View Single Post
Old 20-04-2008

Hmm I know what you mean, and don't worry didn't take any offence (it's an internet forum at the end of the day).

However I think your a bit forgiving of bad service, you can't turn away nickel and dime business for the very reason you have proven, small business often turns in to big business, I restore classic cars for a living, about 1% of my enquiries are "big business" I.E. Someone wanting to buy a car or a resto, I give a lot of free advice away, and quite often persuade customers not to spend money with me that wouldn't get them the result they want, don't get me wrong if someone insists on not taking my advice and blowing money with me I'm very happy to take it, but I would sooner help someone get a good deal, and recommend me to colleagues etc. Than try to have their pants down once and once only.

Likewise I sell lots of parts, some of them are in terms of profit a total waste of time, it costs me more in time and effort to take a phone call, wait for a cheque, bank it, and post out a 50p part. But I do because a month down the road that chap might want to spend a few thousand with me, yes chances are he won't, but he might, and I don't have a crystal ball to tell which will and which won't, so I treat everyone the same. That's the nature of sales.

I am trying to do this on the cheap, make no bones about that, but with the best will in the world if I find myself having fun off my so far about £60 outlay a lot of which will transfer to a new model anyway then I will be buying a nice shiny new car, that's 20-30 quid profit on the kit plus any extras that can be sold. Also no matter what these guys say there is more profit on small parts than large parts, mainly due to internet competition.

Anyway thats me done!