View Single Post
Old 06-05-2015

I test LiPos as part of my work and i can confirm that there are a couple of ways of squeezing an extra couple of watts out of your batteries when you are at max throttle. but the performance increase is absolutely marginal and never worth it. Only the best drivers will notice any difference. The downside is that you will prematurely age your battery, this means the internal resistance of your cells will increase at a quicker rate than normal as the battery ages, which results in less "umph" than people who look after their cells

As for charging the cell to above 4.2v, this will give you a tiny amount of time where you can draw more wattage (probably your warm up lap), but again, it will really age the cell, and you will get very little advantage for it.

I can understand people trying to get the most out of every part of the car, but the best way to get the best performance out of a battery is to care for it and treat it will. I have seen far more top racers lose places because there batteries are not looked after very well, than i have ever seen from anyone who tries to squeeze out every last drop of power from the cell.

So as others have said, treat your cells well, and they will never let you down

Tom
TLR 22-4 2.0, TLR 22 5.0 AC Elite,

Kindly Supported by Trackside Spares, TLR, Spektrum and Horizon Hobby