View Single Post
Old 05-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutting42 View Post
Yes so DCM said, I would want to keep that section whilst getting rid of the list.

I am a bit confused what you are getting at here. I only know the off road world so maybe I am missing your point. I don't care what anyone buys really. I use a mix of old and new gear. I am just as fast with any of it, yeah the older batteries can't do two competitive heats in one charge any more but they are fine for one or as a practice pack.

I guess my main issue is there seems little real reason behind having the list. Many other sections don't have it. It does not control costs it just gives a little traceability and it adds a whole lot of admin and confusion.

End of the day, I don't care that much, I will buy decent stuff anyway and it is not a big issue to make sure its on the list but it does seem bureaucratic so I voted Yes!
Currently in off-road battery power isn't a problem... However, let's say races are extended to 8 minutes in 2 years time, and there's no EB list. Your old batteries won't make 8 mins so you go out and buy some new ones, they're much better, you can do a warmup lap, drive carefully and make 8 mins. Two weeks later a new battery comes out, your mate gets one and can drive 110% and just about make 8 mins, you have to have one/two/four, buy some, great! A month later another battery comes out, you can now do 3 warm up laps, drive 110% and last 8 mins. Guess what, time to buy some more batteries

As it is at the minute, manufacturers know new cells have to be homologated, so they all arrive to market about the same time and are the same for 12 months, no battery of the month war. As I said elsewhere, the rules may seem outdated at the moment, but the foundations will ensure a much better market for the consumer should things change. And yes it does control cost, as there's a maximum price limit

Last edited by Cockerill; 05-11-2014 at 10:50 PM.