Thread: The Tools
View Single Post
Old 26-10-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy
Monopod is what i used at batley national with that comedy-huge lens chris, if you remember, i think you helped me carry the beast..
I think for me, because i generally want to get quite low for the little cars, if i need a static shot i will use a knee like jonathan says.

If you are having problems tho you might just have a too slow shutter speed, im not sure of the "formula" but generally you need a faster shutter speed the longer you are "zoomed in"
so lets say to get a clear shot at 70mm you might need 1/50th and at 300mm (with the same aperture and light) you might need 1/300th or faster.
Jimmy,

I think you're examples of "the formula" is about right. From other photography I've done I've been told shutter speed should be the fraction of what your lens length is and no slower. ie 1/300th for 300mm lens, 1/60th for a 60mm lens, 1/18th for a 18mm lens. In practice I've found this to be a fairly good rule of thumb and probably a good idea for stuff that's moving. I'm sure you can get away with a slower shutter speed if you were a good action protographer who's skilled and experienced with panning techniques. There's also been times when I've used a monopod (for non action photography), timed my breathing and gently squeezed the shutter and found that I can often get away with much slower shutter speeds that what "the formula" dictates. (eg 1/15th sec with a 50mm lens).

:idea: Oh yeah, another idea :!: about monopods and getting very close to the ground. I was at work today (I work at a hospital) and the physio department were throwing old crutches away. I was thinking that I could cut down the lower leg of an old crutch, screw the right size screw in the top and make a really short monopod! If I can rig up something good then I'll post some pics.... might be a winner!

Jason