View Single Post
Old 30-05-2013
Administrator

The layout gerd had was not feasable for mass production. Michael Vollmer worked with Gerd to put the ideas into a more practical package where you could do things like actually fit stuff in the car

The reason this chassis is possible is because it is 11mm longer. It doesn't destroy what Gerd or Michael did - it keeps the same principals alive and in a fresher package. I think it complements their design, not conflicts with it.

I raced the original production car with NiMh cells - things have changed and much like other trends, people are going loooooonger on the cars to aid stability due to the increased power available.

I don't want a Free car - I'm doing an article with a well known racer who's getting one. I want to pay for my car because Scott deserves it and I know this is by no means a big earner for him. If I'm over enthusiastic it's because having talked to Scott a lot lately and then met up at the weekend and chatted about the car and saw just how nicely finished it was - I want to help him out by expressing my actual feelings on it.
If this were a major manufacturer then I wouldn't be so gushing - but I really appreciate the stuff Scott has shown on this forum over the years and if he's made something this good off his own back with little money and a growing family - then I want people to know about it and see that Scott can keep doing this sort of thing.

Could I afford to create something like this? No way - and I'm sure Scott is hurting from the investment also. I think it's a great looking chassis and package - the TD parts are all proven tough and the chassis follows the ideals laid down by Gerd and Michael - so I say get em while you can!