oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   1/10th OFF ROAD (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   Oldie / Newbie considering coming back (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111404)

Dougie 30-09-2012 07:39 AM

Oldie / Newbie considering coming back

Hi folks

I guess a lot has change in 17yrs away from the sport.

I am looking at buying the b44.1. can anyone recomened good radio gear, stick controller is my preference.

Lipo Saddles, which ones - so much choice :cry:
Charger - for above ^^
Servo / speed controller.
Motor brushless

Hoping my thumbs still have what it takes...

Thanks

Dougie

David Church 30-09-2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dougie (Post 699384)
Hi folks

I guess a lot has change in 17yrs away from the sport.

I am looking at buying the b44.1. can anyone recomened good radio gear, stick controller is my preference.

Lipo Saddles, which ones - so much choice :cry:
Charger - for above ^^
Servo / speed controller.
Motor brushless

Hoping my thumbs still have what it takes...

Thanks

Dougie

Welcome back Dougie!

The B44 is a great car, good choice. As with many RC stuff a lot of people have their own opinion.
Charger, core do a goon mains powered one. Speedo and motor, Speed Passion is good. Lipos, Orion are my favorite. Handset, there are limited choices for stick radio now a days, Sanwa Exess are the latest, KO are also good, but Ansman and core do a very inexpensive handset.

Yes I have a shop, and would be happy to help you out back into the sport, but also you will not go wrong with the items I mentioned no matter where you buy them!!!

Good luck!

Dc

V6Jim 30-09-2012 08:21 AM

I have just done exactly what you are about to do. 20 years out of the loop and back into it again with a vengeance!

I gave myself a fairly tight budget of £350 just in case the bug has only bitten temporarily! What I did first was borrow a friend's car for a day just to see if the thumbs still worked. After about 10 seconds it was apparent that the thumbs were fine! What was a shock though was the astonishing speed of the cars! And seemingly limitless duration!

So, it was time to spend some money.

Secondhand car with tons of spares, wheels, tyres etc. So a Caster SK10 pro V2 from eBay for £90 was purchased. A b44.1 is probably a safer choice, and there are plenty around. Not as cheap though. Radio gear from Tamco/Core/Etronix. Hobbywing 120amp Speedo from China. Charger from China. New HPI 6.5t motor, New HPI cells and an Alturn 750mg servo.

All for £390. Still need a new bodyshell and shock and diff oil etc.

I have to say I'm having an absolute ball getting this all sorted and am seriously looking forward to racing again.

So, no need to spend a fortune, just do the research, spend wisely and enjoy yourself!

Jimmy

Dougie 07-10-2012 08:25 AM

cheers ^^^

morpheus2010 07-10-2012 12:20 PM

Transmitter

If you want to stick ( Pun intended) get the Etronix Pulse EX3GPro version it has plenty of adjustable and programmable features for low cost compared to Futaba/Sanwa prices. I've raced using one indoors and out with NO problems.

Worth getting a Transmitter Lipo from HobbyKing ~$20 inc delivery

see :Turnigy_2650mAh_3S_1C_LLF_Tx_Pack_Futaba_JR

Only need to top up charge every 3 or 4 weeks ;)

V6Jim 07-10-2012 01:35 PM

I've put standard NiMh cells into mine and it's lasting very well.

Jimmy

VintageRacer 07-10-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V6Jim (Post 701588)
I've put standard NiMh cells into mine and it's lasting very well.

Hybrid NiMH are a good option as they have a very low self-discharge. I use them in my son's Etronix and he can go ages without needing to charge them.