oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Schumacher (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   K1 AERO Shorty mod (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145747)

Carlos69 19-02-2014 05:01 AM

K1 AERO Shorty mod

1 Attachment(s)
If you want to run a shorty in your Aero read on....
You'll need ...
a KF shorty conversion kit
A DB01 belt (123t)
3 x 5x8x2.5 bearings + shims
A Dremel with a cutting disk & needle file (or a milling machine)
Carefully grind 2 comers off the square faced bearing tensioner mount
so that it will slide down the extra mm. Place smaller diameter bearings on, you may want to shim the .5mm difference with the 3 narrower bearings.
Assemble with Durga belt, grind the relevant notches into the side
guards for the shorty retaining brackets ... done !

knighthawk 19-02-2014 09:14 AM

Just a question, but will the KF Shorty Conversion not fit if you get the lower half of the gearbox of the KF to ?

Carlos69 20-02-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knighthawk (Post 839196)
Just a question, but will the KF Shorty Conversion not fit if you get the lower half of the gearbox of the KF to ?

Not sure .... do they both (KF&Aero lower rear diff halves) have the same part #'s ? Even if they are the same; the KF shorty conversion kit isn't a direct fit, as the KF motormount/spur assembly is positioned further to the rear than the Aero/K1 thus uses a shorter belt (117t)

Carlos69 01-03-2014 12:05 AM

300+ views ... Anyone tried this mod yet ? I haven't had the time to test it thoroughly due to work & weather :(
Interested to hear any feedback ...
Cheers
Carl

Miho 28-05-2014 09:14 AM

I have tried this with 5x8x2.5 bearing and shims, with the same dbo1 belt.I done one race meet it seems to be holding up ok.

Carlos69 28-05-2014 11:55 AM

Good to hear yours has worked out, Yeah mine has been holding up pretty good too ... good way to slim down this buggy to a respectable weight. Did you mod the rear pulley & adapt the side guards to fit the shorty brackets ok ? Got a pic ?
Cheers

Miho 28-05-2014 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlos69 (Post 859644)
Good to hear yours has worked out, Yeah mine has been holding up pretty good too ... good way to slim down this buggy to a respectable weight. Did you mod the rear pulley & adapt the side guards to fit the shorty brackets ok ? Got a pic ?
Cheers

I did mod the rear pulley the shorty bracket fit, this is my first time on the forum from Australia. I will try to get a picture on here.

wrighty 01-07-2014 07:51 AM

has anyone got a part number for the db01 belt

KBRacing 01-07-2014 10:32 AM

:confused: What is the advantage of running with a short pack in the rear, on a K1 Aero ....???

P.s. part number.: OP-1140

wrighty 01-07-2014 03:39 PM

dont know at the momet however a shorty is lighter that saddles

wrighty 13-07-2014 03:55 PM

ran today using the shorty pack found the car was a lot more agile and very stable it didnt lose any rear grip the only changes to setup where a longer rear camber link and i droped down the spring rate to 2.0lb.

in rd 1 i ran saddles and track was damp rd2 i ran shorty and lap times where pretty much the same however the track was very wet and greasey

in flight the car felt more stable and also it seamed to be a lot faster out of the corners

Thomas B 06-03-2015 08:39 PM

Anyone still driving this mod? Better then sadlepack?

Carlos69 07-03-2015 04:07 PM

I still have mine in, although I haven't had alot of track time to test it
(have been a bit of a non active participant in rc for about the last year or so)
and nor can I compare with saddle setup as I went straight to the shorty config.
Apart from the obvious; weight saving is the only input I can give, plus possibility some additional rotation depending where the shorty is, ie forwards to centralize weight.

wrighty 12-03-2015 09:28 PM

I've ran it quite abit but always go back to saddles . I'm not sure the weight saving is any advantage and found in incidences it made the do funny things I've run it with alloy carbon and s1 chassis ball and gear diffs and both big bore and small bore shocks and always end up going back to saddles
I'm in the process of putting together a different layout moving the center trans more rearward and placing the shortly in front of the motor

Carlos69 12-03-2015 09:50 PM

Sounds interesting... please let us know your findings 👍

Dave Dodd 07-04-2016 03:19 PM

ive recently done this mod to my k1 (cheaper than buying more brca saddles).

parts used:
kf lower diff mounts
db01 belt
cougar sv front axle (used as a tensioner shaft) kf tensioner would have worked but didnt have a spare one.
rc10 front wheels flange bearings (for tensioner) these are a smaller diameter than the std ones and allows the belt to be level between tensioners, allowing the shorty to placed better for weight distribution. (i had it forward)
some shims

no dremaling needed. :D

raced at robinhood raceway last sunday and was awesome :D

knighthawk 07-04-2016 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Dodd (Post 945596)
ive recently done this mod to my k1 (cheaper than buying more brca saddles).

parts used:
kf lower diff mounts
db01 belt
cougar sv front axle (used as a tensioner shaft) kf tensioner would have worked but didnt have a spare one.
rc10 front wheels flange bearings (for tensioner) these are a smaller diameter than the std ones and allows the belt to be level between tensioners, allowing the shorty to placed better for weight distribution. (i had it forward)
some shims

no dremaling needed. :D

raced at robinhood raceway last sunday and was awesome :D

Are there any pics of your car ?

Dkfream 07-04-2016 09:22 PM

My mate has just done a shorty mod on his k1 aero and it's perfect, all you need is a belt and tensioner shaft/bearings and that's it, no need to replace anything else, will get the part numbers from him and post in here for you

Dave Dodd 07-04-2016 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knighthawk (Post 945599)
Are there any pics of your car ?

I'll sort some pics :)

Dkfream 08-04-2016 12:11 AM

U2238 125T belt
U2698 5x10x4 bearing
U4468 Belt adjuster

Parts used to convert to shorty