View Single Post
Old 30-09-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trr061984 View Post
Ammo box seems a good idea but my only concern would be having all my lipos in the one place. If one decides to go up, wouldn't it set the whole lot off in the one box? So I suppose I need multiple boxes for added safety?
To a degree: I currently store over 30000mAh in my Battery/Ammo Box, and I don't feel comfortable with it because there are a few iffy packs in there that need to be disposed of.

That said, if you know none of your packs have a questionable history I see no problem. To be fair, the majority of the packs that do catch fire are kept in use in spite of signs that they shouldn't (charging and discharging beyond the assigned limits, permanently swollen cells, temperature issues, damaged/split cases, wear/age, etc).

Many consumer products use Lithium-based batteries these days (amongst which LiPo) and there are not many horror stories of those products spontaneously combusting because they protect the battery from being put in those situations in the first place. RC Cars don't have as many (or sometimes any) of these safety devices, and when racing we're already using the battery technology to it's limit. In other words, it's wise to monitor the batteries' condition and performance, and any signs of problems with a battery should be taken seriously.

One important note by the way on the Ammo Box: I have put some insulation on the bottom to make sure the batteries or connectors don't touch metal. I know it's painted, but I don't want to run the risk that the box itself becomes the cause of a LiPo fire

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy