oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   REAL 1:1 Cars (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   xsara piccaso gearbox..... (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87305)

Garry Spice 05-12-2011 04:14 PM

xsara piccaso gearbox.....

help! my car was fine driving home,reversed up the drive and now wont go into gear with the engine running.confused....help

Maddy 05-12-2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garry Spice (Post 591164)
help! my car was fine driving home,reversed up the drive and now wont go into gear with the engine running.confused....help

Check the gearbox cables haven't popped out,theses have cables and not linkages,
Very easy repair.
or adjust as required.
hope this helps.

budfish 05-12-2011 04:19 PM

Sounds like it's the gearbox selector or clutch you might be lucky and it could just need adjusting

crewie 05-12-2011 04:22 PM

Check fluid level first. It should be the same as the Peugeot system which means its hydraulic. It uses fluid from the brake reservoir so check that first. If all ok possibly the slave cylinder. Because the pedal is sprung it can feel ok but actually something is wrong.

Hth a bit

crewie 05-12-2011 04:26 PM

Just to add being hydraulic may depend on the age. Can't remember off the top of my head

Garry Spice 05-12-2011 04:39 PM

thanks dave!:thumbsup:

savage stevo 05-12-2011 04:45 PM

Sounds like the clutch bearing may have collapsed, quite a common problem on peugeots and citreons as they use a very small bearing. Seen plenty of these doing two or three a week! :eh?:

Col 05-12-2011 08:31 PM

Does it go into gear when not running?

fidspeed 05-12-2011 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Col (Post 591307)
Does it go into gear when not running?

beat me to it Col

if you can select all gears without engine running this eliminates linkages cables and selector mechanism and points directly to clutch issues either clutch cable/hydraulic problems or internal failure which will demand gearbox removal

if you have driven home with no issues lately i wouldnt think internal failure is likely but as we dont know if you can select gears with the engine switched off the jury is out

regards fid

Garry Spice 06-12-2011 06:48 AM

yep it does go into gear with the engine off...i can start it in gear and it has drive.the clutch doesnt feel like its slipping tho.....and isnt smelly either.

Col 06-12-2011 07:07 AM

So once it's moving you can drive normally - it's just getting it into first?
Can you start it in gear with the clutch depressed and the car does not go forwards?

spud31 06-12-2011 07:39 AM

DMF faliure i bet

savage stevo 06-12-2011 08:22 AM

Sounds like what i said earlier, clutch bearing (thrust) failure, me being a mechanic this is what i would be looking at, removing the gearbox is the only thing to do at this point.

mark christopher 06-12-2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maddy (Post 591166)
Check the gearbox cables haven't popped out,theses have cables and not linkages,
Very easy repair.
or adjust as required.
hope this helps.

As he has said its when's running as I deL with customers then is assume its ok when engine off, rules out cables instantly

Quote:

Originally Posted by spud31 (Post 591491)
DMF faliure i bet

Disagree, never had a dmf fail in only unable to get gears when engine running without have noise or drive issue.

fidspeed 06-12-2011 10:13 AM

ok

so we now know we have eliminated gearbox linkages and selectors and quite rightly as savage stevo says its pointing to clutch failure/release bearing failure

does the clutch pedal feel "normal in operation" engine off ?
if you can start in gear and drive can you change gear normally ?
if the engine is running in neutral can you hear any unusual noises when you operate clutch (failed release bearings wil usually whistle or whine if loaded
its possible clutch linkage whether cable or hydraulic has problems can you see it working under the bonnett if someone operates the pedal for you

HTH fid

Garry Spice 10-12-2011 05:57 AM

well,it was bearing and selector finger failure! £350 quid later and 9hrs she back on the road!