used a regionals/nationals though

blue_pinky 07-02-2014 10:37 AM

It's not the money that is the issue...it's all supporting information and manufacturing data that you won't be able to deal with!

Part of the process is to get some base line safety, quality control and responsibility in place for a technology that has some degree of volatility to it.

So unless you want to start digging around with the manufacturers and how they make the cheap cells...and then take responsibility for them in the long term...you really have no hope!

Product certification in all industries is an absolute mine field...although this one will be relatively simple compared to a lot of other consumer/medical/industrial standards, you really won't want to go there! There is a reason cheap cells aren't on that list...and are cheap! ;)

Dan Pickard 07-02-2014 10:42 AM

Why are they (nano tech cells) ROAR approved then?

mark christopher 07-02-2014 12:26 PM

As the distributor/submitter your also answerable to any safety issues that arise from the product.

DCM 07-02-2014 01:08 PM

Don't forget, public liability to...

MattW 07-02-2014 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Pickard (Post 836308)
Why are they (nano tech cells) ROAR approved then?

Ask the UK distributor..........

It's not a secret process, all of the info is on the web page, if the UK distributor wanted them to be on the BRCA lists they could follow that process.

luniemiester 07-02-2014 04:55 PM

Or alternatively you can put a proposal in at the AGM to do maybe the following - remember if you propose it and it gets to the vote you can change the rules

1) ROAR approved batteries to be automatically allowed on the approved list as last time I checked its the same process as BRCA regarding dimensions, case etc
And if the Americans can approve based on their ideals then why shouldn't the rest of the IFMAR blocks accept automatically?

2) vote out the use of batteries from the BRCA list only and insist on hard case cells only

Personally I much prefer my nano techs over any of my BRCA approved batteries - they are cheaper, perform at least as good if not better, balance well and don't seem to lose any performance over a run compared to my others.

DynaMight 07-02-2014 05:06 PM

Not sure why some people instantly think that if something is cheap it means its an inferior product. It's fairly well known that bigger brand companies charge more for items (in all areas of business)

I'm not going to pretend I know how the BRCA add batteries to the list, but imo just because they're not on the list, it doesnt make them dangerous. If you look around most club meets, you'll probably see more Turnigy than anything else. If they kept blowing up or didnt last, people wouldnt bother with them. If they were on the list, then you'd probably see even more than you currently see!

Alan Reeves 07-02-2014 05:10 PM

No reason nanotech shouldn't be on that list. I see far more of these than any other battery around here.
But after a few years of them already being widely used I suspect there is more to it than meets the eye...

DrPaul 07-02-2014 06:01 PM

Luniemiester statements are right. If you want to change the rules of the BRCA then the membership will need to get behind this, put a proposal together for the AGM and vote with their feet, attend the next BRCA AGM and cast their votes.

To stir up a hornets nest many of the BRCA rules are out dated but unless the membership puts together some proposals and get of their backsides to vote the in nothing will change.

Cheaper than recognised brands does NOT equal poor quality. I deal with a number of electronics and lipo suppliers in the far east and many of the non approved lipos have exactly the same lipo inside as the one on the BRCA/ROAR approved lists and the same goes for speedos and motors but for many suppliers who are just interested in the fun/basher market they are not going to pay to have their product on the approved lists.

Hardcased lipos charged in a charging sack should be more than sufficient for regional events as should commercially available motors and speedo. The BRCA retain the right to inspect anyone equipment if anyone is suspected of cheating so there are rules in place should they be needed.

More cost effective racing should be encouraged in these austere times and cheaper equipment is a major factor for bringing new people into our sport as any returning racer with bear testament to. You speak to any racer coming out of retirement and they cant believe the prices compared to the days of nicads and brushed motors!

If you want to change the rules you need to get the membership to change them from within.

mattr 07-02-2014 06:02 PM

TBH, with such a limited pool of actual lipo manufacturers, as opposed to "lipo labellers", I'd not be in the slightest bit surprised if the actual nasty bit of the battery isn't already approved under half a dozen or more other names already.

andys 07-02-2014 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattr (Post 836404)
TBH, with such a limited pool of actual lipo manufacturers, as opposed to "lipo labellers", I'd not be in the slightest bit surprised if the actual nasty bit of the battery isn't already approved under half a dozen or more other names already.

Agreed.
When lipos first were introduced many companies just slapped a sticker on Intellect packs and doubled the price....

Maybe the thing to do is knock up some 'Reedy' or similar stickers and pop them on our Turnigy cells - it's just what various companies did to us - but in reverse :)

Mike Haswell 07-02-2014 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Reeves (Post 836394)
No reason nanotech shouldn't be on that list. I see far more of these than any other battery around here.
But after a few years of them already being widely used I suspect there is more to it than meets the eye...

Unlike the US distributor, the UK distributor has chosen not to submit any batteries for approval -Nothing more than that!

If you want them on the list, go badger the distributor as they are the ones not doing their job. But it is too late for this year's 2S list.

mark christopher 07-02-2014 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Reeves (Post 836394)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Haswell (Post 836433)
Unlike the US distributor, the UK distributor has chosen not to submit any batteries for approval -Nothing more than that!

If you want them on the list, go badger the distributor as they are the ones not doing their job. But it is too late for this year's 2S list.

they have been asked too by some people in the know and declined to put them forward.

andy110m 08-02-2014 09:18 AM

We'll need to get this sorted at the next AGM.

They have been approved by one of the three IFMAR Blocks, ROAR, and in my mind, a higher authority than the BRCA in global terms. So surely, if its good enough for them, its good enough for us.