oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vintage RC (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Vintage Tamiya's (Prototypes?) (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72851)

Dazzler 12-06-2011 10:30 PM

Vintage Tamiya's (Prototypes?)

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone recognise the following cars?

Look like old Tamiya team cars / prototypes?

isobarik 12-06-2011 11:03 PM

yeah they look like it ...are they yours ???

mvh Isobarik

Dyna 12-06-2011 11:08 PM

Yes. All early Tamiya TRF211x's.

Quite a few were made, team drivers also modded away happily to their own cars.

Made up of Astute/Madcap/Super Astute & prototype Dynastorm parts, a few with custom made parts or adapted parts from other cars, like the lower right hand corner one. Popular mod was RC10 gearboxes grafted on, as the Super Asute gearbox & diff & slipper was never really any good.

Do you want to sell ? If so, im buying... :)

Dazzler 12-06-2011 11:12 PM

Sorry, not for sale.... That's another part of this forum. :p. But you won't find them there either I'm afraid.

There's some shells for them somewhere... If I can get them matched up, I'll post up another pic for people to look at.

Dyna 12-06-2011 11:17 PM

Shame, ive always wanted a TRF211x... if ever you want to sell one one, let me know :)

Nice collection though, were they all from one Tamiya driver or a collection from different drivers ?

Post the shells up if you get a chance, i might be able to recognise one or two if they were old UK drivers cars....

qatmix 12-06-2011 11:32 PM

If you want the 211 you can buy the plates from fibrelyte, then just buy a dyna storm and mount that. That was the common 211 set-up.

The shell us more difficult although I think everyone used a Kyosho shell.

Dyna 12-06-2011 11:53 PM

Yup done that, had a couple of the first ones FbreLyte did when they released them many years ago :lol:

I've done that version a few times, and a last-of-the-line plastic tub TRF211x... but neither are geniune factory driven TRFs. Remember there were three main developments of TRF211'x, all evolutions of the first, and i doubt any of them were 100% identical :woot:

The one available from Fibrelyte was around the second TRF211x development, the Dynastorm version. Ive always wanted a geniune Super Astute TRF version, one of the first ones. As in the picture above.

Shells were a driver thing mostly - some used modified Astute shells, aftermarket shells or the Kyoshos dependant on which chassis they were using or whatever design they liked. The second generation TRF211x's used a pre-Dynastorm shell, looks almost the same, just minor differences.

adey 13-06-2011 07:19 AM

i remember about 10 years ago seeing what looked like a tamiya egress with manta ray suspension and TRF cut into the topdeck. It was in the bottom of a junk box in a shed. He refused to sell it.

Dyna 13-06-2011 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adey (Post 514121)
i remember about 10 years ago seeing what looked like a tamiya egress with manta ray suspension and TRF cut into the topdeck. It was in the bottom of a junk box in a shed. He refused to sell it.

That sound suspiciously like one of Jamie Booths early TRF cars or a close copy of ? He did extensively modify an Egress, most notably with H-arm rear suspension instead of the trailing arms... and he also had 'TRF' milled into the chassis top-deck... But he quickly stopped using it as it wasnt that competitive.

Soon after that he used the modified Manta-Ray which used a carbon double-deck chassis. Basically the Top Force prototype. Jamies all had the red gearboxes if i remember though ?

I had heard recently he got his original Egress back, or had found it and brought it back again. Or wanted to find it. Or build a replica. Cant remember now :lol:

qatmix 13-06-2011 10:22 AM

I still have a jamie booth Mantaray chassis :)

Dyna 13-06-2011 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qatmix (Post 514191)
I still have a jamie booth Mantaray chassis :)

Got any pics of it ?? :drool:

qatmix 13-06-2011 12:49 PM

it will look a bit sad as it was drilled etc to make it lighter.. I will find it and get some pics..

I think it was stripped down for parts for my early Tamiya TC stuff..

BORMAC 16-06-2011 12:21 PM

The chassis with the yellow square sticker with the '316' digits on it could have been used in the 91' Detroit Worlds as my Schumacher Team driver cars from that event had the exact same stickers on it. (Entrant numbers perhaps?)

DerbyDan 17-06-2011 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BORMAC (Post 515664)
The chassis with the yellow square sticker with the '316' digits on it could have been used in the 91' Detroit Worlds as my Schumacher Team driver cars from that event had the exact same stickers on it. (Entrant numbers perhaps?)

I was thinking that too.... check out the photo's of the Losi in this thread over on RC10Talk

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=22111

As you can see this car (which was also used in Detroit in 91) has the same number sticker.

Dyna 17-06-2011 10:17 AM

Your getting closer... That is a geniune Worlds TRF car.... i know whos cars they are but i'm sworn to secrecy atm... :p

Im sure Daz will expand the thread soon, as that collection is a huge bit of Tamiya history - maybe the only complete TRF211x collection from one early TRF driver left as a whole ?

adey 17-06-2011 05:56 PM

i would like too see pictures of ellis staffords and alan harmans 411x and 211x cars. I heard a rumor that alan harman still has his 411x.

Dazzler 17-06-2011 09:18 PM

TRF Shell

1 Attachment(s)
So, armed once more with the camera, there's some shells, lets have a look at this one for starters.. :drool:

adey 17-06-2011 10:51 PM

i know you said you wouldnt sell any of these but would you consider a million pounds, my integara type r, my faithfull fiance and my right or left leg ?

Dyna 17-06-2011 10:57 PM

I already upped that by an arm as well, but he wasnt having any of it... :lol:

Dazzler 17-06-2011 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dyna (Post 516338)
I already upped that by an arm as well, but he wasnt having any of it... :lol:

And I'll raise you two eye balls to see the other three shells :woot: