Thread: BSR-BZ222
View Single Post
Old 23-11-2014

I've spent half a wet sunday tinkering with the 222 so if anyone out there in Oople land is still interested I'll report progress.

I've come to the conclusion that using other make rear wishbones creates more problems than it sloves regarding clearance between driveshaft & spur gear cover (see above post) including too longer wheelbase (315mm!), driveshafts angled backwards too much & more droop meaning the driveshafts almost pop out, plus the fact that you'd need to buy other parts which defeats the object somewhat.

I've effectively settled with the standard build but running the rear hubs in long wheelbase (both plastic hinge pin spacers in front of hub) & I've shaved as much material off the spur gear cover without going through it to help the driveshaft clear it. I may leave it & keep an eye on it or I could slide a rubber spacer into each shock shaft to limit the compression of the shocks.

On to the shocks themselves. The pistons are a little loose in the bores. The bores measure 12mm exactly, the pistons are 11.75mm dia.I tried a spare set of Team C pistons which are 11.9mm dia. & filled them with oil. Unfortunately at full shaft extension they go tight & get stuck. So, back to the kit pistons it was. I put 300cSt in the rears but this was too light so settled with 350cSt. I put 500cSt in the front shocks.

I aim to set shocks with zero rebound but I found achieving this almost impossible. There are no bleed screws in the caps or any slots along the cap/body threads to allow air to bleed when doing up the caps, the threads are also too good a fit to allow air to escape. I carefully dremeled a slot along the thread at the top of the body after which I was able to set them up as desired.

With wheels on & all electrics/battery dummy fitted the suspension feels very smooth. Only time will tell how long they last/don't leak oil for but they do feel good.

I've noticed quite a lot of toe in though haven't yet measured the actual angle yet.

Hope to get it running soon though I won't get to a track until at least next sunday.

http://www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com/