View Single Post
Old 09-06-2015

Although I'm in the US, Durango isn't carried by any shops here in Houston, where I live. If you want local parts support you've got 3 manufacturer options. Associated, Losi, and Traxxas. Even then I've got to travel 40 miles to a shop that carries anything other than Traxxas. As such I order almost everything online. I have had no problems obtaining Durango parts when I've needed them. Our 1/10 track doesn't even have a shop tied to it so if anyone breaks there and doesn't already have a spare on hand, they are done for the day.

I admit to liking the V1 version of the 210 better than the V2 as well but there are many that disagree with me. I actually run a hybrid of them. I run the V1 chassis, shocks, and rear tower, but run the V2 front arms and a special slightly taller front tower. I use the V2 gearbox case and gear diff. I also only run this car in MM3 or RM3 since I can't stand MM4 on any car.

I personally don't care about results at world level races. They are relevant to exactly no one but the people actually racing, much like a McLaren or Ferrari victory in an F1 race has no relevance to me. From a pure geometry standpoint, the TLR22 is technically superior to the Associated cars, which btw have kept the exact same suspension geometry for the past 20 years. So much for "new". Their cars win. AE does typically hire the best drivers. They can afford to! Incidentally the 210 shares the AE suspension geometry so design isn't an issue.

Being able to afford drivers is the key. I see complaints that Durango isn't paying for the elite world's level drivers so they must not be relevant. However, that doesn't seem to matter since when they were paying for them people were still complaining that they won't use them because of parts availability. That's the true source of the issue, parts availability. It's being stated again in this thread. They didn't have the money for parts because they were paying big bucks for drivers.

At some point you need to press control, alt, delete and completely reset. Dump those guys for now, since it doesn't seem to be helping, and put that money back into the company. They've been doing that. They've started with 1/8 scale. That's a big scale here in the US and sales and feedback about them have been great. More people are going to Durango here. They don't have a huge building with 100 engineers and designers in it to work on every product at once. They started with 1/8 scale and will then move on to 1/10 scale. The problem for the hobbyists is that there are people that want 1/10 now, or onroad now, or a new 2WD sct now, and they feel they are being left out to dry since they aren't getting it at this exact moment. These guys can only do so much at once. They have prioritized and 1/10 2WD wasn't first. You start a project and work it through to completion before moving on. That's good business. If you try to do everything at once, you finish nothing. As a person in engineering, I can absolutely assure you that their re-organization is a positive thing.

There are plenty of competitors vehicles to choose from. Arguing here is pointless when you could just easily go buy an alternative. Shut up and go do it! Then stick to their threads. From this picture, it should be obvious that they've moved on to 2wd 1/10 scale. This is a sign of progress. Arguing with an R&D guy about sales and parts support, a department he has no role in, is an exercise in futility. You should be thankful that someone from the inside is even divulging anything at all!

Is Durango perfect? Nope. They've had their issues and they know it. They are clearly trying to get things fixed though and what they've done so far has been a very positive sign of things to come. They just can't fix it all at once.

Last edited by fredswain; 09-06-2015 at 10:39 PM.