View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014

I've raced in silver can racing at Hinckley. It worked on the touring cars to some degree, but was too slow for the off road cars during the summer. However in either you soon find out that there is no such thing as a level playing field, i.e. not all silver can motors are the same.

Personally I think when you are young, you just want to have the fastest car out their, regardless of whether you can drive it or not. It's only natural for a racer to want something fast otherwise we wouldn't race at all. And it only takes one person to get something faster for everyone to follow. At my local track most people now race TM2 or other similar 2wd buggies. Rather than spend more money I just take an old 4wd buggy along instead!

Also as many racers these days race at more than one club, then having equipment they can use at more than one club is import.

BUT, I still think there are ways to motivate people to race in a standard class or use cheaper slow equipment:

1. Before introducing a new stock class, see if you can get buy in from the fastest regular drivers. If you get them taking it up from the start, then the rest will follow.

2. Handicap racing: In pre-war racing at places like Brooklands, cars with less HP would be given a number of laps head start. The faster cars had to catch them up and pass to win the races. In RC cars you literally do this.

3. Points based system based on number of motor turns and current limit of the speedo. Bonus points are given to cars with lower standard equipment, and work out the winner at the end of the meeting. Effectively this is what is going to be done at the Iconic A1 revival meeting where cars using period equipment will get bonus points.