View Single Post
Old 25-06-2013

Default Vintage CAT XLS for the race track.

Back in the day I used to watch these cars go round my club track with envy. I ended up buying a used CAT XL from a fellow racer back then and this car served me well. It made driving in stock a breeze.
All these years later I wanted to build up another CAT for the race track but this time I opted to go with the XLS version (those chrome rims really look ace in action).
This build has taken me a while as I wanted it to be as period correct as I could get it. Lots of mods went into this build which includes alloy diff centres, WASP slipper assembly, saddle pack chassis, ball raced alloy steering levers and more. The concept was to build and fit out a CAT in similar fashion to what would have been back in the late part of the 1980's.
For this I wanted to go with 1700 cells, brushed motor and esc, FET servo and 2.0" kit standard full spiked tyres. Over time I have sourced a pile of old cells so I thought I'd give some Sanyo SCRC's a go. With limited room in this chassis I opted for an old Hitec 1802N brushed esc. It's a pretty simple unit but I think it should be ok with the power plant I want to use. Not wanting to shred the drive train I have bolted in an old kyosho 'Super Stock 20' motor for the time being. These motors were never on the cutting edge back then but it was an obvious choice to motor this thing around gently. It's taken me a while but I have a nice Ko Propo FET servo with booster box plus an AM EX5 radio set to steer this thing around.
These cars look really hot sporting the chrome rims but also the tall spike kit tyres. Schumacher still make these and I have a set of yellow compound fitted up to the car.
This build was never an attempt to take on the pointy end of competition but rather a chance to truly experience these cars as they were. I don't want to demolish this car nor blow people away down the straight. I do intend to set this car down on a couple of different tracks and see how much fun it can be.
At some stage I will have more pics of the action track side.
Cheers-Jason

***always on the hunt for vintage KO ESC's***