oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   R/C Graphy! (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Painters question (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167433)

StwBald 12-05-2015 07:33 PM

Painters question

looking at a good consistent airbrush.

Simple question. I'm using a Veda-180 with a .5 needle would a iwata eclipse with a .5 needle make any difference.

What brush is everyone using..??

Cheers

n design 12-05-2015 10:33 PM

I use Harder and steenbeck cr plus.
Top quality reliable and well priced piece of kit.

StwBald 14-05-2015 09:13 AM

was looking at an iwata eclipse, its apparently designed for our thicker paints. or that's what I read.

G-Kenny 14-05-2015 10:39 AM

I use an Iwata Kustom Eclipse Cs and you wont be disappointed, Really nice brush.

andys 14-05-2015 11:00 AM

I Use the one Jon at RCS sells (it's superb) - also have bunch of cheap eBay jobbies - but they are only used for blanket white / black as generally they are not very good and seals go quickly etc. Had lots I have had to bin.

Just bought the Iwata Neo to give one a go - around £45 / £50 - fingers crossed :)

Ashlandchris 14-05-2015 11:29 AM

I originally had a cheap <£10 brush which used to clog and spit so I replaced it with a £35 airbrush (can't remember model, but looks similar to the veda one when I just googled it). It was Ok but seems to block a lot and doesn't cope with create paints too well unless they are thinned.

I treated myself to am Iwata Revolution (bit cheaper than the eclipse ~£95) and it is superb.
Good for fine stuff with pressure turned down and also good for even coverage with pressure a bit higher

Mike Parker 14-05-2015 05:22 PM

Iwata Kustom CS all the way everyday Stu, I have 2 and they are a workhorse of a brush. Mid level when it comes to cost but I have not had a moments bother with them considering the amount of paint that has flowed through them :) Give us a shout if want me to price a brush up for you Stu

Andy, I have used the gravity fed Neo brush recently to try - And they are not bad for the money!

andys 15-05-2015 08:37 AM

Mike.

I'd be interested to know where / how much the brush you mention is - drop me a PM with some more info please :)

Andyp 15-05-2015 12:00 PM

I also have a kustom cs, I started out with a gravity feed neo it was ok, seemed to struggle abit with opaque water base paints. I took the plunge and got a kustom cs around £160 ish I think I paid, it takes lots of abuse from an hobby painter like myself. It will spray any water based paint I have straight out of the bottle if need be, I wouldn't have hesitated buying it in the first place if I knew how easy it was to use.

eyeayen 15-05-2015 11:45 PM

I've used Iwata for years, had an HP-B for 28 years ( I think ), faultless but a little too fine for these sort of paints so bought an Iwata Revolution -

https://airbrushes.com/product_info....rg1gmci61jjvn6

Lovely airbrush for the money, you won't need anything else if you get this, handles everything perfectly.

If you buy Iwata you won't go wrong, I won't use anything else now.

Ross 16-05-2015 07:55 AM

Out of interest guys, what else is needed to go with the brush. Have a Makita compressor that should be more than enough up to the job.

Do I need filters, water traps ?

bigred5765 16-05-2015 08:45 AM

I have this one CLICKY mega airbrush and with multiple needles ranging from 0.15 right up to 1.0mm you cant get it wrong

eyeayen 16-05-2015 09:15 AM

@Ross - you absolutely must have a moisture trap on the compressor, most of them will also have a regulator on them too, that way you can adjust your pressure nice and easy. Depending how industrail the compressor is you might want to put an oil trap before the moisture one to make sure no contaminates are getting though.

That's pretty much it aside somewhere ventialted to spray in.

Ross 17-05-2015 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeayen (Post 912189)
@Ross - you absolutely must have a moisture trap on the compressor, most of them will also have a regulator on them too, that way you can adjust your pressure nice and easy. Depending how industrail the compressor is you might want to put an oil trap before the moisture one to make sure no contaminates are getting though.

That's pretty much it aside somewhere ventialted to spray in.

It's this one eyeayen

http://www.makitauk.com/products/fas...ompressor.html

There's a shop in the town that deals with compressors, I'll pop in and see if he has the moisture and oil traps, he may even doing the fittings to convert the hoses down to the air brush :)

Cheers
Ross

Ohh and sorry for the hijack on the thread :)

eyeayen 17-05-2015 08:39 AM

That will do you fine, it's got a pressure regulator on it so that's one less thing to buy. You definitely need those pre filters though. Not bought any in about 10 years so no idea how much they will be ?

Ross 17-05-2015 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeayen (Post 912293)
That will do you fine, it's got a pressure regulator on it so that's one less thing to buy. You definitely need those pre filters though. Not bought any in about 10 years so no idea how much they will be ?

:thumbsup: cool, I'll have a look for the filters then :D

Cheers fella

andys 18-05-2015 03:48 PM

Neo arrived today - had a quick play and initial impressions are awesome :)

So much better than my current brush - easily sprays super fine lines at very low pressure and feels super well made. Seriously impressed for the 10mins i've had it - proof will be when I use it on a shell - but i'm thinking it's going to be miles better than what i'm used to. In fact - it was so good - I can't believe I've managed so long with what I have as I thought that was good - but this is different gravy :)

Maybe my brush needs a new needle - who knows!

andys 21-05-2015 06:17 PM

Update.

Iwata Neo was used to spray a shell. In actual use - it's ok - not great as I thought it would be - just ok :(

Clogs easily (needs paints thinning) - struggled with pearls and generally didn't perform as well as my old brush - maybe an expensive one is the only way to go!

StwBald 22-05-2015 09:19 AM

just bought a kustom cs from bartsharp ltd

used a discount code to get it down to £145 posted

andys 22-05-2015 10:31 AM

Hi.

Can you PM me the details / code / where you got it from please?

Thanks.
Andy