oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Team Associated (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   B6.1.. comments? (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195542)

ste_lazzaro 12-02-2018 09:53 PM

B6.1.. comments?

Hello everybody,
I was expecting comments on the first pics and information on the B6.1, but nothing yet.. So I'm gonna start the discussion!
By looking at the pics it looks like the new transmission is not likely to fit the B6 chassis, and if this is confirmed it's a real shame.
I would say that the new gearbox does not use the rear two narrow holes but uses instead the wide ones for the D block.
I would hope (and it would make sense) that the front and centre pairs of holes are maintained.
The C block is different, and does not use wide mounting holes as in the B6.
I am wondering whether I will be able to use the original B6 C block and still fit the new gearbox.

If this is not possible.. I will be really disappointed: why calling the car B6.1 if you cannot update the B6 to the new specs? Call it B7 then!!

discostu 12-02-2018 10:42 PM

you could just get over it

david85williams 12-02-2018 10:44 PM

Haha :lol:

ste_lazzaro 13-02-2018 11:19 AM

Yeah.. I guess so..
But not before trying! Let’s see when manual and part numbers will be available..

PaulRotheram 13-02-2018 12:17 PM

Its not possible - you will need the full rear end.

Brent Thielke is trying to come up with a way to use the existing b6 chassis by providing a paper template with new drill hole locations.

However if you wish to use the new gear box the C block will be needed as will the wishbones due to the chassis technically being shorter - the new wishbones re extends the wheelbase.

He has not confirmed it is yet possible - just something he is trying. However estimating the cost of the rear end, it won't be a million miles away from new car territory.

ste_lazzaro 13-02-2018 01:26 PM

Shorter chassis? :o
Crap...

noddy 13-02-2018 03:58 PM

the new car indeed has a shorter chassis and it has been confirmed the parts won't swap over, it would cost almost as much as a new car. tbh the new car imo doesn't need much adding to make it better, i can't decide which to get for racing on astro turf.

discothesnake 13-02-2018 08:41 PM

B6.1

Personally I'm not bothered. I won't be changing my car. Only bit I'm interested in is the easy access diff.

ste_lazzaro 13-02-2018 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discothesnake (Post 984330)
Personally I'm not bothered. I won't be changing my car. Only bit I'm interested in is the easy access diff.

Totally agree.. I think I will go for the 3D printed gearbox from Shapeways..

Origineelreclamebord 14-02-2018 05:57 PM

I'm more surprised no-one has commented on the B6.1D... I think it could be a good car for wet astro racing with the ball diff and its balance between a stand-up and laydown, but to be honest I believe the car is developed too much with sugared tracks and the pro drivers in mind.

Yes, you can get away with a laydown-style gearbox on low-grip. However the setup window becomes small, it (likely) becomes more sensitive to changes in conditions / grip level and one needs to have a very good feel and response to the throttle of the car. The majority of drivers are better off using a car with less ultimate pace but a wide 'operating window' and a forgiving nature, but of course many are not willing to admit that, not even to themselves...

Before anyone asks... I am willing to admit that I need a forgiving car more than one with ultimate pace :) It's also a more rewarding drive, being able to push to the limit without ending up backwards or on your roof every time you go over the edge...

Bit off-topic... anyway, still exciting to see Asso if anything is again leading the charge with the B6 instead of merely following competitors' developments.

matt 14-02-2018 08:41 PM

A few of the guys at our astro track have preordered the 6.1D as all round car.

Origineelreclamebord 14-02-2018 09:12 PM

It'll be interesting to see. I can only hope I'm wrong about the B6.1D or Asso see very soon they need a kit with standup gearbox in their arsenal. Or both... :)

matt 14-02-2018 09:56 PM

They have already said there will be a stand up gear box for car.

daz75 14-02-2018 10:37 PM

Assume the b6.1 comes with a gear diff as the pdf on the website has conflicting info

Origineelreclamebord 14-02-2018 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt (Post 984389)
They have already said there will be a stand up gear box for car.

With the B6.1-type slipper? And only 3-gear, or also 4-gear?

Ross 14-02-2018 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daz75 (Post 984394)
Assume the b6.1 comes with a gear diff as the pdf on the website has conflicting info

If you are referring to wording " Easy access ball differential" by the picture of a gear diff HERE, I would say it's a typo as it clearly shows a gear diff in all the pictures.

daz75 15-02-2018 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross (Post 984397)
If you are referring to wording " Easy access ball differential" by the picture of a gear diff HERE, I would say it's a typo as it clearly shows a gear diff in all the pictures.

Yeah that's the bit I meant and I assumed the same as you surely it's a gear diff

KRob 15-02-2018 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Origineelreclamebord (Post 984396)
With the B6.1-type slipper? And only 3-gear, or also 4-gear?

Yep, apparently there will be a stand up 3-gear that allows the shocks to be on the front of the wishbones - so probably must have the new slipper.

From RC Tech
There are 3 new gear boxes for the b6.1 (3-gear stand up, Laydown, and Layback). All of them have a quick change diff and all of them allow the shocks to be ran on the front.

RogerM 15-02-2018 01:27 PM

I don't think anyone will really know until B6.1D cars hit a wet astro track but I am fairly confident they will be THE hot ticket with the layback gearbox.

Recently I've spent many cold & wet hours at Kidderminster with grip levels less than that of ice on the areas in front of the rostrum and against laptiming the laydown is definitely quicker and realative consistency is the same for both.
Only thing I'm doing is trying to get the weight as far back as possible without adding additional weight to the car. Based on this being able to move both the motor and battery back 8-10mm (estimated from images) will be a huge benefit.

Now I've typed that watch us have the driest and warmest season on record :)

daz75 13-03-2018 10:59 PM

So who's pre ordered what then?