oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vintage RC (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Finally.... My Tamiya Avante!!!! (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142822)

optiman 08-01-2014 10:05 PM

Finally.... My Tamiya Avante!!!!

Guys, I just scored what it seems to be a nice Tamiya Avante:D Those who have read my threads know that I've always been a sucker for them.:drool:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-Avant...vip=true&rt=nc

The Avante is the orignal 80's version and needs some TLC along with a new body, decals, undertray, most probabbly a new lower carbon chassis(due to not having the undertray), correct motor, one wheel hub/nut, tires, driver figure and apparently some parts on the front suspension.
The question is; What should I do with it?
Since I saw the Black Special I knew I wanted one, but paying $800+ for one was not an option for me. So should I turn mine into one?
The way I see it I already need parts that could be bought Black Special instead of the standard Avante and Technigolds motors arent cheap also.
Maybe if I Blackenize the original Avante is the way to go... I need suggestions and recomendations from the Tamiya Gurus.:thumbsup:
I only paid $180 with free shipping for it, so there is some leeway in terms of spending money for it.

DanB4 09-01-2014 01:24 AM

I've got the following on eBay at the moment all from a genuine Black Special kit:

New body set
New pink wheels
90% genuine decals

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=181294624248

PM me for a deal ;)

mtn bkr 09-01-2014 06:15 AM

Congrats on your Avante purchase. Probably my favorite RC of all-time. Still kick myself for selling mine 8 years ago.:(

oli4ke 09-01-2014 11:36 AM

Looks nice!! Congratz!
I still have a NIP Avante wheel set 50347. Give me a pm if you are interested.

Rgds

Gayo 09-01-2014 12:49 PM

Now waiting for the Avansteel roll cage wonder :lol:

optiman 09-01-2014 03:14 PM

Thank you all! I'm really happy and exited!:D

I am still deliberating on what to do when it arrives. I just learned that there are basically 4 different models;

Avante (the original, which appears to be the one I bought with; cast aluminum metal parts and fiberglass chassis/shock towers, Technigold motor).

Avante 2001 (cheaper entry level version of the original Avante; plastic parts instead of aluminum, 2001 decals and body).

Avante 2011 (2011 version of the original, carbon fiber chassis/shock towers, 2011 special motor, CNC aluminum parts).

Avante Black Special (2011 version of the original with carbon fiber chassis/shock towers, race steering rack, ball diffs, one way center diff, pink wheels with narrow fronts, black special motor, black special decal set).

Options:
If I wish to Blackenize my original version I think is a long shot in terms of money spent. I would want everything like new and all the options of the Black, it would be better if I just spend the money in one.

If I buy a non-Technigold motor and new parts for the original it would be a mistake. If what I am going to receive is the real McCoy I trully think I should stick to my guns and restore the original.... and get the darn expensive Technigold motor! :cry:

I will have to wait until it's here and get close look on what I bought, then decide, stay tuned :thumbsup:

optiman 09-01-2014 03:22 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAMIYA-Techn...item4ace68bd08

$200 for THE motor, Ouch!!!

optiman 13-01-2014 01:35 PM

The Avante arrives today!:thumbsup:

optiman 14-01-2014 05:38 PM

10 Attachment(s)
The Avante is here!:thumbsup:

So yesterday I received the Avante... wow it is really a very nice cool looking buggy. Now that I finally have one in my hands I undertand all about it's reputation. First word it comes to my mind at first glance is; "nice"... but then it comes the; "why?". It is without doubt the most overdesigned buggy I personally ever seen, but nevertheless it is super cool. Plus is one of those buggys that almost everyone wanted to have in their childhood.

Anyways I took it home last night after some air blasting clean up at the shop and after some clean up here it is... Tada!! My 1988 Avante!

Here is what I found:
Tires, body and wing are useless for display, maybe a runner.
It is missing one hu cap and has a broken left knuckle, just like the description said.
The tranny is smooth and dog bones/front universals are in perfect shape.
It is missing one hex drive and one kingpin.
Underchassis is perfect aside from some marks of normal use that are minimal.
Bumper is amazingly in good condition, just one tiny mark.
It came with a Twister motor which was replaced in favor of a correct era and Tamiya brand motor, so the heck with the Technigold! ;)

Cart list:
New body, wing and undertray with decals are already ordered.
New manual 2011, ordered.
New wheels, tires and hub caps; pending order
And new plastic ball ends for the shock towers, steering knuckle, kingpin, an hex plate; pending order

I want to thank DanB4 for offering me the parts, but decided to go with the original 1988 look.
Oli4ke; I might be getting a wheel, hub combo on ebay, I'll let you know what I should decide.

More updates later:thumbsup:

oli4ke 14-01-2014 09:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by optiman (Post 829562)
Oli4ke; I might be getting a wheel, hub combo on ebay, I'll let you know what I should decide.

More updates later:thumbsup:

If you are interested, just do me an offer mate :thumbsup:
Wheelset is NIP , Pictures attached.

Best regards,

optiman 22-01-2014 03:35 PM

Updates:
The body, wing, decals and driver figure arrived!!!! Will go to the post office tonight to pick them up. I will next order the paint PS16 tamiya metallic blue and original style wheels and tires from ebay. Although I will not buy Oli4ke's wheels & tires from him due to high shipping costs due to the large distance between us I want to thank him for offering them to me :)

optiman 22-01-2014 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayo (Post 828362)
Now waiting for the Avansteel roll cage wonder :lol:

Lol, Gayo you know me!! But honestly I think I am done with the rollcage design stuff for now. I will finish the RC10 B4 roll cage project that I said I would do to the RC10Talk crowd and the Turbo Javelin Mid SE roll cage tribute and that's about it, no more rollcages!!!!:p
Personally I am involved in TOOO many things and hobbies; road race cars, R/C, kayaking, mountain biking, water sports and trying to make a silly comeback to kickboxing/muaythai but I guess I am too old for that now... the only thing comming back is the beer belly :p

percymon 22-01-2014 08:57 PM

Nice project. I'm on a similar mission at present but have opted to go with a Black Special hybrid, even updating the diffs by buying the torque splitter set. I already had the pink wheels n tyres so an easy choice for me, especially as I needed a full body set and samurai-japan2009 on eBay was selling at a reasonable price. I just picked some modern gold uprights on epay too. If you intend running it then maybe think about the black anodized alloy front and rear uprights (available at stellamodels and rcmart).

You might also want you look at the MFA RX15 motor, which appears to be a technigold in disguise.

oli4ke 24-01-2014 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by optiman (Post 831954)
Updates: Although I will not buy Oli4ke's wheels & tires from him due to high shipping costs due to the large distance between us I want to thank him for offering them to me :)

Yes, shipping cost was a killer :mad: My pleasure mate :thumbsup:

davidmog99 24-01-2014 07:09 AM

technigold

Hi. I was reading on tamiyaclub that you can buy a brand new technigold (the exact same motor but without the sticker) as its still in production by the manufacturer. I think 30$.
Thats a lot more affordable than 200$ (if you can cope with no sticker and 170$ left in your pocket).
I think it was in the vintage racing forum. Id post a link but i dont know how:blush:

percymon 24-01-2014 07:12 AM

Half way down the page...

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/inde...=&fromsearch=1

optiman 24-01-2014 07:33 AM

Interesting.... Just a sticker label away!!

optiman 25-01-2014 03:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Trimmed body, yeiii:thumbsup:

percymon 18-02-2014 03:34 PM

Any more progress ?

Have taken mine from this
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/...pse018b660.jpg

to this in the last couple of weeks..

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/...psg4mi9bqf.jpg

BORMAC 18-02-2014 11:28 PM

I am just as much in love with the Avante now as what I did when it was released back the late 80's. Seriously beautifully over engineered unique item.
I never did own one back then but have built up a rere and it is such a sweet model.
I have no great hopes of performance but of looks could kill this thing would be devastating out on the track.
Thank you for sharing your model with the rest of us. It's a beauty!