oOple.com Forums

oOple.com Forums (http://www.oople.com/forums/index.php)
-   Schumacher (http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   my cat does doughnuts! (http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51024)

autonm 04-08-2010 11:46 AM

my cat does doughnuts!

Apart from the SPUR/idler problems that I have been posting about, when it actually runs - it runs very well.

However when I turn into a corner it grips very well and powers out fine. However if I am a touch overstrong on the cornering the CAT literally does a doughnut!

I do not have to be going fast for this to happen, and even happens if I dont increase the power. Its as if the rear end is trying to swing by the the front wheels :woot:

Ive tried 40 and 25 in the rear suspension oil, didnt seem to make much difference. I have set the camber, ride height etc.

Ive even tried the same tyres on my B44 and the B44 does not show this doughnut'ing, so it isnt the tyres.

All screws/nuts/positions for the suspension etc are set to the middle hole.

If I reduce the turn on the transmittor then it loses's the ability to get round hairpins :thumbdown: so I would rather fix the problem on the car rather than hiding it with a transmittor fix.

Any other settings I could try and change?

sfry61 04-08-2010 11:56 AM

Whats the setup on the rear end?

Have you tried using a softer spring?
Check the rear diff isnt too loose

coolcars782 04-08-2010 12:16 PM

I would try a softer rear spring as it seems like the rear is not getting enough grip.

Carl

racingdwarf 04-08-2010 12:40 PM

Hmm I'm not a cat man, but it sounds like the front maybe colapsing mid corner thus giving a sudden fist full of front end grip and the weight transfer going to the front, when mid corner, No weight on the back = no grip and the car will just snap out

Im no set up man but maybe heavier front end, oil & spring, poss tigten the front diff a bit maybe the outer row on the front tyres:confused:

autonm 04-08-2010 01:33 PM

thanks guys. I wont have a new set of springs before Friday (race night) - but I can try adding some weight to the backend first.

As for the diff setup, its per the manual, tighten right up and then slacken back by 90degree's. So to make it any tighter Ive only got quarter of a screw turn to play with.

Cruise 04-08-2010 01:44 PM

Try also a different ackermann setup.Lengthen the center track rod of the steering to a 13mm gap, this will transform the car completely.

Cruise

moth898 04-08-2010 01:57 PM

You can also tighten up the diff a little to keep the inside wheel from unloading. Try the overdrive diff up front to help pull the car around turns.

autonm 04-08-2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruise (Post 401042)
Try also a different ackermann setup.Lengthen the center track rod of the steering to a 13mm gap, this will transform the car completely.

Cruise

does this effect the toe in? - I understand the idea of the ackermann setup - but by extending the rod how does that have a direct impact?

autonm 04-08-2010 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moth898 (Post 401045)
You can also tighten up the diff a little to keep the inside wheel from unloading. Try the overdrive diff up front to help pull the car around turns.

as mentioned before ive only got quarter of a turn to play wih on the diff. Manual says tighten right up and then slacken off my 90degree's.

(if im reading that right)

bigred5765 04-08-2010 11:51 PM

tighten up the front diff so it feels slightly to tight, and try that it should make the car drive more from the front coming out of the corner, forget what the manual says about 90 degrees turn back,

Snappy 05-08-2010 08:45 AM

Took me a while to work out how to stop my CAT from swapping or rotating ends off-power.

I ended up running heavier oil 35wt Associated with yellow springs at the front. 30wt white springs at the rear. I drilled holes in the rear of the back wishbones and run the shocks at the rear also. I also changed to the 1deg rear hub carriers. I've also tightened up the front diff to soften the steering.

Car doesn't want to swap rotate as much now but is still lively.

I feel I need to soften the rear more and will try the new big bore's as they seem to be very good on my new cougar.

Cruise 05-08-2010 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autonm (Post 401249)
does this effect the toe in? - I understand the idea of the ackermann setup - but by extending the rod how does that have a direct impact?

You need to reset your complete steering as this will affect the servo throw.

Reset your toe aswell.

The increased ackermann takes out some of the steering.This will calm down the back end as this will deliver a more predictable handling.

Cruise