oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Schumacher (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   K2 motor position in KF2? (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177068)

James Pickard 13-02-2016 09:38 AM

K2 motor position in KF2?

I was wondering if anyone has tried (or considered trying) fitting the K2 central gearbox to the KF2, such that the motor sits directly in front of the lipos? If anyone has some pics would be helpful!

AntH 16-02-2016 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Pickard (Post 940662)
I was wondering if anyone has tried (or considered trying) fitting the K2 central gearbox to the KF2, such that the motor sits directly in front of the lipos? If anyone has some pics would be helpful!

Kind of a no mans land with that layout. Compromised for both high and low traction....

James Pickard 20-02-2016 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntH (Post 940929)
Kind of a no mans land with that layout. Compromised for both high and low traction....

Why do you think it'll be compromised in low traction situation?

AntH 20-02-2016 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Pickard (Post 941182)
Why do you think it'll be compromised in low traction situation?

For low traction, you'd want the K2 motor/layshaft assembly behind the lipo I'd say, with a low profile 130g lipo in front. The further back the motor is, the more downwards force you get on the rear wheels from the motor inertia effect. This might be better in low traction than the current 'mid' setup.

Then for a high traction layout, not sure it is ideal with the k2 layshaft/motor assembly in front of the lipo. To get the same weight distribution as the current 'low traction/shorty', the motor is likely going to have to be slightly further back - not what you really want with high traction really.

I bet Schumacher have it all layed out on CAD anyway!

James Pickard 14-04-2016 09:26 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Just to try and keep some interest going on this thread, here's a prototype I've mocked up. Will update once I've had a test.

mrspeedy 14-04-2016 04:52 PM

Looks ace !! What parts did you use for the conversion ?

James Pickard 14-04-2016 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrspeedy (Post 946269)
Looks ace !! What parts did you use for the conversion ?

Thanks. The housing, top pulley, tensioner and side gears are all from the K2. The slipper assembly and layshaft are the same in the K2 as the KF2. The belt is Schumacher 128t, from one of on-road cars (can't remember which off the top of my head), but it actually gives pretty much the right location. £15 for a sheet of carbon fibre from eBay! (Good old China!)

Danosborne6661 15-04-2016 10:35 AM

:thumbsup:

mrspeedy 15-04-2016 04:09 PM

Did you look at using the KF2 tranny parts re-arranged into this layout at all or is that not possible ?

AntH 15-04-2016 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Pickard (Post 946222)
Just to try and keep some interest going on this thread, here's a prototype I've mocked up. Will update once I've had a test.

Nice job, but what were the objectives in doing this?

honrico Diablo 15-04-2016 10:09 PM

i like the look of that. more weight rear than any of three current configs i would guess..... just stumbled on the kf3?:thumbsup:

Suzukitudor 16-04-2016 08:10 AM

Top job

NICE WORK! Look forward to hearing how it goes. Did a lot of running rear motor configuration with a cobra Kf over winter now running a kf2 rear motor. Me and a chum were actually discussing what you have just done. Did you CNC the carbon fibre?

AdrianH78 16-04-2016 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Pickard (Post 946222)

Looking at where all the weight will be, this could be the ultimate low traction setup for the KF? :thumbsup: nice work:)

Schumacher would do well using this on clay perhaps :)

James Pickard 16-04-2016 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrspeedy (Post 946363)
Did you look at using the KF2 tranny parts re-arranged into this layout at all or is that not possible ?

Not sure, I was starting out with KF so I went straight for the K2. I only know that the slipper assemblis in the KF2 and K2 are the same from the exploded diagrams so the top pulley from the KF2 might also work. I'm pretty sure that the K2 housing is a must because the belt must go up and over the motor which isn't possible with the KF and from the looks of it nor the KF2.

James Pickard 16-04-2016 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzukitudor (Post 946398)
NICE WORK! Look forward to hearing how it goes. Did a lot of running rear motor configuration with a cobra Kf over winter now running a kf2 rear motor. Me and a chum were actually discussing what you have just done. Did you CNC the carbon fibre?

Hopefully it will go well! I've always thought that's where the motor should be on low grip conversion so when the K2 came out it seemed like a no-brainer! No CNC, just cut the chassis with a scroll saw and steady hand!!

DCM 22-05-2016 10:33 PM

Have you looked at how far back you can get the motor before you get in trouble with the belt fouling itself?