oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   1/10th OFF ROAD (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   MRT or Mylaps transponder (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207616)

brown4s 28-06-2020 05:17 PM

MRT or Mylaps transponder

Hi,

Trying to establish the pro’s and cons for both of these transponders.

MRT is appealing from a cost perspective but what would I be losing out on if I didn’t go with the mylaps (Harry I think) transponder ?

Given I am looking to race 2wd and 4wd it’s important I guess this right.

johnboy 28-06-2020 05:27 PM

They both work no issues.
MRT popular because cheaper in price

mark christopher 28-06-2020 07:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by brown4s (Post 1011050)
Hi,

Trying to establish the pro’s and cons for both of these transponders.

MRT is appealing from a cost perspective but what would I be losing out on if I didn’t go with the mylaps (Harry I think) transponder ?

Given I am looking to race 2wd and 4wd it’s important I guess this right.

harry (rc4 hybrid) will work on rc4 and rc4 latest software mrt wont (see pic) i use mrt as amb customer service was diabolical, and mrt was brilliant (i have 7 cloned mrt with my number on) you can change wires on mrt easilly too, not on amb

Donutt 28-06-2020 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark christopher (Post 1011053)
harry (rc4 hybrid) will work on rc4 and rc4 latest software mrt wont (see pic) i use mrt as amb customer service was diabolical, and mrt was brilliant (i have 7 cloned mrt with my number on) you can change wires on mrt easilly too, not on amb

All valid stuff from Mark.
Compatibility is important. MyLaps are trying to squeeze out MRT by making the decoder not work with 3rd party transponders. So future updates from MyLaps will mean the MRT pts will stop working eventually.

Guess you'll have to decide for yourself which way to go.

I have one MyLaps pt and a couple of MRT. So in an emergency I can move the MyLaps pt between cars, if its the only one that'll work at that club.

mark christopher 29-06-2020 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donutt (Post 1011056)
All valid stuff from Mark.
Compatibility is important. MyLaps are trying to squeeze out MRT by making the decoder not work with 3rd party transponders. So future updates from MyLaps will mean the MRT pts will stop working eventually.

Guess you'll have to decide for yourself which way to go.

I have one MyLaps pt and a couple of MRT. So in an emergency I can move the MyLaps pt between cars, if its the only one that'll work at that club.

and in trying to stop MRT mylaps have screwed their own customers by deleting the DP pt

Wig 29-06-2020 06:58 PM

I was under the impression that most clubs either didnt update to 4.5 or rolled back to 4 as it would make mrt ptx obselete. I personally dont know of a club that uses 4.5.

Buy MRT because they are a UK company, great price and their aftersales service is second to none.

pumbaa 29-06-2020 08:01 PM

The issue comes when new clubs approach MyLaps for a decoder as they'll now only sell RC4.5.

I know one club that has an issue.

mark christopher 01-07-2020 06:45 PM

i only know of one southern on road track that runs rc4.5 forcing all their members to change pt's

mark christopher 01-07-2020 07:51 PM

doh double post

NeilRalph77 02-07-2020 09:16 AM

I've seen mrts and brand new mrts miss laps, and know quite a few racers who won't use them for this reason, I had one for years and never had a problem but as soon as I found a good priced mylaps from someone I knew I jumped all over it.

Ashlandchris 02-07-2020 09:35 PM

My MRT has never missed a lap. Ever
But it probably helps that I drive so slowly over the loop!

Wig 03-07-2020 09:07 AM

I had a 4 year old mrt start missing laps.
Contacted mrt and they fixed it without issue,foc and no questions asked.

MechanicalUnsymphonee 03-07-2020 11:13 AM

MRT offer great support and great customer service, and more attractive pricing than AMB/MyLaps.

I did get a MyLaps back in 2013, when a lot of clubs moved to RC4, but a few weeks ago MRT upgraded my older MRT PTX (with gold lettering) to the new MRT mPTX, and even though I purchased it in 2011 and from Demon, not MRT, they still replaced my MRT PTX with the newer MRT mPTX for half price.

I wasn't aware that there was a newer RC4.5 about, but I'm sure MRT will do everything they can to bring support for this newer standard if it's technically possible to do so, but in the meantime I will still have the MyLaps transponder.